Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ‘Honey Badger’ Nick Cummins could return home to play for Western Force in 2015 Super

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

‘Honey Badger’ Nick Cummins could return home to play for Western Force in 2015 Super

IAIN PAYTEN and JAMIE PANDARAM
    The Daily Telegraph
    September 26, 2014 12:00AM

NICK Cummins’ profile is going global but the Honey Badger could be back home in Super Rugby next year.

Cummins is currently playing in Japan and the quirky character is not only getting embraced by the locals, it’s also seen him — and his taped-up mullet — signed up by shampoo brand Head and Shoulders.

In a sponsor’s stable containing Sofia Vergara and Lionel Messi, he’ll be spruiking a brand with Old Spice in it (I’m on a horse) and a similar series of a quirky ads will soon hit our screens.

Fans have been missing weird and wonderful TV fare from Cummins after he moved to Japan in July to play for Coca Cola in the Top League.

The Badger may be back for a Super Rugby stint next year, however.

“It’s on the cards,” Cummins said from Fukuoka this week.

“It comes down to an agreement with my Japanese club and what they are going to say; if it’s something that can be in the best interests of Coca Cola and myself.”

The likely (correction "only") destination is the Force, who would have to get dispensation from the ARU (like the Burmbies did with George Smith last year). Perhaps I was wrong, he's off to the Tahs based on that!

“Nick is still under contract in Japan but we’d certainly love to have him back with us in the future,” Force CEO Mark Sinderberry said.

Cummins is slowly coming to grips with life in Japan, where he is known as the “Honey Budger”. He is learning Japanese but ordering food remains a theatre-sport.

“It’s a tough gig trying to order a chicken salad or whatever and you’re in there flapping your wings around trying to explain what you want. I am not going to go into how you try and explain you want some eggs,” he said.

Cummins will join an eclectic stable of global celebrities in his shampoo stable, including Vergara, Messi, and afro-king NFL star Troy Polamalu, whose hair is insured for $1 million.

The ocker Aussie stresses his mullet is not subject to celebrity treatment, however.

“The hair on this melon, there’s nothing special going on there trust me, other than a bit of Head and Shoulders of course,” he said.

“It’s a 100 per cent bog-standard do.”

“Rugby sevens” has joined “Japanese and French rugby clubs” as a vague new alternative for NRL agents to trot out in the press.

It is mostly nonsense, of course, and the 6.5%ers know the specifics will never be questioned.

Australian sevens coach Geraint John was interested to read reports recently, for example, he was “chasing” Marmin Barba, brother of Ben, and viewed him “as a star in the making”.

“I didn’t know much about him until I read the report saying we were after him, so that was a good introduction,” John said.

It could all end up smelling roses for Barba, though. Now alerted to the speedster, who is frustrated by a lack of gametime at the Broncos, John said he’d done some investigating.

“I’ll be honest since then I have asked some people what do you think and you can’t fault his pedigree, he may be a good player for sevens,” John said.

“But I’ve not had a phone call or an email. No-one has been in touch with us but we’d welcome some contact.”

UK types say the Will Genia to Bath deal in 2016 is signed, sealed and delivered. There is some talk Genia wants to explore the ARU’s new “flexible contract” but sources say it would come with a healthy haircut for Australia’s highest paid player, so breath-holding may not be wise.

Greater Sydney Rams coach Brian Melrose believes impressive skipper Jed Holloway can press for a starting berth for the Waratahs in 2105 as a lock.

In one of eight changes, Melrose shifted Holloway from No. 8 to the second row for the Rams’ clash with the North Harbour Rays on Sunday at Brookvale Oval.

“It’s a bit of a tweak to see if we can get a better result after coming up short against Queensland Country last week,” Melrose said.

“It also gives Jed a chance to push his claims on the Super Rugby side of things, and show his versatility. We’ve had a chat to Michael Cheika and he said that position could provide a good opportunity for Jed.”

It could be a good fit. Though in the Tahs squad, Holloway has been stuck behind Cliffy Palu, Pat McCutcheon and even Dave Dennis at No. 8, and the Tahs are searching for a replacement for Kane Douglas. Holloway has had an outstanding season for Souths and the Rams.

Meanwhile, halfback Josh Holmes has been picked on the wing for the Rays for Sunday’s clash.

The ARU are calling for the public to pick their favourite Wallaby of the last year for the John Eales medal night. The eligibility period stretches from November 2013 to October this year.

Pop along to the ARU website to vote.

THE Wallabies flew into Cape Town on Monday on the same flight as a Gen-Y Danish choir, which belted out a rousing hymn after the plane touched down safely on the tarmac.

A flight attendant then announced that “Wallaby player Ben is celebrating his birthday today”, and on cue the choir belted out Happy Birthday.

Only problem was none of the Bens in the team, or any other Wallaby player for that matter, had a birthday on Monday.

WALLABY forwards coach Andrew Blades has mixed feelings about his visit to Cape Town in 1992, when he was a member of the Australian team that last won a game in the city.

“I don’t think it counts, I didn’t get on the field,” Blades quipped.

“I know the feeling of how special it was when you see the guys win those games.

“That was an amazing tour, first tour back [after Apartheid] and seeing the country.

“South Africans at that stage were so desperate for people to see their country in a different light, it was really fascinating.”

Coach Ewen McKenzie was on the field that day as the team’s tighthead prop, and perhaps in a sign of superstition, has the team staying at the same inland hotel — the Southern Sun Newlands — as they stayed in 1992, which is a change from the waterfront hotels the Wallabies have camped at in recent years.

IF Cobus Reinach gets on the field against the Wallabies this week, it will be the 12th time a father and son have represented the Springboks. Reinach’s father Jaco played four Tests for the Boks against the New Zealand Cavaliers in 1986, and also represented South Africa in athletics.

“If I get on and make my debut it will definitely be special,” said Reinach, the back-up halfback.

“From the start, the coach has told me my opportunity will come, and I have had to keep working hard.

“Throughout the past few weeks I have really learned a lot, finally my chance is coming, and I’m planning to grab it with both hands.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wa...-1227070841118

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash

Cool

Tahs will get him. You wait and see! The ARU won't let him come back to the force because he's too good for us and with him we might actually make the finals. Or even worse - beat the Reds at suncorp again.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If Nick ends up going to either the Tahs or the Reds, I'm giving up on supporting Australian rugby. End of.

vCash
    thread is POINTLESS without the video!!!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I think if Nick is allowed to play in Australia next year by his Japanese Club, he will only play for the Force. He has loyalty and integrity. Love the above video.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kept One View Post
    I think if Nick is allowed to play in Australia next year by his Japanese Club, he will only play for the Force. He has loyalty and integrity. Love the above video.
    Not to mention a contract that was signed until the end of 2015 for Super Rugby, only his Wallabies contract was made redundant by ARU when he went to Japan.

vCash
    If he comes back to Australia it will be with the Force but having said that if he asked to be released from that Force contract he would be, if he were to end up at Qld it would be for family reasons.

I'd be disappointed he isn't playing for the Force but would completely understand the decision.

Last edited by jargan83; 26-09-14 at 11:06. Reason: Because I can

Champion
    vCash
    Fingers and toes crossed he can play for the Force next year.. Even if its just a few matches. Would love to see him back at NIB and in Perth again...

vCash
    The Western Force is the only Australian franchise that doesn't have some kind of sponsorship or partnership arrangement with Coca-Cola. Just saying...

vCash
    Yet

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kept One View Post
    Nick may have loyalty and integrity in spades, but the ARU cares nothing for such things outside of the heartlands and it's they who hold the purse strings.

vCash
    I'm sure if the HB wanted to [b]only[\b] play for the force and the ARU were indicating otherwise he'd tell them to hang themselves by their "purse strings" and go make some real cash in the NH.

Just sayin'...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    And I'd be encouraging him to do exactly that!

Veteran
    vCash
    he looks like he can't stop smiling in the advert.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast