Thread: Rugby reels from Eden Park mauling

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Rugby reels from Eden Park mauling

AAP
    By Jim Morton
    September 15, 2014, 2:56 pm

Hit hard by slumping crowds, the Australian Rugby Union has admitted the Wallabies' Eden Park nightmare has taken the "wind out of our sails".

The All Blacks' 51-20 demolition of Australia three weeks ago also appears to have taken a significant number out of their ticket sales in ensuing Perth and Gold Coast Tests.

Only 14,281 fans - the lowest Test crowd in 16 years - turned out for Saturday night's Rugby Championship clash with Argentina at Cbus Super Stadium.

It was 8000 less than the corresponding fixture two years earlier, mirroring the decline for the previous week's Wallabies encounter in Perth where the crowd was 25,718 to watch Australia get out of jail against South Africa at Paterson Stadium.

ARU chief executive Bill Pulver admitted the drop-offs, which also occurred in Brisbane and Melbourne in the June series against France, were a major concern to the cash-strapped code.

Pulver stressed the revenue-sapping reduction in crowd numbers was a global phenomenon across virtually all sports, but felt it was inherent on the Wallabies to be "winning and entertaining".

"If you can find that sweet intersection of those two you have an opportunity to get the crowds back," he told AAP.

The Wallabies have done their best to do both in the past 10 months, recording a 9-1-1 record over 11 Tests and average three tries a game.

However, what momentum that built up following seven straight wins and then a 12-12 draw against New Zealand in Sydney was lost once Australia forfeited the Bledisloe Cup for the 12th straight year in forgettable scenes in Auckland.

"I think that game at Eden Park, because we all felt we were in with a serious opportunity, took the wind out of our sails a little bit," Pulver said.

"But the reality is we have lost only one of our last 11 games.

"That New Zealand team have only lost one of their past 42 Tests, so statistically there's a very strong case for them to be the best rugby team in the history of the game."

Although the Wallabies get another chance for an elusive victory over the All Blacks in five weeks' time, Pulver argued their next fixture - against South Africa in Cape Town on Saturday week - was just as big, if not bigger.

"The game in two weeks' time is enormously important," he said.

"If we can beat South Africa we would move to number two on the IRB rankings and also reclaim the Mandela Shield."

Despite the weekend's paltry crowd, Cbus Super Stadium is currently pencilled in to host Argentina again in 2018 as the last game in a three-Test agreement.

But the ARU says Gold Coast, to host the world sevens series next month, is in danger of losing future international rugby events, especially if they don't pack their 27,000-seat stadium.

An expanded world sevens series is set to kick-off in February 2016, six months before the sport debuts in the Olympics, and Pulver indicated there would be a bunfight for hosting rights.

"It's fair to say we have interest in virtually every state for that event," he said.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...-park-mauling/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Be interesting to compare the drop off in Wallaby attendance with the attendance at S15 games in Aus over the same period. Wonder if there is a disconnect between the two.

If the Wallaby drop off is bigger, that suggests to me that there's a problem with the national set up, not the code itself.

vCash
    Crowds are down across the AFL and NRL as well so that might have something to do with it. The article I posted yesterday said tickets to the Test vs the Argies were a steal at $88 for a family. but the Adult prices were $71 and child $45 for the Cat A tickets, not exactly cheap.

I think I paid $210 for my ticket to the Bledisloe Cup game in Brisbane next month.

Rugby nuts like us on this site are probably going to pay the prices because we want to see Rugby at the highest level, but I think the ARU are pricing themselves out of the casual punter market.

I hope the Gold Coast lose the Sevens and that it goes to Sydney, then people might actually turn up to it.

Last edited by jargan83; 16-09-14 at 08:08.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I hope the Gold Coast lose the Sevens and that it goes to Sydney, then people might actually turn up to it.
    Like me probably.

I wonder about the mentality of Australian rugby supporters sometimes. When NSW was losing Origin for all those years the crowds actually increased as people got more desperate to get the trophy back. Not the same with the Bledisloe evidently.

vCash
    I paid over $110 per ticket for the Spewbiaco game (my grand-daughter is 13 so full price for her) if it wasn't for a couple not turning up for the game, we sat in their seats, we would have been sat in the rain! No one but a real die hard would pay that, sit in the rain, for a mediocrity game and view! I went mainly with the view, if we don't patronize the game, the ARU are likely to take the tests from WA!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Like me probably.

I wonder about the mentality of Australian rugby supporters sometimes. When NSW was losing Origin for all those years the crowds actually increased as people got more desperate to get the trophy back. Not the same with the Bledisloe evidently.
    You're not reading the 'right' forums then.
    Don't you know that rugby in Australia has to be played in Sydney if it's to have any hope of surviving?
    Playing it anywhere else, other than the odd game here and there in Brisbane, won't pull the crowds that rugby deserves.

vCash
    My daughter has just tried to get tickets for 18th Oct game in Brissie........only 23 tickets left!