Thread: Todd Louden, Zane Hilton join Melbourne Rebels coaching staff as Matt Cockbain, Sean

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Todd Louden, Zane Hilton join Melbourne Rebels coaching staff as Matt Cockbain, Sean

Leo Schlink
    Herald Sun
    September 04, 2014 10:00AM

MELBOURNE continues to wring off-field changes as it searches for elusive Super Rugby success, securing Todd Louden and Zane Hilton as assistant coaches to Tony McGahan.

Louden and Hilton will replace Wallaby great Matt Cockbain, who resigned last month, and Melbourne Rising coach Sean Hedger, who will leave the organisation at the end of the national rugby championships in November.

Melbourne CEO Rob Clarke confirmed McGahan had overseen the revamp after the Rebels slumped to the bottom of the Super Rugby table after finishing 12th last year.

“This is the coaching structure that will take the Rebels through to the end of the 2016 season,” Clarke said.

“With the on-field coaching and management structure secured for a further two seasons, this is confirmation that we are confident in the club’s direction and development of our rugby program.”

Louden was an assistant coach at the Pretoria Bulls in 2007 when the South African powerhouse won the title.

He then returned to Australia as attack coach at NSW when the Waratahs reached the final.

Louden has since coached in Japan, guiding the Ricoh Black Rams — now led by former Melbourne mentor Damien Hill — into three seasons of successive finals.

“I am absolutely honoured to be joining the Melbourne Rebels,” Louden said.

“It’s an exciting time for the Rebels, where the entire on and off field teams have a strong sense of purpose and solidarity.

“It’s all led by Tony McGahan, who I believe has a great vision for the team.

“The squad is young with great potential, with many players that I have coached previously and watched develop, and I am excited to work with them once again to help them achieve success individually and as a squad over the next couple of seasons.

“Zane Hilton and I are blessed to be entering an Australian Super Rugby team with such passionate supporters, highly professional staff and a strong program foundation from which to develop the squad.

“We will be working our butts off to ensure the Melbourne Rebels are a genuine threat in Super Rugby, and a team that Victorian and Australian rugby supporters can be proud of.”

According to Melbourne officials, Hilton is “regarded as a hard-nosed forwards coach with international experience.”

Hilton has coached in Italy and Japan, also tasting success with Brisbane’s Brothers club where he savoured a premiership as head coach and general manager.

Louden’s touted arrival comes as Melbourne Rising sits atop the national rugby championship under Sean Hedger.

The Rising will attempt to protect its unbeaten run against Brisbane City at Ballymore this weekend.

Hedger has made three changes to the Rising, regaining Wallaby Luke Burgess and promoting hooker Tom Sexton to the starting line-up and backrower Pom Simona to the bench.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/su...-1227047326653

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Always rated Louden as a coach

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    This could end up with the Reds as bottom Australian team next year (depending on how well Hunt, JO'C and Graham take them)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon