Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: O'Connor must be committed to Reds: Genia

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

O'Connor must be committed to Reds: Genia

AAP
    Ed Jackson
    May 13, 2014, 2:27 pm

Queensland Reds halfback Will Genia would welcome the recruitment of James O'Connor but only if the exiled back is wholly committed to the Super Rugby franchise.

The Queensland Rugby Union refuses to deny reports the 23-year-old is close to concluding a deal with the Reds for a return to Australian rugby in 2015.

Having developed a reputation as a disruptive influence following departures from the Western Force and Melbourne Rebels in recent seasons as well as having his ARU deal ripped up last year, O'Connor headed to the northern hemisphere to keep his rugby career alive.

The versatile back is currently playing for London Irish in England and is believed to have signed a deal with French club Toulon for next season but a move to the Reds for next year's Super Rugby competition would give O'Connor a chance to get himself back in the Wallabies setup ahead of next year's World Cup.

Genia was adamant the out-of-form Reds must not chase players who aren't prepared to become a part of the team's culture, regardless of how talented they are.

"There's no denying he is a class player but again, if he was to come it'd have to be for the right reasons," Genia said.

"I'm sure from a cultural point of view those things are more important than any other things. We don't want to be saying yes to just anybody and everybody, guys have to want to come and come for the right reasons."

The man who sent O'Connor packing from the Force in 2011, Richard Graham, is now the coach of the Reds and it's assumed his presence is a hurdle to any move for O'Connor. No hurdle really, they'll sack Rick soon enough

But the native Queenslander is good friends with Reds star Quade Cooper and his recruitment could be a huge fillip to the Reds during a disappointing year where they've only managed three Super Rugby victories and were humbled by the Crusaders in Brisbane last weekend.

Queensland take on the Rebels this weekend and Genia says a sixth consecutive defeat would be almost too much to bear.

"If we do lose to the Rebels it will hurt," he said.

"I think we're the only Australian team to not lose to the Rebels in the Super Rugby competition so that's something that we are proud of. Certainly a record that we want to keep hold of."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...to-reds-genia/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    LOL. now the reds have to put up with this dross. he can come as long as he ties his shoelaces correctly etc. great copy for JOC's manager now considering how dismal the reds are at the moment. he seems like the knight on the white charger.

they need to put graham in the Gibbet before JOC cames galloping in.

vCash
    If he has signed with the Toulon Hairdressers Quartet that means he's not available for pre-seaason plus the first 4-5 rounds, right?
    Leopards and spots comes to mind. No deal Reds. You know it makes sense.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I still think he’s worth pursuing. We should theoretically get him for a song and he’s not really in a position to dictate contract terms. Any funny business and he’s out on his ear.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    If he has signed with the Toulon Hairdressers Quartet that means he's not available for pre-seaason plus the first 4-5 rounds, right?
    Leopards and spots comes to mind. No deal Reds. You know it makes sense.
    he has only signed a short term contract he will be back in aus late dec

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    he has only signed a short term contract he will be back in aus late dec
    Well if that's the case, from all reports he's knuckled down and deserves a shot. With the Reds setting the KPI's

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zed View Post
    I still think he’s worth pursuing. We should theoretically get him for a song and he’s not really in a position to dictate contract terms. Any funny business and he’s out on his ear.
    I'd rather the Reds get him. It appears that he doesn't want to do a pre-season in Aus as he is already signed for Toulon. O'Connor will only see this as a stepping stone to the Wallabies and the World Cup, and should the Reds have a better year next year he will probably claim it was down to him.

vCash
    "I think we're the only Australian team to not lose to the Rebels in the Super Rugby competition so that's something that we are proud of. Certainly a record that we want to keep hold of.".....

Talk about clutching at straws..... WT??? LOL!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Very good point Hertryk! Not exactly aiming high is it?! Lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Very good point Hertryk! Not exactly aiming high is it?! Lol
    Who is higher on the table at the moment. I'd say it's pretty perfectly targeted

C'mon the

vCash
    I think he will fit in very well with "the Red's culture" and based on previous experience he certainly wouldn't fit in with our new (team over the individual) culture.

As much as I would love to have his attacking ability on our backline, it's not worth the risk in damaging what has been an awesome recovery by our team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    "I think we're the only Australian team to not lose to the Rebels in the Super Rugby competition so that's something that we are proud of. Certainly a record that we want to keep hold of.".....

Talk about clutching at straws..... WT??? LOL!
    Ha ha desperate.. This is what Richard Graham is going to base his defence on when his position becomes untenable..

We finished bottom, but we beat the Rebels...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    As much as I would love to have his attacking ability on our backline, it's not worth the risk in damaging what has been an awesome recovery by our team
    I don't think Foley and his coaching team and the players are going to put up with any prima donna antics from JOC. They will be expecting him to behave like he's the second coming and when he does they will be all over him like herpes. He knows that. And he knows that they know that. One mistake, he's out and there will be no Australian franchise that will want a bar of him, even the Reds..

He's too good a player to let go, especially considering we should be getting him for a song and on our terms. We need players of his calibre at the Force yes obviously without all the bullsh!t that comes with that playing ability, but it would be easy for Foley to limit the amount of bullsh!t that comes his way courtesy of JOC.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Zed, The last sentence of Nick Taylor's article today (in The West) states the the Force are no longer in negotiation with JOC. That boat has well and truly sailed.

vCash
    I would rather we spent the money on retaining the players we have got. JOC has sh*t his nest once too often for mine!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast