Thread: Smith beats Dagg for NZ fullback jersey

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Smith beats Dagg for NZ fullback jersey

AAP
    August 14, 2014, 1:12 am

Ben Smith has beaten off Israel Dagg for fullback in an otherwise predictable All Blacks team for the first Bledisloe Cup Test against Australia.

Smith excelled at fullback in the England series when Dagg was injured and though the All Blacks selectors are known for their loyalty, Smith's form was irrepressible.

Dagg is not even on the bench, with Beauden Barrett and Malakai Fekitoa covering all the backline positions bar halfback.

"While we have been very happy with Israel Dagg's performances at 15, Ben has come in and raised the bar to another level," head coach Steve Hansen said.

"The challenge for Israel now is to get his performances - when he gets the opportunity - to an even higher level."

Jerome Kaino's 2014 form has earned him the No.6 jersey, and Steven Luatua's ability to cover lock has given him a spot on the bench.

Hansen said last year's blindside flanker incumbent Liam Messam needed another week off after a heavy Super Rugby workload but would be back in contention for selection next week.

Wyatt Crockett will start at loosehead prop after Tony Woodcock's season-ending shoulder injury, with Crusaders prop Joe Moody getting a chance to earn his first Test from the bench.

Sam Cane comes back from injury to be the back-up for captain Richie McCaw, while TJ Perenara got the nod over Tawera Kerr-Barlow to be the reserve halfback.

Prop Charlie Faumuina was a late withdrawal after falling ill, while locks Dominic Bird and Patrick Tuipulotu and first five-eighth Daniel Carter were ruled out by injuries.

Dagg, Kerr-Barlow, Colin Slade, Jeremy Thrush, Nathan Harris and Kane Hames will head to Sydney as cover for the selected 23, while outside back Charles Piutau has been released to play for Auckland in the national provincial championship this weekend.

All Blacks: Ben Smith, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Julian Savea, Aaron Cruden, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (captain), Jerome Kaino, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Dane Coles, Wyatt Crockett. Reserves: Keven Mealamu, Ben Franks, Joe Moody, Steven Luatua, Sam Cane, TJ Perenara, Beauden Barrett, Malakai Fekitoa.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...llback-jersey/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Some Big names and experience but will the tempo of the game play a big part of the result.... It will be a great game and I think the age of the players and how the super 15 has gone will play a big part... Many players have played some hard games in a long season...

This could be the making or the breaking of the tasman battle on just how tired the ABs are

vCash
    "Otherwise predictable"? I reckon a lot of people would have predicted that one. Not good for us of course...

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Conrad Smith in doubt for Bledisloe

AAP
    August 15, 2014, 8:09 am

All Blacks centre Conrad Smith is in serious doubt for Saturday night's Bledisloe Cup opener against the Wallabies in Sydney as he rushes home for the birth of his child.

Coach Steve Hansen has confirmed that rookie Malakai Fekitoa will slot in at outside centre if Smith is unable to return in time for the match at ANZ Stadium.

Crusaders centre Ryan Crotty has been called up as the bench replacement after Smith was released to return to New Zealand to be with his wife Lee-Ann, who is expecting their first child.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...for-bledisloe/

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Coach Steve Hansen has confirmed that rookie Malakai Fekitoa will slot in at outside centre if Smith is unable to return in time for the match at ANZ Stadium.
    Oh yeah because that's much worse for the All Blacks