Thread: Ref admitted Test blunders, says All Blacks coach

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Ref admitted Test blunders, says All Blacks coach

AFP
    August 21, 2014, 10:52 am

Auckland (AFP) - All Blacks coach Steve Hansen Thursday said referee Jaco Peyper admitted a series of blunders during last week's record-denying Test draw with Australia -- but added it was no excuse for his team's poor performance.

Coach Steve Hansen, who sought a meeting with the South African whistleblower after the 12-12 draw in Sydney, said Peyper "put his hand up" and confessed he was wrong with one yellow card and several free kicks. (I guess we'll just take your word for that hey Steve)

But Hansen said the All Blacks also had an off-day as they were halted one short of a record 18th straight Test win by the fired-up Wallabies.

"I know why we didn't perform at the weekend. There were certain areas of our game we were very poor at," Hanson said, as he announced three changes to his starting line up for the return Test in Auckland on Saturday.

But as much as the All Blacks were outplayed, Hansen said the refereeing did not help.

"We've spoken to the referee about the scrummaging. He put his hand up, said he got the free-kicks wrong," he said.

"The first yellow card (against prop Wyatt Crockett) was wrong -- the ball was out.

"It was a good conversation, I respect the man for his honesty. He's no different than players. Some days you have a bad day. He had a bad day at the office and put his hand up.

"But I've got to emphasise, it wasn't just his problem. We had a hell of a bad day ourselves so we'll forget about him and concentrate on what we can do."

Hansen said he would meet with French referee Romaine Poite, who is handling Saturday's match, before kick-off on Saturday.

The All Blacks have made two injury-enforced changes, with Liam Messam and Ryan Crotty coming in for Jerome Kaino and Ma'a Nonu, while Conrad Smith returns to outside centre after missing the first Test due to the birth of his son.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...-blacks-coach/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Just show Hansen may be getting a tad worried and making sure he tries to get to the refs first. Hopefully it backfires on him. Glad to see Link hasn't sunk to his level on blaming decisions for a lot of their game. Personally I thought the Wallabies defo had the upper hand especially in 2nd half - just needed to really get aggro and put the boot well and truly in. Wobblies need to find their aggro for Saturday. Good to read too that Link has finally publically acknowledged Hodgo for his potential. Just wish he'd give him some game time, not like leaving it for an injury like TPN before they realise the talent that's under his nose such as Nathan! TPN won't have much chance of getting back into the squad now!

vCash
    Saturday?

Show's this is probably rubbish, coaches & captains normally meet with the referee on the Wednesday before a test match to discuss such things.

WARURA Referee
    I do it because I love the game.