Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tongan Thor Taniela Tupou set to snub New Zealand and defect to Australia

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Tongan Thor Taniela Tupou set to snub New Zealand and defect to Australia

Jamie Pandaram
    The Daily Telegraph
    September 08, 2014 12:00AM

THE world’s most sought-after teenage rugby player, Taniela “Tongan Thor” Tupou, is on the verge of an amazing defection to Australia after rejecting the chance to play for the New Zealand Schoolboys.

Tupou was given a weekend deadline to sign a loyalty agreement with the New Zealand Rugby Union and therefore be eligible for its Schoolboys team, which will be announced on Monday, and he has not done so.

This is despite Kiwi officials making special dispensation for Tupou to be named in the squad so that he could commit to the NZRU after initially being blocked because he only carried a Tongan passport.

The snub now leaves him open to pursue a move to Australia, a country Tupou has never lived in, although he has grown up supporting the Wallabies.

The 18-year-old remains eligible for any country because he has not played for any representative team that would lock him in to one *nation’s system under the laws of World Rugby.

Tupou became an internet sensation a few months ago when he scored three blockbusting tries in the first 20 minutes of a nationally televised school First XV game.

The 135kg prop outpaced rival backline players in a *series of weaving runs from his own half, attracting the attention of clubs around the world.

Tupou is being pursued by French and English clubs, but his family’s preference is for him to remain on this side of the world.

And by knocking back the opportunity to play for the junior New Zealand side, Australia is now the clear front-runner to secure the budding superstar.

Only the Melbourne Rebels have filled their Super Rugby roster for next year, and there will be keen interest from the other four Australian teams for Tupou’s services.

Waratahs coach Michael Cheika has previously said that he had had an eye on Tupou well before he emerged on television with his three-try effort.

Few teenage players have caught the imagination of the rugby public like Tupou, who was bestowed the Tongan Thor nickname by his Sacred Heart schoolmates.

The Tongan-born prodigy has been likened to a front-row version of Jonah Lomu by those who have witnessed his trampling runs.

New Zealand changed its rules to integrate Tupou into its system and allow him to play for a national secondary schools team when it first appeared bureaucracy could deny him.

Tupou has spoken publicly only once since bursting on to the scene with his hat-trick, telling the New Zealand Herald in July of his frustrations at the possibility of being denied selection into the schools team.

“They said that ‘if you’re not on a New Zealand passport and you’ve been here for four years, you can play for the team’,” Tupou said.

“But I’ve been here for four years and they said I can’t play for the New Zealand A team. It’s not fair. Maybe I’m not good enough to stay here.

“But that’s one of my goals this year — to play for the New Zealand A team. If I can play with them, then maybe I’ll change my mind from going to Australia. If I have the chance to play for the All Blacks, I’ll take it.”

Not signing the NZRU loyalty agreement is Tupou’s strongest indication where his future lies.

The New Zealand Schoolboys under-18s team will play Australia and Fiji later this month.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wa...-1227050655864

So therefore

1. Rebels are full - not going there
    2. Reds - can't be any $$$ left after Hunt, JOC, Genia, Horwill, The K's, The Fainga'a's etc - not going there
    3. Waratahs - see Reds above and replace names.
    4. Brumbies - possibility
    5. Force - not enough support from ARU - not coming here.

Looks like he is off to Canberra, but don't be surprised if he ends up north or well north of there

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    If he is that good, he will end up in Sydney or - at a push - Brisbane. It'll be a case of 'make it work; don't care how you do it; just make it work'.

Did the QRU actually end up paying anything for Hunt? Do we know for a fact that they are stumping up all of JOC's salary? What about the Wallatahs - do we know for a fact that the ARU isn't dealing in brown paper bags there?

Weasels I tell ya!

vCash
    "Officially" they "assisted" in the Hunt deal and have sweet FA to do with JOC "officially" that is

Player
    vCash
    Can he scrummage?

Player
    vCash
    School rugby would be a lot different to playing Super or Test Rugby as Beale found out. Why does this young guy want to play for Australia when he has never even lived here, there can't be any loyalty to the country

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    He will end up in Sydney or Brisbane due to large Tongan populations not because of ARU back room deals

vCash
    Id be more excited if it was a 75m kicking, side stepping, back managing, cool calm and collected flyhalf instead!!!

vCash
    Funny how he "...remains eligible for any country because he has not played for any representative team..."

You'd think the laws would say something like "...currently only eligible for Tonga...because he's Tongan..."

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Sounds to me like he just has a snit on because they didn't roll out the red carpet and brass band, so is using the threat of Australia as a negotiation position. If so, seems a bit of an entitlement issue waiting to happen. I'm sure he could learn a lot at Q'ld, just maybe not what he should.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Why would you sign an 18 year old prop on a Super Rugby contract? He isn't going to be ready to play for at least 2 or 3 years.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    Yeah agree, sounds already like he's hard work, giving out ultimatum's at 18, what sort of a dickhead is he going to be when he's 22.Don't think we'll be hearing much more about him somehow

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    "Officially" they "assisted" in the Hunt deal and have sweet FA to do with JOC "officially" that is
    Check the next annual report for any outrageously expensive ground hire fees. Not that it would raise any eyebrows. The report on the last investigation on ground hire fees is sitting on the seabed somewhere between North Head and Circular Quay.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Yeah agree, sounds already like he's hard work, giving out ultimatum's at 18, what sort of a dickhead is he going to be when he's 22.Don't think we'll be hearing much more about him somehow
    So you're tipping the Reds then?

C'mon the

vCash

Teenage rugby superstar Taniela Tupou, the Tongan Thor, snubs All Blacks to defect to

JAMIE PANDARAM
    The Daily Telegraph
    September 08, 2014 10:30PM

‘TONGAN Thor’ Taniela Tupou has urged his “haters” to calm down after he confirmed his sensational defection from New Zealand to Australia.

The 18-year-old will join an Australian Super Rugby team next year after rejecting a landmark offer from the New Zealand Rugby Union, which for the first time in history bid top-up money to a sign a schoolboy.

Tupou, the hottest teenage prospect in world rugby, officially ended New Zealand’s hopes of retaining his services on Monday, telling the Daily Telegraph: “I will be coming to Australia, it is the best thing for my family”.

Tupou’s decision has caused an uproar across the Tasman, with internet forums criticising his move or simply downplaying his talent.

“I see all the haters’ comments, what they say about me. Calm down, I’m only 18, I’m still at school.

“It’s hard, I am just trying to go to school, and sometimes the haters’ comments make me feel weak.

“But I have to be strong.”

The NSW Waratahs, Queensland Reds, Brumbies and Western Force are all in the running to sign the barnstorming 135kg prop, with only Melbourne Rebels having filled their squad quota for the 2015 season.

Reds coach Richard Graham confirmed his interest in signing Tupou, who had been pursued in New Zealand by the Chiefs and Blues.

“I have been aware of Taniela’s ability since April when the Reds toured New Zealand, I think he is a phenomenal athlete and his YouTube clip in late May was a snippet of what he is capable of,” Graham said.

“Like everyone, we would be interested in bringing a player of his quality into our program.”

The Waratahs, Brumbies and Force did not return calls about Tupou on Monday.

In an extraordinary move, Tupou will walk away from New Zealand despite being offered extra money from the NZRU — the only time they have made such an offer to a schoolboy.

While Tupou has fielded big-money offers from France and England, he said it was best for him and his family to live in Australia, where his older brother Criff works as a miner and will oversee his career.

“I can play there and get help from my brother, and then we can help my mum,” Tupou said.

“It could still be done in New Zealand but it would be harder, and I have always supported the Wallabies, and that makes me want to go to Australia. I just love the Wallabies, I don’t know what it is about them.”

Criff Tupou said: “What people should understand is that this in not about what Nela wants, or what I want, but what is best for our poor little family.

“Playing rugby for New Zealand or Australia will always come second to our family.

“My mum lives in Tonga, she would not handle the weather in New Zealand.

“And I have a good job in Australia and can look after Nela.

“If things don’t work out for him in rugby, what can he do in New Zealand? He is better off in Australia where I can help him get a job.

“New Zealand has more rugby opportunities, but Australia has more work and opportunities, and I need to look after my little brother.

“We haven’t signed a contract with anyone, we will wait and see what offers we get and make a decision soon.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wa...-1227051890943

vCash
    Sounds like Criff lives in QLD and that Tupou will be joining the ARUReds team then.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast