Thread: Cystic fibrosis sufferer Nathan Charles set to fulfil Wallabies dream

vCash

Cystic fibrosis sufferer Nathan Charles set to fulfil Wallabies dream

WHEN Nathan Charles was three months old, his parents were told he had a life expectancy of 10 years.

Charles, now 25, has to take 28 tablets daily to keep the incurable cystic fibrosis disease, which mostly affects the lungs and gives sufferers huge difficulty breathing, at bay.

The Western Force hooker has got used to proving people wrong and will achieve the dream many thought impossible by starting for the Wallabies in Bledisloe Cup clash against the New Zealand All Blacks on Saturday.

Nathan Charles training with the Wallabies earlier this month, he looks likely to make hi

Nathan Charles training with the Wallabies earlier this month, he looks likely to make his starting debut this weekend. Picture: Adam Head Source: News Corp Australia

His previous two caps, both agianst France, came from the bench and Charles is the only athlete in the world playing a contact sport with the disease.

“Getting a run against the All Blacks would be amazing,” Charles told The Daily Telegraph.

“What better way to test yourself against the best team in the world to see where you are at.”

The young man from Glenhaven has had an incredible journey to become a Wallabies hooker.

Despite having cystic fibrosis, a five-year-old Charles ran on to a rugby field with the Wahroonga Tigers, determined to make sure the illness didn't deny him the chance to one day play for Australia.

Nathan Charles with girlfriend Verity Simmons, a netballer for the Queensland Firebirds w

Nathan Charles with girlfriend Verity Simmons, a netballer for the Queensland Firebirds who suffers from diabetes. Source: News Corp Australia

In 2010 he made a sudden sacrifice, leaving his hometown, family and friends to chase a professional career.

During a game with Sydney University in the Shute Shield in 2010, he was pulled off the field and offered a short-term contract to play out the season with Super Rugby club Western Force.

Coming into the club as injury cover, he impressed in his seven games and is still with the club today.

After great performances with the Force this season, Charles earned a call-up in to the Wallabies squad.

Nathan Charles’ performances for the Western Force have catapulted him in to Wallabies co

Nathan Charles’ performances for the Western Force have catapulted him in to Wallabies contention. Picture: AP Photo/Western Force, True Spirit Photos, Gordon Pettigrew. Source: AP

Charles’s mother, Heike, partner and Queensland netball player Verity Simmons and several family members will be at ANZ Stadium to cheer him on.

“To achieve what he has is amazing,” Heike said.

“He’s dreamt of playing for Australia since he first ran on to a football field.

“Nathan wants to be known for his rugby, and he is an inspiration to a lot of people, particularly sick children.”

Mrs Charles is hopeful that she will see her son run out on the field to start for Australia.

Nathan Charles has never let his illness get the better of him. Picture: Matt King/Getty

Nathan Charles has never let his illness get the better of him. Picture: Matt King/Getty Images. Source: Getty Images

“Trying to get to his games is a very expensive exercise,” she said. ‘(It will be great if he starts) as he has a lot of friends here in Sydney.

“Even if it was halfway around the world, we would still get there.”

Charles, who went to Samuel Gilbert Public School and Knox Grammar, was vice-captain of the first XV at Knox and was recently nominated for the Pride of Australia medal in the courage category.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Is Nathan's story inspiring? Comment below

“When people say hero and inspiration, I mean those are two pretty big words and I don’t see myself as that,” he told The Sunday Times last month.

“I don’t see myself any differently to the average joe

Cystic Fibrosis

● Nathan Charles wants to be known more for his rugby skills than his cystic fibrosis, but his achievements makes him one of the most inspirational rugby players.

● The condition most critically impacts on the lungs as well as the pancreas, liver, and intestine. It has no cure.

● Difficulty breathing is the most serious symptom with sinus infections, lack of growth and infertility also possible.

● Charles is the only athlete in the world known to be playing a contact sport with cystic fibrosis. He has to take 28 tablets daily.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cystic-...-1227020664977

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    OK. I am going to have a Whinge.

Why does EVERY article about how well Charles is doing has to begin with he has Cystic Fibrosis. How about stop defining the bloke by the fact he has a disease and give him just the kudos he deserves. In the beginning he didn't say anything about it as he didn't want to be judged on it. Now every article goes to great lengths to say he has SF.

It may be that i read most of the articles, so I already know and see the repitition, but by now they must know that he is an outstanding athlete, but they keep getting surprised that he can do it "even with SF".

It just shits me, judge the man by the man, perhaps finish the article with SF, and start it with he is getting his first test start as that is the real news in the article.

... Now breathe...

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I totally agree Palitu! Was going to say the same myself!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    OK. I am going to have a Whinge.

Why does EVERY article about how well Charles is doing has to begin with he has Cystic Fibrosis. How about stop defining the bloke by the fact he has a disease and give him just the kudos he deserves. In the beginning he didn't say anything about it as he didn't want to be judged on it. Now every article goes to great lengths to say he has SF.

It may be that i read most of the articles, so I already know and see the repitition, but by now they must know that he is an outstanding athlete, but they keep getting surprised that he can do it "even with SF".

It just shits me, judge the man by the man, perhaps finish the article with SF, and start it with he is getting his first test start as that is the real news in the article.

... Now breathe...
    Well said mate. He's there cos he's a fu@kin great hooker

Go smash the AB's Nathan.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Nothing to add Palitu, but a thumbs up just didn't feel like enough!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    I know Cheese wants to be known primarily for his Rugby prowess. I get a bit pissed off with the emphasis on his rising above the illness too. But it's the first Bledisloe and there is a much wider following for that than just us usual suspects ATM. He's chosen to make it public, probably to give hope and inspiration to kids with the same.

Knock 'em dead Nathan.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David