Thread: IRB won't help Wallabies keep Folau

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

IRB won't help Wallabies keep Folau

AAP
    Ben Horne
    June 11, 2014, 7:16 pm

The ARU won't receive any help from the International Rugby Board (IRB) in its battle to keep superstars like Israel Folau from defecting to cashed-up French clubs.

IRB chief executive Brett Gosper sympathises with the plight of the Australian Rugby Union, which is fighting a war on all fronts.

Domestically, the ARU finds itself with backs to the wall in an ultra-competitive sporting market and, at the same time, dealing with the ever-present threat posed by European poachers.

Folau is reportedly being targeted by French side Toulon to become the highest-paid player in world rugby and defect before next year's World Cup.

If the Wallabies' best and most marketable athlete was to leave, it would serve as another major body blow to the financially strapped ARU, and would force it to rethink its stance which prevents overseas-based players representing Australia in Test matches.

Gosper says the IRB is conscious of the potential for an imbalance to be caused in world rugby, where clubland begins to dictate the international game, like in European soccer or cricket's IPL.

However, he doesn't believe the threat has reached "Armageddon" proportions and says it's the ARU's job to convince Folau and other targets like Will Genia to stay.

"Folau is one of the world's top rugby properties so he's going to be vulnerable to the big offer," Gosper said on Wednesday.

"The ARU should be persuading him that this is the place where he has his celebrity, where he's a local hero, where he can cash in on his celebrity and play rugby to his potential and look at the total picture - not just his pay packet.

"But, at the end of the day, it's totally up to him.

"The IRB is not in a position to say, 'you're going to lose a marquee player - here's a cheque'.

"That's just not how the IRB operates."

Gosper insisted "clubs are not the enemy of rugby", however he said if international unions wanted to discuss a new compensation system to deal with new market forces, then the IRB would be open to discussions.

At the moment, member nations are compensated at World Cup time and given a piece of the IRB's cut.

Gosper said he hoped the lure of playing in an Olympic Games would help the ARU hold onto Folau.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...es-keep-folau/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quite right too. It's not the IRB's problem!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Yeah, it's like publishing a story about how Bill Gates won't give me a million dollars.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Yeah, it's like publishing a story about how Bill Gates won't give me a million dollars.
    Probably based on the same wobbly premise too. He's not been asked to give you a million dollars.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Exactly!

vCash
    I had same thought as Shasta, has the ARU actually asked the IRB to intervene? Probably not. Australian Rugby has known for years that they can't compete with cashed up clubs in the NH.

vCash
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Bring in transfer fees. If the clubs from the north want to buy an australian player make sure that they have to pay compensation to the ARU for having spent money in developing that player in Australia.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Bring in transfer fees. If the clubs from the north want to buy an australian player make sure that they have to pay compensation to the ARU for having spent money in developing that player in Australia.
    100% agree

vCash
    Can't see it working as players are free to negotiate with whoever they choose when they are off contract.

Transfer fees only apply in Soccer when a player in on contract.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Can't see it working as players are free to negotiate with whoever they choose when they are off contract.

Transfer fees only apply in Soccer when a player in on contract.
    So link transfer fees to a Wallaby contract (which opens the door to non-SupeRugby players playing for the Wallabies.

The ARU can then put conditions on ratifying his contract, conditions such as transfer fees.

If the Transfer fee concept was instituted by the IRB we would never be able to afford to get anybody back from Europe, so it'd be a two edged sword.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    So link transfer fees to a Wallaby contract (which opens the door to non-SupeRugby players playing for the Wallabies.

The ARU can then put conditions on ratifying his contract, conditions such as transfer fees.
    I fail to see how they can implement a transfer fee on a player who's contract has expired as the transfer fee specified in the contract would go out the window when the contract expires.

I would imagine that would be a some form of restraint of trade if they tried.

vCash
    That's my point Jargs, they need to renew his contract with the ARU to have any impact, that would be purposeless unless the player can line up for the Wallabies.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    revoke their Australian citizenship!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Don't say that. Aussie sides would have to start paying kiwis/saffas big coin...

coz Stone Cold says so