Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: Force Brumbies Game day

vCash
    My two cents:

2-3 years ago Wykes put together a good run of games at lock/6 when we had some horrendous injury problems but then got injured himself. This year he's got himself back to that level and maybe even surpassed it. I don't think he'll ever get a Wallaby gig, and suffers much like KBomb in being a touch too small for an ideal player in their position, but more than makes up for it in application.

Pek, Darwin and KBomb are an awesome front row; not surprised that KBomb is heading off if he can't get the call up for the Wallaby long-squad after this season. I'm not sure Ollie is ready for Super Rugby yet, or if one of Pek and Faulkner can switch sides for next year.

I'm not quite sure what to make of Steenkamp; certainly our line-out looked very good earlier this season with him in the team, but he didn't seem to do much round the park (I don't know the stats - maybe I didn't see much of him because he was at every ruck). Coleman has potential but is still young.

The back row have been simply amazing, especially considering we lost Alcock and MMM for most of the season. The back row quartet of Cottrell, Hodgo, Benny Mac and Rhino rivals Hodgo, Pocock, Brownie and Benny Mac in their prime, and getting Alcock back next year (I hope) will only improve things. I won't miss Madness - good player but replaceable.

Alby had an up and down season. At his best he's among the top 9s in the comp, but had off games where he was slow to the breakdown, slow to pass and/or kicked stupid box kicks (which may have been a planned tactic, but wasn't one which worked often enough). Prior looked OK but I'm not sure is the 9 to take us to the next level (yet, anyway).

Sias was also Jekyll and Hyde. His place-kicking has improved massively (the Cheetahs fans bemoaned he couldn't hit a barn door when he was with them!) and some of decision making has been great, but again he kicks too often and too inaccurately (ie, straight to players rather than to space). He's improved in two seasons, but has he improved enough to warrant keeping him, or should we put faith in Holmes? Might be a tough one for Foley to decide on.

Losing Godwin to injury was tough; he didn't make the breaks this year that he did last, but was a fantastic defender covering the 10-12 channel and seemed to have a good understanding with Junior. Junior's improved a lot from last season and provides us with a bigger 13 which seems to be the way Australian teams are heading these days. CTM covers both spots and possibly the wings, too. Ledys looked good in the limited time I saw him play.

Losing Morahan was more of a blow than I think people realise; he nailed one wing spot and was possibly outplaying the Badger. DHP can nail down the full-back spot if Jayden is leaving, and Brache might get the other wing, or we recruit a full-back and let DHP play the other wing. I think we can cover losing Badger and Jayden, but it'll hurt our depth at the one time when our backine has actually looked like having some.

As to the tactics - I think we have to think less conservatively. Too often when the ref has put the opposition on a warning we've taken the 3 points on offer; kick for the corner (or a quick tap) and stay on the offensive. Only getting 3 try bonus points hurt us this year - the Highlanders made the finals with 8 wins but we lost out with 9 by not going for the jugular.

Also - stop kicking! We look a far more effective team when running the ball.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I've just been told Walton might be off, unfortunately.
    Nah, signed a 2 year contract last month

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    CTM will be 28 soon. Been around in the NRL without really firing, the Shite Shield where he goes good and two seasons here. How much time do you get to develop? He's injury cover at best. Inconsistent but worth keeping - long as the salary is not much. If he's smart he'll be off to Europe or Japan. We need real midfield strike power.
    The difference between 2013 and 2014 was a ruthless cull of talentless bogans and non committed cancers. The 2014 version played as a committed group. It is necessary however to cull some more. No point having useless people as cover. We need good players replacing good players. When we lost some backs with ability, the wheels fell off. Backs that are slow, can't catch, can't kick and can't tackle, shouldn't be playing professional rugby. Time for another night of the long knives. Lets stab some backs in the rotunda

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Controversy corner

vCash
    Wish we could get David Smith back from France! Sadly, I don't think we could afford even his boots :-((

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Wish we could get David Smith back from France!
    That and he'd be an international marquee player, of which we have our full (expanded) quota in Alby and Steenkamp...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UnionThug View Post
    That and he'd be an international marquee player, of which we have our full (expanded) quota in Alby and Steenkamp...
    I'd forgotten about that.....I reckon Smithy would be a better spend than big willy. Just my opinion though, it would also require
    A Sammy to become completely consistent and reliable (sharpie-esque)
    B Coleman to grow into his sizable frame and start playing better
    C one of the fringe players to step up and become a worthy bench sitter

Or

C buy an Ozzie eligible lock of the same or better quality, the only option that's even close to my radar is Luke Jones and I don't think the rebels will release him any time soon. The Tahs boys will be very comfortable where they are and there's a gaping black hole at the reds. Maybe Fards will get sick of being the third lock in line at the Brums and come back where you can turn up to training in shorts at least some of the year.

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Losing Morahan was more of a blow than I think people realise; he nailed one wing spot and was possibly outplaying the Badger. DHP can nail down the full-back spot if Jayden is leaving, and Brache might get the other wing, or we recruit a full-back and let DHP play the other wing. I think we can cover losing Badger and Jayden, but it'll hurt our depth at the one time when our backine has actually looked like having some.
    Losing the Badger and Hayward will hurt. Morahan and DHP can be good, but they aren't there yet and thats the problem. As it currently stands we will be shuffling the backline to cover off the positions but the result won't be anything that would put the fear of god into you coming up against them. Morahan and DHP can be very good contributors in 2015 as they continue to develop but they need a very good player in that backline with speed and power to generate some intimidation and free them up otherwise they may suffer from the burden of having to be the No1 guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UnionThug View Post
    True :-(

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13