Thread: Nathan Charles wants to be judged on quality of performance...

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Nathan Charles wants to be judged on quality of performance...

Nathan Charles wants to be judged on quality of performance, says he shouldn’t be sympathy case

Jim Tucker
    News Limited
    June 11, 2014 8:00PM

NATHAN Charles hates The Voice because he wants to win all his votes with his performance as a first-time Wallabies hooker, not because of a sob story suited to the hit TV show.

The new Test reserve refuses to let his lifelong fight with cystic fibrosis define him when his lineout throws, scrummaging and workrate should speak for him like any other hooker against France in Melbourne on Saturday night.

Cystic fibrosis sufferer Chris Davies was a century-making South Australian batsman from the late 1990s but Charles, 25, is the only Australian with the genetic disease to be playing a contact sport professionally.

It is inspiring when you realise he self-manages his health with 28 pills and vitamins a day and his website reveals the stark fact that only 50 per cent of sufferers live to their late 30s.

“I don't watch The Voice. The common theme I go back to is every singer has a sympathy sob story and that just makes my blood boil,’’ the Western Force hooker said.

“I really hate that. The thing I want to be judged on is my performance on the weekend rather than the disease I carry.

“I don't want to be a sympathy case. I want to look back and know I’ve done this all on my own accord.’’

It has taken time to be so up front about a disease that causes excessively thick mucus within the lungs, airways and the digestive system and can turn a simple cold into a major chest infection.

The former schoolboy ace from Sydney’s Knox Grammar did not initially tell ACT Brumbies coach Andy Friend of his condition when he was an academy player in 2009 or Force coach John Mitchell when he ignited his career in Perth in 2010.

INSPIRING STORY OF NATHAN CHARLES

His new Wallabies teammates Adam Ashley-Cooper, Matt Toomua, Pat McCabe and injured Stephen Moore were at the Brumbies in 2009 when Charles made that emotional breakthrough.

“I can still remember when I first spoke openly to the Brumbies boys. I got to the first line and started crying because I couldn’t talk about it,” said Charles, who had kept things confidential with doctors and close friends.

Force coach Michael Foley has the same goatee as Voice judge Joel Madden but the former Test hooker is the mentor who Charles listens to most.

“Foles has been massive knowing the position and the pressures,’’ Charles said. “He’s quite a harsh critic which has been fantastic because week in, week out he’s told me he’s judging me on a Test hooker not a Super Rugby hooker,’’ Charles said.

Lifting his physicality has been the big gain in Charles’ game while he is now an ambassador for Cystic Fibrosis Australia.

“It has taken a while to get used to that (talking about the condition) and there are mixed emotions,” Charles said.

“It is very humbling that it does inspire people to achieve more but being ‘that’ person is how everyone else considers me, not me.’’

CYSTIC FIBROSIS: There is not yet a cure. For more information visit nathancharles.com.au and cysticfibrosis.org.au

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    There was a piece on the Today Show about him this morning. Can't find a link online yet so can't post it.

Finally the rest of Aus is seeing what we've known for ages - he is a great player!! He's been better than Saia F for quite a while if you ask me!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    “Foles has been massive knowing the position and the pressures,’’ Charles said. “He’s quite a harsh critic which has been fantastic because week in, week out he’s told me he’s judging me on a Test hooker not a Super Rugby hooker,’’ Charles said.
    boom!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    That is why this young man has my total and unequivocal admiration for the way he conducts himself. Here is a role model for anyone with a dibillitating disease like CF as to what can be achieved.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    It just goes to show that a young man with a dodgy nickname can overcome any obstacle with hard work and dedication.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by .X.; 12-06-14 at 20:17.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf1 View Post
    That is why this young man has my total and unequivocal admiration for the way he conducts himself. Here is a role model for anyone with a dibillitating disease like CF as to what can be achieved.
    Or without

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    He's been better than Saia F for quite a while if you ask me!
    you're not setting the bar very high Alison. I think he'll play himself into the starting jersey by the end of the season. With no Moore standing in his way, he will show TPN up just like he did when they played in Perth.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the