Thread: Coach Foley set for new Force deal

Champion
    vCash

Coach Foley set for new Force deal

Nick Taylor The West Australian
    July 31, 2014, 7:35 am

Western Force coach Michael Foley is keen to extend his tenure with the Super Rugby club beyond next season.

Fresh from guiding the club to its most successful year, Foley has opened negotiations about remaining in Perth past September 2015, when his existing deal expires.

"I'm definitely open (to staying). There's no doubt," Foley said.

"There's a real appeal to the challenge of coaching here.

"I'm still as enthusiastic and excited as I was on day one.

"There's been nothing signed.

"We've had some discussions, but there's some things we've got to work through.

"Any decision will be made well before the turn of the year."

Force chief executive Mark Sinderberry initiated talks with Foley, who said there were several factors that would drive his decision.

"It goes beyond just wanting to have an income or wanting to have tenure at an organisation," Foley said. "The thing that appealed to me when I came to the club was the genuine passion and enthusiasm of people.

"From day one I said that what I wanted to achieve for the people that backed me would take three years.

"I never came out and said it was a three-year plan, but now that we have got to this point I can see next year is going to be as challenging, if not more so, than this year.

"Hard times don't bother me. Certainly it is uncomfortable, but dealing with it becomes a real challenge and it actually makes you stronger.

"I've spent a lot of time really trying to find the right staff as much as the players and I'm very, very happy with our staff. It's a unique circumstance, although it shouldn't be, to feel that you've got such a good group of people that are all driven for the same reasons."

Meanwhile, the Force have re-signed second-rower Rory Walton for two more seasons.

Walton, who made eight appearances in 2013 but did not feature this year, said his priority was always to stay at the Force.

"This is where I got my first opportunity, I never wanted to leave," he said. "The thing that made re-signing so easy is that there's still so much room for improvement.

"I think we've only scratched the surface in terms of what this team can do.

"I know I can contribute when I get given my opportunity. When I get my time, I'll be ready to rock and roll. I got a lot out of the year, I'm six kilos heavier, I'm definitely a lot fitter."

Foley said Walton would provide a strong option in the second row.

"After tasting Super Rugby in 2013, his game time was limited this year, however, while he was obviously frustrated, his passion to improve and his commitment to the team were unwavering," he said.

Walton's re-signing comes after Nathan Charles, the club's most-capped hooker with 60 Super Rugby appearances, agreed to terms on a new two-year deal.

It is believed outside back Dane Haylett-Petty and prop Pek Cowan will also re-sign.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'm happy with this news, it will give Foles more time to develop the team. Also good news on the re-signing of Nathan and Rory, hopefully closely followed by confirmation of Pek and Dane re-signing.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good on Rory for re-signing, given his lack of game time. Shows that he can see a pathway back into the team with hard work.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!