Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alby in line for early comeback

Champion
    vCash

Alby in line for early comeback

Here's Hoping Love this story

Nick Taylor The West Australian
    May 24, 2014, 10:52 am

Newly re-signed Western Force marquee international, scrum-half Alby Mathewson, could make an early comeback from injury against the Crusaders next Friday.

The former All Black, who signed a two-season extension yesterday, has been sidelined for six weeks after damaging his right ankle in last month's win over the Waratahs.

Mathewson came close to season-ending surgery after tearing all but one of the ligaments.

"It was quite a serious injury, but that one ligament probably saved me from surgery," he said.

"Travelling away cuts down time, but if I go well there's no reason why I couldn't be available for the Crusaders."

His return could hinge on tonight's result against the Lions at nib Stadium.

The Force have seven wins with five games left and it is generally accepted that 10 victories are required for a finals appearance.

If the Force win tonight, the pressure to beat the Crusaders eases as they have two more home games, against the Blues and Reds, after next month's break for the Wallabies Test series.

Their last game is against the Brumbies in Canberra.

Mathewson has been at the Force for two seasons and under Australian Rugby Union's marquee signing rules would normally have been forced to leave this year.

But the club received dispensation after successfully arguing a precedent had been set when Wales No.8 Gareth Delve was given a contract extension at the Melbourne Rebels.

Mathewson turned down an offer to play in Wales. Interest also came from Japan.

His signing is a huge boost for the Force, who did not receive ARU financial assistance towards his contract.

"I was always holding out hope that it would work out this way," Mathewson said. "Even if we had lost every game I still wanted to stay here. Results wouldn't have really mattered.

"I love everything about this club. What we are building here is pretty special. To be able to stay for two years and help keep building that is pretty important to me.

"I'm playing some of my best, if not the best, rugby. This has been the most enjoyable time I have had in my career."

Force coach Michael Foley said Mathewson's signing was a great boost to the club.

"He's at the heart of what we do. Alby is somebody that we value a lot," Foley said.

Foley is expecting a physical, set-piece dominated affair against the Lions and has brought Wilhelm Steenkamp into the starting side.

"The scrum will be a massive thing. The rolling maul is something that they try to win penalties off and take points or kick downfield and have another maul," Foley said.

"We have to nail those sorts of things and make sure we don't give them any easy yards.

"We feel that Wilhelm is probably suited to this game.

"They are coming here to get a victory."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    His signing is a huge boost for the Force, who did not receive ARU financial assistance towards his contract.

"I was always holding out hope that it would work out this way," Mathewson said. "Even if we had lost every game I still wanted to stay here. Results wouldn't have really mattered.

"I love everything about this club. What we are building here is pretty special. To be able to stay for two years and help keep building that is pretty important to me.

"I'm playing some of my best, if not the best, rugby. This has been the most enjoyable time I have had in my career."
    Western Force legend in the making

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    one position we seem to have done really well in, is Half-back
    Arguably with the exception of Henjak (he was handy regardless of his off-field antics)
    Alby is getting close to being one of our favorite sons i think, though hard yet to stand him level with the contributions of Sheehan and Stanners

vCash
    Fantastic news. But the boys really need to pull off an Important win today. Preferably with a BP. Much prefer not to risk Alby if those torn ligaments have not completely healed.

His thoughts on the club are extremely heartening. He is one of those truly gritty players who compete 100% on every play. We are lucky to have him.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Am already nervous about line outs and the rolling maul. They'll also have to watch for those unexpected tricks at line out time like the Bulls did last year! Would love to see some aggressive attack from the boys weather permitting.

vCash
    We did okay Valzc!

vCash
    I'm stoked the way the reserves have stepped up. Although I don't think we've reached the level of intensity & fluency we had during the 5 game run, everyone has stepped in & kept the bandwagon rolling & in the process provided the likes of CTM, Burto, DHP, Prior etc some invaluble experience.

It would be great to get back to full strength for the run in after the test window. Fingers crossed our Wallaby reps stay fit & injury free.

This squad had depth that I imagine will only improve during the off season with some new faces.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    I would to prefer to give him more time and leave him in perth for the crusaders game.....would be terrible to see him do further damage in the crusaders game in what doesnt look like a winnable game. Id rather save alby for the blues and reds game. Prior has done a good job so far.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I agree HD. Especially given the travel involved.

vCash
    /agree
    Saders will be a tough ask, especially with the travel load - I would also rest Alby, we need to beat the Reds and Blues to have any chance of a maiden finals appearance

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The travel factor is also an argument why he should play. He hasn't done all the travelling the rest of the guys have.
    Maybe some of them need a week at home

vCash
    Floes confirmed in the presser that Madness will also be back for the last three games, after the break for tests. Will be interesting to see how hungry he is and where we will fit him in.

vCash
    Whoa! I thought he was done for the year. That's an unexpected surprise. How about Alcock? Is he done for the year? I would love to see Hodgo get a bit of a respite occasionally (although, the way he's going, I don't suppose you want him off the field for a minute!).

vCash
    That's good news Mac. Madness will be a massive bonus if we are going to go any further. I agree with you about Alby.
    But the one thing we have all learnt this year is that Foles is a pretty astute coach and seems to know what he's doing with the lads, so I'll go along with what he decides.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Alby would be a huge inclusion against the Crusaders and it seems like we're getting some troops back at the right end of the season.

Bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Am already nervous about line outs and the rolling maul.
    I thought the line out was heaps improved last night and we got some good rolling mauls going as well

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast