Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Western Force no-names the bolters for Wallabies

vCash

Western Force no-names the bolters for Wallabies

From the SMH of all places

Matt Hodgson should be leading a merry quintet of Western Force players into the Wallabies' first squad of the season when it is announced next week.

Hodgson, Ben McCalman, Nick Cummins, Nathan Charles and Angus Cottrell or Kyle Godwin, depending on how Ewen McKenzie splits the forwards and backs, are all well deserving of selection. There may be more than five, if McKenzie is feeling adventurous, but there should not be less, if there is justice in the world.

Last week's win over the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein should be enough to change the conversation about the Force's achievements this year. It was built on more than just a refusal to yield. There was quality there, in the handling, the execution, the accuracy. From the moment Dane Haylett-Petty flicked the ball inside to allow the clearing kick to be made, it was clear that there is confidence flowing through this side. The shame for Australian audiences is that, because of time differences, the grim win over the Bulls in Perth is probably fresher in the mind. Similarly, the Brumbies will get a chance to answer their (justified) critics this weekend against the free-flowing Cheetahs in South Africa.

If Hodgson is not the Australian Super Rugby player of the year, then he can take some consolation in losing out to someone of Michael Hooper's class. Doubts about Hodgson's size curtailed his opportunities under Robbie Deans, but he looks like a stronger player over the ball these days, certainly no less effective than Liam Gill, whose place must be under threat after a disrupted season. Hodgson leads the entire competition for turnovers won and what ball he hasn't stolen he has slowed down.

Hooker Charles looks like the best solution to a problem that isn't immediately apparent, but is only one injury away from being so. Behind Stephen Moore and Tatafu Polota-Nau, the cupboard is not exactly bursting. Polota-Nau is injury prone and Moore has barely been sidelined in two years of heavy attrition. I'm not sure which of those facts should be making McKenzie more nervous. Regardless, the third hooking spot has been so problematic that even Albert Anae was called into the squad last year. A better run with injuries for Charles this year has allowed him to build on the potential he showed in his earlier years.

Wags might say that a particular attribute McCalman has shown this year – cleaning up terrible ball at the base of the scrum – makes him the perfect choice of Wallabies No.8, but it is the power he has added to his game that has been most noticeable.

In round five against the Highlanders in Dunedin, he rumbled straight through Liam Coltman, one of the All Blacks' hopes at No.2. My only qualm with McCalman relates to acceleration, or lack of it, but of course the eyes can deceive. Until Sunday, Crusaders No.8 Luke Whitelock looked like a smart, strong player from solid stock. But after leaving Reds Will Genia and and JJ Taulagi choking on his fumes with one burst he suddenly looks like something different altogether.

Huge young Force second-rower Adam Coleman is being mentioned in the Wallabies-bolter category. I'm not sure he has done enough to force his way in just yet. Rebel Cadeyrn Neville was another who went through the cursed process of being anointed too early, and is just coming out the other side.

There'll be a lot of continuity in McKenzie's squad, and it is something the playing group understands as important. But there has to be rewards for the high performers, too. It is a crucial tool for keeping the incumbents on edge and the candidates keen and, as is important these days, in Australia. As the old saying goes, you use it or you lose it.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...#ixzz31q076GhO

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    WTF the SMH? OMG!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    WTF the SMH? OMG!
    LOLWTFBBQ!

vCash
    The only thing that really annoys me about that article is calling Hodgo and Benny 'No Names'

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Amazing bit of Hodgson love on the SANZAR Super Rugby site under the heading of THE ELITE - SUPER RUGBY'S STATS LEADERS

Hodgo makes it on two counts - for Tackles and Turnovers.

Attachment 2929

Matt Hodgson

It is no idle claim to suggest that the Force captain is arguably Super Rugby’s player of the season. While leading from the front as one of the competition’s best captains, Hodgson has made 162 tackles, 36 more than any other player with less than two matches.

TACKLES
    Matt Hodgson 162 (10 appearances)
    Jacques du Plessis 126 (12)
    Boom Prinsloo 124 (12)
    Warren Whiteley 123 (10)
    Shane Christie 120 (9)

Matt Hodgson

What to say in a few words regarding a man who by numbers alone should be one of the first players picked for the Wallabies this year. His 20 turnovers represent a brilliant ability to reset himself after making one of his 162 tackles to cause havoc for most ball carriers.

TURNOVERS WON
    Matt Hodgson 20 (10 appearances)
    Jack Lam 15 (11)
    Marcell Coetzee 15 (10)
    Deon Fourie 12 (11)
    Luke Braid 12 (9)
    Michael Hooper 12 (10)

http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugb...-stat-leaders/

Last edited by andrewg; 16-05-14 at 17:38.

vCash
    I hope Twiggy Forrest understands the quality behind that jersey spot he/FMG bought. Go Hodgo!
    If anyone has an email address for the head of Corporate PR in FMG you might like to email them that article

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    I hope Twiggy Forrest understands the quality behind that jersey spot he/FMG bought. Go Hodgo!
    I think Twiggy played Rugby as well

Jambooi

vCash
    No names?? I know all of their names!!

vCash
    If we make the play offs I wonder who and how many company's will want to be our main sponsor next year? Or will we keep the same format, re individual shirts, but jack up the price!
    IMO keep the same as this year but auction the shirts with a starting price of the same as this year.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    I reckon that would be a great idea..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    If we make the play offs I wonder who and how many company's will want to be our main sponsor next year? Or will we keep the same format, re individual shirts, but jack up the price!
    IMO keep the same as this year but auction the shirts with a starting price of the same as this year.
    Agreed, but I would also make it a live auction not online. Do everything you can to ensure that local companies are the ones with their names on our team. I think that's been one of the most heartening things about the resurgence.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    If anyone has an email address for the head of Corporate PR in FMG you might like to email them that article
    Done

vCash
    After having that photo in the media with FMG front and centre, plus Hodgo's status as the best player in the country so far this year, FMG should be at least tripling the payment for this year. Just reward for effort - and a show of faith.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    After having that photo in the media with FMG front and centre, plus Hodgo's status as the best player in the country so far this year, FMG should be at least tripling the payment for this year. Just reward for effort - and a show of faith.

We need to show our support for the companies who came to our rescue when we were discarded by Emirates. There was even good support from the Sate Government (jersies for the whole bench). I'm convinced that they will continue to support to the level that they are able.

We should get a run of success before we start to act a bit "precious" like the Eastern Sate clubs.

Suggest give existing sponsors the right of first refusal with a slight increase to take us back to the same $s as the "Naming Rights" sponsors of other teams??

Remember that FMG is already supporting Hodgo with employment for 1 day per week during the season (usually during his Wed day off) and 2 days in the off season. Hodgo is working in the Business Development/PR area.

About 100 FMG employees bought No 7 FMG Force game jersies to help the club early in the year and to add to the Sea of Blue.

FMG is already the major sponsor of the Hockeyroos - which they've been supporting for some time.

Last edited by andrewg; 17-05-14 at 20:12.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Twiggy might be a bit short this week after forking out 40 big ones for his own personal butcher shop!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast