Thread: Michael Foley says a meeting with skipper Matt Hodgson was turning point at the Force

vCash

Thumbs up Michael Foley says a meeting with skipper Matt Hodgson was turning point at the Force

A good article with some insights into the relationship between Michael Foley & Matt Hodgson and the turn-around this year.

• Dale Granger
    • The Courier-Mail
    • June 07, 2014

WESTERN Force coach Michael Foley has lifted the covers on the meeting with captain Matt Hodgson that helped transform the Perth club from Super Rugby whipping boys to blue-chip playoff contenders.
    For the first time in club history, on the back of a record eight wins this season, the Force control their own finals destiny.

In his second year of coaching in Perth, Foley has brought a club without superstars to the brink of their greatest triumph.

But he traces it all back to a discussion with Hodgson 18 months ago.

“The central theme of that conversation was very much about earning respect, about the likes of Sam Wykes and Pek Cowan, and in slightly more recent times Nick Cummins and Ben McCalman - players who had worked very hard at the club and not been able to achieve that,” Foley said.

“It starts with the captain, then another group of players and once you have something that you all believe in, both coaches and senior players defining the standards, everyone else wants to be a part of that.

“I don’t think there is a person alive who does not want to be respected.

“Initially earning the respect of each other was very important and, separately, earning the respect of our people. That included the respect of people in the office and our families, and also our supporters and the opposition.”

Foley was able to draw on his experience as a Queensland player under John Connolly, as well as tough times as forward coach with Bath in the UK, where England internationals Steve Borthwick and Danny Grewcock became central characters in a similar theme.

Harnessing the collective might of strong-minded individuals was the key to transforming the Force, but the coaches also had to equip players not used to winning with decision-making powers in the field of combat.

“As much as we are coach-led, we are player-driven and that has led to a lot of success in key moments on the field, as you can’t possibly prepare for everything that is going to happen,” Foley said.

“Rugby is so fluid that the player on the field needs to feel that he is able to make decisions and is empowered to do so. Part of the inclusive process is letting players know they should be confident to make decisions and that we are backing them to do so. “

Defining moments that reflected and rewarded this attitude included rookie prop Ollie Hoskins coming on as a substitute against the Chiefs and anchoring the scrum on the tryline, helping the Force to a stunning upset against the two-time reigning champions.

“The extra bit the players have been able to find in themselves at different times to try and earn the respect of their mates, that is the thing that I’m most pleased about,” said Foley.

“I’ve always believed that results will come on the back of those things but I don’t necessarily reflect on the number of wins as much as I do the special moments. Anybody who goes out and plays Super Rugby these days has to be physically committed, but to be more deeply emotionally committed to your team is what makes me proud.”

Foley said another key moment epitomising the Force’s fiery resolve was Kieran Longbottom hauling himself out of an exhausting scrum in the 80th minute against the Highlanders and tearing across field to tackle try-scoring wing Hayden Parker.

The flyhalf was forced to dot down two metres wider and then missed his touchline conversion, securing a two-point bonus point win for the 13-man Force.

“We will remain humble and whenever we are humble we will remain in the right frame of mind to keep competing the way we have,” said Foley.

Foley said the players smile when the club is referred to as a team without superstars.

“We smile and like to interpret that as meaning no egos. I would say often superstars are equated with skill and physical abilities to catch, run pass and kick. But I think a lot of our guys are very talented in terms of decision-making and mental strength.

“We have a very determined, persistent group who went through a very difficult season last year and were not getting results. It’s too easy too often to walk away when things don’t fall for you, but this group of players stuck together kept working and believed in each other and what they stood for and now they are starting to just get some rewards.”

Foley said this was reflected in the team dressing room post the club’s away victory to the Reds where wing Cummins was disappointed and tough on himself for his own performance, but bounced back with a hat-trick of tries against the Waratahs a week later.

“Sometimes the wins and the losses are incredibly important in terms of building momentum, not just now but into the future as a club. But it’s those little personal efforts that characterize this group and make it so much more worthwhile to be a part of,” said Foley.

In the future Foley says keeping the group together will be the biggest challenge as agents and rival coaches come knocking too woo successful players.

“We’ve undergone significant change and brought the right guys together. Hopefully now changes will be minimal and we’ve got to ensure that is the case,” said Foley.

Foley believes that the Force can press on from this season’s success and mount a challenge to lift the trophy.

“It’s one thing to be able to concentrate over 80 minutes over a weekend, but to be able to concentrate over twelve weeks and a month and eliminate the things that will distract you from being as good as you can be is the real challenge."

“As long as we understand the reason we work so hard at doing that - because we do really want to earn the respect of each other - then I would never discount this group of guys and what they are capable of.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1226946774516

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 08-06-14 at 08:21.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I find it amazing that Michael Foley along with Matt Hodgson and the Senior Standards Group were able to turn around and change the attitude of the Club within a year. Something that John Mitchell could not do in 5 years.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Getting everyone to "buy in" was the key difference.
    Fire and brimstone (JM) is all well and good. But you an only use the "if you don't like it piss off" line so many times before people do leave. I mean look at the game against the ponies in May 08 (the 16th actually) where he stormed out of the rooms at halftime and the team pantsed them in the second half.

Foley seems to have that mentality now and he has managed to get the organisation on board with him for the long haul by the sounds of it.

What I want to know is when are we going to give him a 5 year contract extension?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Yes JM had some people skills Issue but I believe it was a joint effort that was the demise of him.. As everyone has said the Gito Gate n( untochables ) affair was that he had to many show ponies in the team on to much money all brought in by Vern Reid to have instant success...JM was not into show ponies..( look at the Lions in SA no big names but JM got them to be respected..
    Look back and see who had the talent to scout Pek. Hodgo Cummins Ben Mac and few others that are now the foundation of this team.. JM had an Eye for talent and over his coaching yrs he has given some unnamed players a start and got alot of them to beleive they can do it.. JM just needed help with people skills ( very Military like ways )..

It also shows who ran the Warratahs as I was a real critic of Foley when he was there but now understand that ARU and NSWRU are the coaches there and he was the voice to give their directions...

If you let the Coach coach and get the politics out of the dressing rooms you get what we have a Family and I beleive the Western Force are in the top of the league with this...

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Hear hear Tonkar! Absolutely agree.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Vern was not so good as CEO but can't be blamed for those recruitments. IIRC they were during the time of the first CEO and the Firepower f@ck up.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Does anybody even remember the first CEOs name without Google.

(Peter O'Meara is my guess)

C'mon the

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    yep,& TG ran into him in Darwin recently

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yup, watched the Crusaders game with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by
    • Dale Granger
    • The Courier-Mail
    • June 07, 2014
    “Rugby is so fluid that the player on the field needs to feel that he is able to make decisions and is empowered to do so. Part of the inclusive process is letting players know they should be confident to make decisions and that we are backing them to do so.“
    Something in that may reveal the difference between a good side and a bad side. I'm thinking of the difference between MacQueen's Wallabies and Jones/Deans' teams; but more recently (and more obviously) the way the Queensland Reds are doing now, especially that second half performance against the Crusaders.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Peter O'Meara and in my humble opinion was very good for the club.

He was brought in and had to start from nothing - wasn't given any dispensation from the ARU and put together a team the best way he could. He rocked the boat and broke some rules but never once could you question that he wasn't giving 100% for the club.

He recognized the Club needed culture and acknowledged groups like The EnFORCErs very early on in the peace. He also sat down and had a conversation with me at Bathurst one drunk afternoon and encouraged me to start up a Eastern States supporters group. And was happy to take my emails and phone calls when I needed assistance.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Peter O'Meara and in my humble opinion was very good for the club.

He was brought in and had to start from nothing - wasn't given any dispensation from the ARU and put together a team the best way he could. He rocked the boat and broke some rules but never once could you question that he wasn't giving 100% for the club
    actually the "rules" he broke weren't rules when he broke them, they were "understandings" or "agreements" but nothing was codified. The fact that the ES powerhouses continue to flaunt contracting rules shows the real reason why the club was sanctioned.

C'mon the