Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Force must lift to make finals, warns Foley

Champion
    vCash

Force must lift to make finals, warns Foley

Nick Taylor The West Australian
    May 19, 2014, 8:00 am

Western Force coach Michael Foley believes the 24-8 loss to the Stormers is evidence his side has a long way to go before being considered genuine Super Rugby finals contenders.

Foley was also disappointed with his side's attitude in the Newlands defeat that knocked them out of a top-six spot.

However, while their finals aspirations took a hit, the Force are far from sunk. They remain just one point out of a qualifying position heading into Saturday night's match with the Lions at nib Stadium.

Foley has repeatedly played down speculation of a maiden finals appearance and was at it again yesterday.

"I've been very clear that we have got a lot to do if we want to be seriously considered as finalists," Foley said.

"Based on that game that is obviously the case. Our attitude has been a point of difference in other weeks, but we were out- enthused. Our attitude going into the game was off.

"Some of the defence we did early was excellent, but it's how we put ourselves in that position that is the issue.

"Early on we did a lot of defence, but we did not get off the line and we were not as aggressive as we have been in that area.

"If you are not in the right frame of mind it is very hard to get yourself back into the contest.

"If you are a little bit off you get punished for that mindset."

Foley is adamant the attitude problem can be fixed.

"There's nothing outside of our control that cost us that game," he said.

"The winning of that game was within our control."

What the game did prove was that even with their uncompromising defence, the Force cannot live on scraps alone.

In the past they have eked out results on limited territory and possession, but at one point they were clinging on with just 12 per cent of possession, 6 per cent territory and were forced to make 76 tackles in the first 40 minutes.

Under that sort of pressure, in a forward-dominated game of attrition, starvation becomes a slow and painful death.

The visitors were unable to get any momentum as they repelled wave after wave of Stormers attacks and it was almost inevitable they would crack.

They had another bad day at the line-out, their line speed was not at its best, and their kicking game was not effective.

There was little potency to the attack, blunted by a determined Stormers hungry to get off the bottom of the ladder.

·Wallabies fly-half Quade Cooper has been ruled out of Australia's season-opening Test against France next month after injuring a shoulder in the Reds' 30-27 loss to the Rebels on Saturday night.

·Scrum-half Bernard Foley starred as the NSW Waratahs recorded a 41-13 bonus-point victory over the Lions at Allianz Stadium yesterday.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...s-warns-foley/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 19-05-14 at 09:29. Reason: link

vCash
    I blame some of the loss on the darned strip.. they didn't know who was who..and ref didn't either some of the time.. ??

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Bernard now a scrum half?

The rest is all true!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Foles has hit the nail on the head about the attitude in that game. Did the Some of the guys get too cocky after Cheerahs win or perhaps too much muckin around in Cape Town hospitality. I'm getting really worried about line outs tho - as much as they've worked on it doesn't seem to be improving too well. Maybe devoting a 10 hour day of nothing but line out practise for this week. Although it's hard to compete for the ball without interfering with the other teams jumper however refs seem to be really picking on this lately.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    yeah, lineout has been toilet of late.

Which is a big issue, and it isn't all Cheese's fault, there have been quite a few fumbles at the top of the line as well.

vCash
    Bring Steenkamp back into the XV in place of Coleman? Lineout seems to have gone off the boil since he's been out?

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Bring Steenkamp back into the XV in place of Coleman? Lineout seems to have gone off the boil since he's been out?
    Agreed - Whilst Coleman is a rising talent, I fear that he is having a tough time starting and maybe the pressure is getting to him. Steenkamp has the toughness to weather the starting spot and the smarts to work and call lineouts as required. Something has to give. The Lions set piece, including the lineout was excellent so any complacency could be our downfall, however I am sure that the lads will be up for this game and run out bonus point winners - all in this week on the TAB

Senior Player
    vCash
    Foley is right. It was so hard to get any possession or momentum in that game, and the late charge by McCalman and then the poor throw into the lineout in the opening quarter just gifted possession back to them. It was from one of those that their first try was scored.

Our execution has been far more clinical in recent rounds, and our discipline better.

There does not seem to be any lateral movement in our lineout, so if the opposition wishes to challenge, they just have to align themselves alongside one of our locks, and get the timing of their lift right. Time for some variation - perhaps Sharpie as a consultant.

Our scrum will also be under the pump this weekend given the power the lions showed against the Tahds. We need to be up for this one - it is a game that we can't afford to lose in the run home.

vCash
    Any news on our injuries for the game this weekend - Mathewson ? Godwin ?

vCash
    To be honest , I think the Stormers would of beaten anyone on Sat night. They were very much up for that game with Grant playing his 100th. They were good. Us on the other hand, while outstanding again in defence, really
    Lacked firepower and penetration in attack. We missed our normal back line of Alby, Mozza, Sias,Kyle, Marcel, Badger.
    Next season I would like to see a line bending outside centre added to the team. Also be good to see Junior back on the paddock.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying 14 View Post
    To be honest , I think the Stormers would of beaten anyone on Sat night. They were very much up for that game with Grant playing his 100th. They were good. Us on the other hand, while outstanding again in defence, really
    Lacked firepower and penetration in attack. We missed our normal back line of Alby, Mozza, Sias,Kyle, Marcel, Badger.
    Next season I would like to see a line bending outside centre added to the team. Also be good to see Junior back on the paddock.
    I agree - have been hoping for some of that attack flair we saw with the Rebels game, but they seemed to have pulled back. I can understand that they're not ready as such for more attacking style plays ie the Cheetahs game was but a taste, but you get the feel they're on the cusp of letting rip and then- ......... it doesn't quite eventuate. Bending the line more has GOT to happen against the Lions. And the line outs.......!

vCash
    I don't really see how we can be wondering about our attack play. It's been based on defense and counter attack all year. The Stormers D is good and they've found some form lately.
    Don't know when/if we can get them all back but add Alby, Kyle, Junior, Mozza and things will be on the up. I actually think the tour was an ok result all things taken into account. Three wins and everything will be right.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Junior only out of a cast today, he'll be a while yet

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    agree alison, steenkamp should be there. Since he has been benched I'm sure our line out stats have dropped hugely. I think energy and ball carry from Brynard Stander merits him having a start.

vCash
    I agree. Brynard Stander deserves a starting place this weekend against the Lions.
    We need to redeploy Steenkamp to the starting 15, also.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast