Thread: 2014 U23 10-A-SIDE Round 1 at Wanneroo this Friday night

vCash

2014 U23 10-A-SIDE Round 1 at Wanneroo this Friday night

An exciting, new Under 23’s competition kicks off this Friday night, showcasing some of Perth rugby’s best up-and-coming talent.

The idea was conceived when local Perth clubs indicated, through an end-of-season survey, their desire for a new and exciting 10-a-side non-traditional competition to give Perth’s young stars an opportunity to perform on another stage.

The competition will run over three weeks and will use the same rule changes as the Buildcorp National Rugby Championship (NRC) with the competition culminating with the grand final as a curtain-raiser to the Perth Spirit’s against the Sydney Stars at Joondalup’s HBF Arena on Sunday, 28 September.

The teams include Wanneroo, UWA, Associates, Southern Lions, West Scarborough, Kalamunda, Mandurah and Palmyra, with an aim to enable players, coaches and administrators to become further embedded with their clubs in what is a crucial developmental step for promising local talent.

2014 U23 10-A-SIDE FIXTURES:

ROUND 1

Wanneroo September 5th

Southern Lions September 5th
    Wanneroo v Kalamunda
    7.00pm
    UWA v Mandurah
    Wests v Associates
    7.25pm
    Southern Lions v Palmyra
    Associates v Kalamunda
    8.05pm
    UWA v Palmyra
    Wanneroo v Wests
    8.30pm
    Southern Lions v Mandurah

- See more at: http://www.rugbywa.com.au/article/pe....TnAanRFO.dpuf

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    That's interesting.

According to the Palmyra club website Palmyra are playing Southern Lions at Southern Lions at 7.25pm and then playing UWA at the same venue at 8.05pm this Friday 5/9/'14.

Must have hired a helicopter to make it to Wanneroo and back ...

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't know what happened at Wanneroo tonight, but at Southern Lions Success grounds, Mandurah beat UWA and Southern Lions, and Palmyra beat UWA and Southern Lions.

Not sure whether Associates, Wanneroo, Wests and Kalamunda turned up, as I had other engagements.

Hopefully they did.

vCash
    I went down to watch the Under 23 Comp last Friday at Southern Lions as well & I was impressed with pretty much all of it. The Lions ground has great facilities for a comp like this, bar & food outlet all open & well priced.
    The main pitch was used & the lighting, which has recently been upgraded was sufficient for the night game so all credit to the Lions club for that.

Arrived to see the start of UWA v Pirates. Both teams adjusting to 10s with similar play to a full 15s game but the free flowing, ball moving & support from Pirates proved the successful plan.
    Whilst the game was on, I noticed the warming up of the Pally team & the speed of their movement in ball transference as well as positional support ... was looking forward to see that on the pitch.(Apparently most of the state u20s were in that side)
    Next on was the Lions & Pally & it didn't disappoint. Pally 23s moved the ball well albeit a little directionless at times, but that was due in some part to a spirited Lions team in defence. When the Lions did have possession, it was very individual based, taking it on too far & too many times dying with it in possession to be turned over.
    Next was Pally & UWA, the Pally team appeared fully responsible for the tactics of the previous game & a comprehensive plan was executed to a much greater degree it appeared. UWA 23s being again one dimensional in both their games I felt.
    Lastly was Pirates against the hosts & again the Pirates ball moving game proved too good for Lions ... that kicked a fair amount of possession away with no apparent aim.

A lot of good rugby was played by all 4 teams, some impressive performances & some serious gas on show from the youngsters. My thoughts were that they were playing much more a 15s game & missing the numbers. If the approach was more like a 7s game plan perhaps the advantage of that approach would be the additional 3 to the strategy

To their credit the set of young officials that swapped roles of touch judge & ref around the games was as positive as the teams' performances & good to see.

It was an impressive evening & much credit must go to the teams & their management for putting on quite a show. Dare I say it but credit to RWA for the comp …!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Thanks Kev,.
    That was a really good round up for those of us who didn't get there.

Red Carded
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political BS View Post
    Thanks Kev,.
    That was a really good round up for those of us who didn't get there.
    Well Political BS sounds like there is a bit of a man crush going on there with Kev , wouldn't happen in Gosnells .

Apprentice
    vCash

2014 U23 10 A SIDE Round 1 at Wanneroo this Friday night

no, thats bad lol

I know i am good looking and all, but why share with everyone else.

And I just found out i cannot make it saturday night, unless i come around midnight, but i hope to be there on friday night for 10pm or 1030 latest