Thread: Racing Metro’s $1.4 million offer for Matt Giteau shows what Israel Folau could comma

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Racing Metro’s $1.4 million offer for Matt Giteau shows what Israel Folau could comma

FOX SPORTS
    September 10, 2014 4:27PM

AUSTRALIA could soon boast the highest paid rugby player on the planet … but it won’t be Israel Folau.

He won’t be wearing a Wallabies jersey either.

If French newspapers are to be believed, Toulon star and former Wallabies gun Matt Giteau has reportedly been offered a staggering $1.4 million a season from Parisian club Racing Metro.

Midi Olympique broke news of Racing’s interest in Giteau on Monday but also noted the club had eyes for injured All Blacks ace Dan Carter and France flyhalf Remi Tales.

Giteau is under contract with Toulon for the 2014/2015 northern season but could test himself on the open market at the end of that period and Racing Metro have already expressed an interest.

Irish flyhalf Jonathan Sexton will depart the Parisian club and return home to Leinster ahead of next year’s World Cup, leaving Racing with a huge hole to fill at No.10.

Giteau has been among the Top 14 and Heineken Cup’s most consistent performers since he departed Australia in 2011 after falling out of favour with then Wallabies coach Robbie Deans.

Playing outside Jonny Wilkinson last season Giteau scored nine tries and 104 points as Toulon lifted the French trophy while such was his display in the European decider with Saracens, the English legend would later question how any Australian side ever let him go.

The news on Giteau only reinforces the Australian Rugby Union’s decision to alter its policy on sabbaticals and allow players to spend one season abroad to top up their bank balances.

The ARU had been staunch in its opposition to player sabbaticals throughout the year but made a dramatic U-turn on the subject late last month, just a few weeks after Nick Cummins made a shock move to Japan.

Folau is likely to command the same amount - if not more than - Giteau’s rumoured offer while the likes of Quade Cooper and Kurtley Beale would also be in high demand.

The ARU would simply not be able to compete with cashed up European and Japanese clubs should offers like that rumoured for Giteau become common place.

Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie on Tuesday played down speculation surrounding Cooper’s future, saying he hadn’t picked up any signs the sidelined star wanted out of Australian rugby.

“I don’t get any inkling that he’s disappearing,” he said.

“He’s working hard on his rehab to get back on the field. That’s part of the discussions I’ve had.

“I’m not sitting here nervous with his intentions. I haven’t picked up any mood that there’s any reason for me to be worried.”

Whatever the case it seems Australian rugby fans need to prepare themselves for what is likely to become a steady flow of players heading offshore over the coming years.

Folau is contracted with the ARU through to the end of next year’s World Cup.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/wa...-1227054050838

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Good money if you can get it!

vCash
    Murad Boudjelal offered SBW 2 mill a year to stay before his first tilt at an AB jersey. And was knocked back.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    It's a shame wallaby jerseys don't carry the same value to players. When I wuz a lad a wallaby jersey came first, god second...hunger for the jersey....then I discovered "the piss" and hopes were dashed. Now I'm old and crankier than a TWF moderator

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Controversy corner

vCash
    Maybe Giteau did value the jersey. Trouble was he thought it was a gimme for him and it was taken away. I think he'll get over it whenever he checks his bank balance. Might rival the bro-in-law's.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Now I'm old and crankier than a TWF moderator

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    It's a shame wallaby jerseys don't carry the same value to players. When I wuz a lad a wallaby jersey came first, god second...hunger for the jersey....then I discovered "the piss" and hopes were dashed. Now I'm old and crankier than a TWF moderator
    The peoples moderator still loves you Rex

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    but you're still banned for a week?