Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force players pushing for Wallabies spots

vCash

Force players pushing for Wallabies spots

This is what we have all been waiting for! go the Force!
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...llabies-spots/

Coach Michael Foley says many of his largely unheralded Western Force team are sending a clear message to the Wallabies selectors as they move closer to a maiden Super Rugby finals berth.

The Force moved to fourth place on the ladder and second in the Australian conference when they ground out a gutsy 23-16 win over the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein on Sunday (AEST), despite subsisting on a meagre 34 per cent possession.

They defended heroically for long periods, but still scored two tries to one as fullback Jayden Hayward and winger Nick Cummins crossed from deadly counter-attacks deep in their own territory.

The Perth-based franchise's seventh win of the season from 10 games took them above the fancied NSW Waratahs and they are just three points behind the pace-setting Brumbies in the Australian conference with a game in hand.

Foley said his players had earned greater consideration from the national selectors when they choose their squad before the three-Test series against France starting in less than a month.

Force players in Wallabies colours have been scarce over several lean seasons.

Cummins was the only Force player in the match squad for the most recent Test against Wales in Cardiff and backrower Ben McCalman was the only other player in the Spring tour squad.

Prop Pek Cowan and captain Matt Hodgson are the other Force players from the Bloemfontein game to have played for Australia.

Foley didn't name names but some of his emerging players who might attract the attention are lock Adam Coleman, flanker Angus Cottrell, centre Kyle Godwin and hooker Nathan Charles.

"I think a lot of our players are putting their hands up," Foley said.

"There are a number of players in our forwards that I think have shown good ability outside the core skills.

"Some of our tight five are defending like back rowers. I think some of our back rowers are coming up with amazing plays and I think there's a couple of backs that could also put their hands up there.

"Our guys don't talk about that but I'm sure it's in there back of their mind. Everybody would love to play for their country.

"But I do think it's starting to get to the point where I think definitely the international selectors need to consider these guys."

The two tries apart, the Force's other 13 points came from former Cheetahs five-eighth and Bloemfontein product Sias Ebersohn.

"I think he's been playing superbly well this year, much better than last year and I think he'll keep getting better," Foley said.

With their scrum dominating, the Force bolted to a 16-6 halftime lead.

The Cheetahs got to within three points early in the second half following their only try to No.8 Boom Prinsloo, which came shortly after Hodgson was sin-binned for a breakdown infringement.

Hodgson downplayed talk about the Force's prospects of topping the Australian conference.

'We've got a goal for the next four-game block so we're just focusing on that and also the Stormers (next weekend)," Hodgson said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Our players picked for a national jersey? HAHA.
    The likes of Horwill, Genia and Robinson will already have their wallabies jerseys hanging up in their lockers at the Wallabies Camp.
    Would like to see Honey Badger, Cottrell, Godwin, Adam Coleman, Hodgo and K-Bomb get an opportunity.
    Also would like to see Nic White, Tomane, possibly Tomua.
    Will Skelton is a MONSTER.
    Some refinement and he will definitely be contesting for wallabies gold.
    What do you guys think?

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    In a very selfish way of thinking, and not that it will happen, I hope they are all overlooked for the French tests. The teams stays as a unit and we hit the finals for first time and perhaps cause some upsets at the business end of the season.

And then come Rugby Championships they will have to be included.

10 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    In a very selfish way of thinking, and not that it will happen, I hope they are all overlooked for the French tests. The teams stays as a unit and we hit the finals for first time and perhaps cause some upsets at the business end of the season.

And then come Rugby Championships they will have to be included.
    I too, possess that same selfish streak.

Player
    vCash
    There has been quite a bit of discussion about who will be the next Wallaby Captain....
    The best Captain in Super Rugby is Matt Hodgson!!
    Leading the tackle count in Super Rugby, scored a couple of trys, holds the refs to account, inspires the men around him and leading from the front!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political BS View Post
    There has been quite a bit of discussion about who will be the next Wallaby Captain....
    The best Captain in Super Rugby is Matt Hodgson!!
    Leading the tackle count in Super Rugby, scored a couple of trys, holds the refs to account, inspires the men around him and leading from the front!!
    Agree...but NSW/Sydney (home base for the ARU) is setting up Michael Hooper.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Michael Hooper would be a mistake imo - just as I think it was a mistake to make David Pocock captain (both of the Force and the Wallabies). They are too young and still learning their trade - it's not fair to burden them with captaincy as well. Nor is it good for the team as a whole imo.

I agree that Hodgo is an awesome choice as captain. But I don't reckon he'll be picked for the Wallabies. In his absence, I'd back Higgers - I reckon he's an awesome leader too.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Michael Hooper would be a mistake imo - just as I think it was a mistake to make David Pocock captain (both of the Force and the Wallabies). They are too young and still learning their trade - it's not fair to burden them with captaincy as well. Nor is it good for the team as a whole imo.

I agree that Hodgo is an awesome choice as captain. But I don't reckon he'll be picked for the Wallabies. In his absence, I'd back Higgers - I reckon he's an awesome leader too.
    Higgers has played himself out of Wallabies selection.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    I'd be mightily upset if Hodgo doesn't get a call up. He would make an excellent Wallabies captain but I'd have to think that Hooper or Moore will get the gig.

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Yeah, I'd be pretty surprised if Moore wasn't made captain. He's the only real selection certainty in the forwards long term, since Hooper has the likes of Hodgo, Gill & Pocock to contend with.
    I think he'd do a good job of it too - speaks well, doesn't come across as a whinger (like Horwill & Genia) and is a lead by example type with plenty of international experience.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Moore - Always the quiet achiever.. about time he received recognition....

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Barring injuries I think our best possible outcome would be McCalman and Cummins starting with Cottrell and/or Hodgson on the bench. Can't see any of the others getting in just yet.

Godwin doesn't really cover wing,13 or 15 so that will cost him against guys like McCabe and Horne. He would still be behind Toomua and Lilo as a 10/12.

TPN is still ahead of Charles but I think the gap is closing.

vCash
    K bomb and Cheese are my dark horses to make the squad!!

vCash
    We also seem to be short of in form locks if the discussion on GNGR is anything to go by. I think Coleman might get a gig and Cottrell is a possible for a back three bench spot. I think you might be surprised by Kyle, he was on the radar for the Spring tour before he got injured lst year and his defesive stats are some of the best in the comp. hes also shown some brilliance in counter attack this year just unfortunate our game plans have ruled out him showing what he can do with ball in hand.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Thing about Kyle and where the Force are at is that we are playing a game plan where we are patient and not flashy. Everyone fulfills their role. We keep it simple. Kyle fulfills his role with aplomb and those tackling stats are a good indicator of this. What I find interesting is that when we have our opportunities he always shines because he has natural talent and instinct and the patient game that we play is off the table and it then becomes about scoring the try. Form wise, Godwin is head and shoulders about Lealiifano. The only thing Lilo has going for him is his goal kicking. But if Nic White starts for the Wallabies maybe he'd be a better option.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast