Thread: Two points for penalties and field goals, three points for conversions — rugby’s radi

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Two points for penalties and field goals, three points for conversions — rugby’s radi

Jon Geddes
    The Daily Telegraph
    August 13, 2014 9:12AM

THE value of penalty and field goals is set to be reduced to two points while a conversion will worth three points in the new National Rugby Championship that kicks off next week.

The change, which had to be approved by the IRB, is designed to place a greater value on try-scoring while also maintaining the penalty goal option to punish teams for offending.

That is one of several law changes expected to be signed off on by head coaches prior to the official competition launch at Coogee Oval today.

Other changes include:

* A time limit of 30 seconds to set a scrum.

* The time to kick a conversion has also been reduced from 90 to 45 seconds and will be managed by a “shot clock”.

* Quick lineout throw-ins allowed even if the ball is touched by any player or support staff as long as it is with the same ball.

* If a non-throwing team does not genuinely contest the lineout ball “the straightness of the throw is not considered.”

* Instead of the four-try point bonus point system, the winning team receive will receive a bonus point if they finish three or more tries ahead of their opponents.

The principle behind the changes was to enhance exciting play by rewarding risk.

As well they were designed to avoid complicated interpretations of the laws.

World Cup winning Wallabies coach Bob Dwyer, who was on a committee who made recommendations on law changes for the competition, believes there was a real risk reducing the value of penalty goals.

“It will only encourage professional fouls,” he said.

His panel recommended really draconian measures for players who committed a deliberate offence to prevent a try.

But he backed the other changes, saying anything that speeds up the game was a good thing.

Full list of law variations and interpretation changes

Competition and law changes

- Reduce penalty goal and drop goal value to two points; and increase conversion goal value to three points

- Instead of four try bonus point system, the winning team is awarded a bonus point for finishing three or more tries ahead of their opponents

- Pre-2013 TMO protocol to be used (i.e. for try scoring and in-goal situations only)

Referee interpretation changes

- “If non-throwing team does not contest for the ball near where the ball is thrown, the referee may apply material effect and play on if the throw is not straight”.

- After time expires at half-time and full-time, if awarded a penalty kick, player can kick to touch and play the lineout

- Reduced time limits down to 45 seconds for a penalty goal and 60 seconds for a conversion

- Manage a time limit (30 seconds) to set a scrum

- Defending half-back cannot enter area (“pocket”) between flanker and number 8 at scrum

- Increased latitude in the area where quick taps can be taken at a penalty or free kick

- More focus on applying Laws once maul formed

- Quick throw-ins allowed even if touched by another player or person; must be same ball

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/tw...-1227022666947

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Veteran
    vCash
    I would like to see if a quick tap is taken and the offending team interfere without even attempting to get onside, then it should be judged harshly, and DEFINITELY given a really good advantage, and a real consideration of a yellow card.

vCash
    * If a non-throwing team does not genuinely contest the lineout ball “the straightness of the throw is not considered.”
    who determines "genuinely"?
    what is the determination? lifting?

Senior Player
    vCash
    I really like this one.

- Defending half-back cannot enter area (“pocket”) between flanker and number 8 at scrum

It really annoys me when playing the game and when watching the game when the half back just interferes with play. I would rather they just get the ball out.

vCash
    I agree with Bob Dwyer on the penalties. Richie McCaw will love it. Mind you, all penalty decisions are essentially at the discretion of the on-field ref and as there will never be consistency between refs (or sometimes even in the decision-making of the same ref in the same game) maybe fewer points is better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I agree with Bob Dwyer on the penalties. Richie McCaw will love it. Mind you, all penalty decisions are essentially at the discretion of the on-field ref and as there will never be consistency between refs (or sometimes even in the decision-making of the same ref in the same game) maybe fewer points is better.
    I'm a little worried about it too although I guess we'll see how it plays out.

I like that teams can kick for touch for a penalty after the siren.

Veteran
    vCash
    And then they can throw crooked and not worry about it.

vCash
    Refs can get card happy if teams continuously infringe.

With Beige on kicking for touch after the siren though.

vCash
    Hmmm...like the idea of increasing conversion value. Not sure about penalties. Perhaps if they left penalties the same inside the twenty two? Or how about, if you infringe inside the twenty two the other team kicks off. I guess the main thrust is to limit the long range shots? I don't want to see more emphasis on using cards. Too many wrong'uns. IMO.
    Love the pesky scrummie change.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    geez being a halfback is going to be a breeze at scrumtime -no pressure at all

vCash
    I reckon they should consider going the other way with conversions, make a try 6 and conversion 1.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?