Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force to 'Pull On Your Socks' for McGrath Foundation

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force to 'Pull On Your Socks' for McGrath Foundation

By RugbyWA Media Unit
    5 May 2014

The Western Force will wear pink socks in their match against the Lions at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium) on Saturday, 24 May in support of the McGrath Foundation’s ‘Pull On Your Socks’ campaign.

‘Pull On Your Socks’ encourages sports teams to wear pink socks to support the McGrath Foundation ensure every family in Australia experiencing breast cancer has access to a breast care nurse, as well as increasing breast awareness in young Australians.

The Western Australian team is encouraging its supporters in the Sea of Blue to join in the campaign by purchasing pink ‘Pull On Your Socks’ socks from the Western Force Team Store for the match with all proceeds going to the McGrath Foundation. Local teams can also get on board by registering to host their own Pull On Your Socks game at www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au.

Cricketing legend and McGrath Foundation Friend, Justin Langer attended Western Force training with Perth McGrath Breast Care Nurse, Moira Waters to help launch the club’s ‘Pull On Your Socks’ match. Moira is based out of Breast Cancer Care WA and supports local families through their breast cancer experience from diagnosis and right through treatment.

McGrath Foundation Co-Founder and President, Glenn McGrath AM, will attend the Western Force’s match against the Lions.

One in eight Australian women will be diagnosed with breast cancer before the age of 85, with more than 1,500 Western Australian women estimated to be diagnosed with breast cancer in 2014.

Today, the McGrath Foundation is considered to be one of Australia’s leading breast cancer support organisations, with over 25,000 Australian families supported by 92 McGrath Breast Care Nurses nationally in the last five years. An additional eight positions will be placed in the coming months bringing the network total to 100.

There are currently nine McGrath Breast Care Nurses working in WA with three new McGrath Breast Care Nurse positions to be placed in the coming months in Geraldton, Mandurah and Narrogin. These McGrath Breast Care Nurses have supported more than 1,700 families over the past few years.

Western Force captain Matt Hodgson said his team was keen to support such a worthwhile cause.

“We’re very pleased to get behind the ‘Pull On Your Socks’ campaign to support the great work the McGrath Foundation does,” he said.

“Most people will know a friend or have a family member that has been affected by breast cancer, and we’re very happy to do what we can to promote breast cancer awareness and help raise funds to provide these people with the support they need.”

McGrath Foundation Ambassador and Director, Tracy Bevan, is thrilled to have the support of the Force and the entire WA community.

"Initiatives like ‘Pull On Your Socks’ are not only important for our funding of McGrath Breast Care Nurses but are a great way for the community to get on board and show their support, just like the Force is doing,” she said. “We're so excited to be at the Force Field on the 24 May and can't wait to see all the fans decked in our pink socks and taking part in ‘Pull On Your Socks’!”

To find out more about the McGrath Foundation and the Pull On Your Socks campaign, please visit www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/pullonyoursocks.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Let's turn the sea of blue into the sea of pink for this one! :-))

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Where are they available from?

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    $12 at the Team Store at HQ is all I have so far

vCash
    Surely they will be on sale at the ground on the 24th?

vCash
    Correct Jargs but I don't want you changing your smelly socks at Nib, we have a game to sit through!!

They will also be available for purchase online from the team store.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Correct Jargs but I don't want you changing your smelly socks at Nib, we have a game to sit through!!

They will also be available for purchase online from the team store.
    Thanks tif bit of a trip from where I am to the team store.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Saw them on Ebay too

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I am not going to win many friends with this opinion of mine.

SO please forgive me.

First up Breast Cancer is bad and we should do everything to find a cure for it as soon as possible.

However The McGrath Foundation which could arguably be considered one of the most popular, most well supported and most well known Charity organisation in Australia doesn't try to cure Cancer, it provides Nurses.

If the McGrath Foundation put its popularity towards fighting cancer and looking at funding research surely the days of Breast Cancer related deaths would quickly be a thing of the past.

In my humble opinion I would be much happier if the Western Force supported research for a cure to Prostate Cancer - which is just as deadly as Breast Cancer. Or helping our returned servicemen suffering from PTSD.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Nothing wrong with that at all Exile. I think that the important thing is that 'we', as a community of Rugby Supporters, contribute to something bigger than ourselves. Whether that is Breast Cancer or Prostate Cancer or whatever is beside the point.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    I am not going to win many friends with this opinion of mine.

SO please forgive me.

First up Breast Cancer is bad and we should do everything to find a cure for it as soon as possible.

However The McGrath Foundation which could arguably be considered one of the most popular, most well supported and most well known Charity organisation in Australia doesn't try to cure Cancer, it provides Nurses.

If the McGrath Foundation put its popularity towards fighting cancer and looking at funding research surely the days of Breast Cancer related deaths would quickly be a thing of the past.

In my humble opinion I would be much happier if the Western Force supported research for a cure to Prostate Cancer - which is just as deadly as Breast Cancer. Or helping our returned servicemen suffering from PTSD.
    I think you need to think about the people actually pushing through the fight. Sometimes beating cancer takes hope. It takes someone who can understand what you are going through, understand what you need, understand that whilst you may look fine on the outside, things are far from it. I remember reading that you had issues with depression, thats like saying that lets find the root cause of depression and not help the people currently suffering it.

Sorry ex, i find your comment disappointing.

Lets not support Ronald McDonald house either, it doesn't find a cure...

Veteran
    vCash
    Let me add something, exile apologised to me personally, but I guess I want to point out that he has nothing to say sorry for. I have not got any close friends needing the support of the McGrath foundation, though I know people who have used ronald McDonald house.

I just think that sometimes it isn't just the core that needs support, but the people affected by it.

I hope my post has reminded exile of that point, and perhaps others as well.

I cannot imagine how scary someone saying "you have cancer" and being pushed onto the roller coaster that happens immediately after.

I'd want support and understanding.

On his other point: yes very supported, and perhaps you meant support another charity that could use it more. I'm am not against that at all.

Thanks for listening folks.

vCash
    I am with you 100% palitu ... Sorry X
    There are many organisations doing research and they spend billions of dollars world wide to find a cure for cancer... And dont take this as a negative but has any one found it yet??? The small amount the Glenn Mcgarth foundation gets compared to the others goes miles and miles to help the people of today I support the GMF .

(((((((Or helping our returned servicemen suffering from PTSD)))))

I do agree this is an area with great need So X you get my support on this 100%

Last edited by Tonkar; 06-05-14 at 06:00.

vCash
    I know I am cynical but I bet no-one is trying harder to find a cure for cancer than the big pharmaceutical companies. It would be the holy grail for them as well as the rest of us.

vCash
    I am also pretty sure the Force change their chosen charities every few years so the love ($$$) is spread around

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast