Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: NRC Announcement 16 July 2014

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'll bold the ones who are definitely out, underline possible/probable Wallabies and italicise the ones who should be out.

2014 WESTERN FORCE – Senior Squad
    Robbie ABEL (EPS), Chris ALCOCK, Phoenix BATTYE, Marcel BRACHE, Luke BURTON (EPS), Nathan CHARLES, Adam COLEMAN (EPS), Angus COTTRELL (Injured), Pek COWAN, Nick CUMMINS, Patrick DELLIT (Heard he was going NSW Country), Sias EBERSOHN, Tetera FAULKNER, Kyle GODWIN (or injured), Dane HAYLETT-PETTY, Jayden HAYWARD, Chris HEIBERG, Matt HODGSON, Zack HOLMES, Kieran LONGBOTTOM, Ryan LOUWRENS (EPS) (Injured), Salesi MANU, Alby MATHEWSON (We should make room for locals e.g. Justin Turner), Ben McCALMAN, Hugh McMENIMAN, Luke MORAHAN, Ian PRIOR, Junior RASOLEA, Brynard STANDER, Wilhelm STEENKAMP (see Alby), Ed STUBBS (I imagine he's not going to be with Force in 2015), Heath TESSMAN, Chris TUATARA-MORRISON, Rory WALTON (EPS), Sam WYKES.

So how many does that leave us with? About 18. There are a couple (I count about 6) whose future with the Force is still uncertain. Maybe some who haven't announced they are leaving yet won't be included.

Otherwise, I reckon a guy like Robbie Abel should be loaned out to give Harry Scoble a go behind Heath Tessman (or vice-versa).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLE BOOG View Post
    just FYI from an enquiry I made to RugbyWA today:
    and the response from ARU merch folk:

Thanks for the email and interest in the NRC competition. ASICS have confirmed they won’t be supplying jerseys to the wider retail market and we are working with each club on options to get some retail products into the market place.

At this stage I don’t have a confirmation on what each team is doing however I can assure you I am working hard with each club to provide something for the fans at the match days and online.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I know we are not Liverpool or Man U, but I thought they need some $$ at ARU HQ

Better did out the one

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I already have a Perth Spirit jersey

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I'll bold the ones who are definitely out, underline possible/probable Wallabies and italicise the ones who should be out.

Robbie ABEL (EPS), Chris ALCOCK, Phoenix BATTYE, Marcel BRACHE, Luke BURTON (EPS), Nathan CHARLES, Adam COLEMAN (EPS), Angus COTTRELL (Injured), Pek COWAN, Nick CUMMINS, Patrick DELLIT (Heard he was going NSW Country), Sias EBERSOHN, Tetera FAULKNER, Kyle GODWIN (or injured), Dane HAYLETT-PETTY, Jayden HAYWARD, Chris HEIBERG, Matt HODGSON, Zack HOLMES, Kieran LONGBOTTOM, Ryan LOUWRENS (EPS) (Injured), Salesi MANU, Alby MATHEWSON (We should make room for locals e.g. Justin Turner), Ben McCALMAN, Hugh McMENIMAN, Luke MORAHAN, Ian PRIOR, Junior RASOLEA, Brynard STANDER, Wilhelm STEENKAMP (see Alby), Ed STUBBS (I imagine he's not going to be with Force in 2015), Heath TESSMAN, Chris TUATARA-MORRISON, Rory WALTON (EPS), Sam WYKES.

So how many does that leave us with? About 18. There are a couple (I count about 6) whose future with the Force is still uncertain. Maybe some who haven't announced they are leaving yet won't be included.

Otherwise, I reckon a guy like Robbie Abel should be loaned out to give Harry Scoble a go behind Heath Tessman (or vice-versa).
    I read somewhere that godwin will be making his return from injury during the NRC

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I absolutely can't cop law variations that are not IRB sanctioned...
    I'm not a fan of some of the changes proposed, but don't have much issue with non-sanctioned variations per se. They do it in the Vodacom Cup and similar all the time.

I'm surprised they are worried about visas for some of the overseas lads. I assume that is linked to their Force contract, which will remain in place. They are essentially being loaned out, so I can't see how it is different from someone coming to Perth for a job then being sent on an interstate assignment for a short period.

On the jerseys, I would be very disappointed if the ARU were micromanaging this comp to the extent of being responsible for merchandising. They should be allowing the clubs to do their own thing - it is an opportunity to encouraging new thinking, not stifling everyone into a "our way or the highway" approach. They bang on about how the comp has been set up not to cost them anything; if so, they shouldn't be trying to take money out of it when the clubs need revenue streams to grow. What is next, taking the money from the food concessions?

vCash
    As TIF said, a missed marketing opportunity!!!

vCash
    Re the team - I think both Mozza and Ed Stubbs are still injured?

vCash
    Fascinating discussion, but what I want to know is, will there be full strength beer at these suburban venues?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

Looks like Dillyn Leyds wont be playing NRC...
    Force transfers 2014–15
    Young talent to step in for Aplon

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Fascinating discussion, but what I want to know is, will there be full strength beer at these suburban venues?
    Brendon will have it at the bar at UWA for sure

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UnionThug View Post
    Looks like Dillyn Leyds wont be playing NRC...
    I assume that means he has been cut from the Force squad, or is no longer considered a development import?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    The NRC has announced their law variations for the new competition:
    - Instead of a four try bonus point, a bonus point will be awarded for finishing three tries or more ahead of their opponents
    - Time limits reduced for shots at goal
    - After a successful or unsuccessful penalty goal attempt, play is restarted with a scrum to the non-kicking team at the place of the penalty
    - Time limit for both teams to form a scrum
    - No option to kick for goal from a scrum penalty (kick to touch allowed). If penalty becomes a ‘repeated infringement’ then kick at goal is allowed
    - Scrum-half of non-feeding team is compulsory, must stay within 1m of the scrum, and cannot move past the mid-line of the scrum
    - If a yellow card is given for repeated team infringement (excluding dangerous play), the non-offending captain chooses the opposition player who is temporarily suspended for 10 mins
    - Players arriving through the gate may ‘drive out’ opponents past the ruck, creating more space behind the ruck for attack
    - If non-throwing team does not contest for the ball, the straightness of the throw is not considered
    - A ‘mark’ can be awarded any place on the field
    (you've got to be f-ing kidding me)
    - After half-time and full-time, if awarded a Penalty Kick, you can kick to touch and play the lineout
    - Free Kick for kick-off infringements as per Sevens
    I like:
    Bonus point suggestion.
    Time limits for shot at goal and scrum formation. (Be great if they did it for line out formation as well)
    Driving out past the ruck. Happens now anyway, really.
    Not straight for non-contested lineout. As long as they throwing team doesn’t take the pss.
    Line out after a PK at half or full time

I don’t really like:
    Scrum half not able to follow the ball at the scrum.
    Yellow card opposing captain choosing the player – although it could be rather fun!

I really hate:
    Mark any where on the field

vCash
    Shame about DL going back to SA. Wish we could get some news out of RWA about all these moves rather than hearing it through the media though :-(

vCash
    Th odd one on DL is the article was written in March so its not like its a new development or anything...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast