Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Force to 'Pull On Your Socks' for McGrath Foundation

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    First up to be honest I wish I hadn't posted my opinion as stated above. I, at times struggle to get my point of view across clearly.

Palitu is correct in that I have never considered the needs of a cancer sufferer, and the support that they may require. But I feel certain that if any Cancer sufferer was to be offered the choice between cure or a carer. They would take cure every time.

Personally I think that the Glen McGrath Foundation gets enough support from professional sport. Some could argue that it is a Cricket charity. Tho I think the Mungos have shown it some love over recent years as well.

I think that the Western Force could support a charity a little bit closer to home for example Nathan Charles and his support of Cystic Fibrosis appears to have a lot more relevance. The SAS Resources Trust is a charity that is WA based and gets no where near the recognition it deserves. and as I said before the support of our returning troops who are suffering from PTSD is not something that should be forgotten about.

I mention the last 2 only as I am a former member of the Australian Defence Force.

I have probably not helped my argument here. But I hope this clarifies what I said before.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I know I am cynical but I bet no-one is trying harder to find a cure for cancer than the big pharmaceutical companies. It would be the holy grail for them as well as the rest of us.
    My cynicism of big pharmaceutical companies must be stronger then yours Alison. I believe their idea of a cure would be for a drug, but preferably a cocktail of drugs to be taken every day to manage the cancer for the rest of the Cancer Sufferers life is their idea of a cure. Just like HIV (AIDS).

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Nathan takes about 50 tablets a day to help him live with CF.

And Ex, although McGrath Foundation is the "face" of the campaign, Breast Cancer Care WA is the actual recipient which is a local charity that provides the actual care and nurses.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    First up to be honest I wish I hadn't posted my opinion as stated above. I, at times struggle to get my point of view across clearly.

Palitu is correct in that I have never considered the needs of a cancer sufferer, and the support that they may require. But I feel certain that if any Cancer sufferer was to be offered the choice between cure or a carer. They would take cure every time.

Personally I think that the Glen McGrath Foundation gets enough support from professional sport. Some could argue that it is a Cricket charity. Tho I think the Mungos have shown it some love over recent years as well.

I think that the Western Force could support a charity a little bit closer to home for example Nathan Charles and his support of Cystic Fibrosis appears to have a lot more relevance. The SAS Resources Trust is a charity that is WA based and gets no where near the recognition it deserves. and as I said before the support of our returning troops who are suffering from PTSD is not something that should be forgotten about.

I mention the last 2 only as I am a former member of the Australian Defence Force.

I have probably not helped my argument here. But I hope this clarifies what I said before.

Like i said in the PM, you are a respected member in this forum, and proven not to be a plonker (as hertryk would put it). Please put you opinion forward and you will be replied to with respect from everyone in this forum!

What i liked was that I could get you to think about an aspect of the argument that you hadn't thought of.

-----------------------------------------

The players choose the charity don't they?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post

While in general I agree with you, and God knows it's difficult to know which hand to put my hard earned cash into, the difference here I think is a choice between paliative care now or a cure in the future.
    After a recent long and serious illness myself I can tell you that being able to have good nursing care at home rather than in a hospital is a great relief both to the patient and the family.
    A cure could be a long way down the track and there are a lot of charities helping that along, but there are very few with practical help right now when people need it.

Having said that, my prefered charity is Beyond Blue (http://www.beyondblue.org.au/)

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Bloody hell guys, they're all good!

As long as we're giving our reddies to a worthy cause, need we bicker about which is the best cause?

Ex, I know you'll take that comment in the spirit in which it is intended. Let's just get behind a team that does a helluva lot to support a range of worthy charities.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Got my socks yesterday and word from the Superstore at HQ is that they are selling fast.

Get in early and don't wait for game day, you might miss out!!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Got my socks yesterday and word from the Superstore at HQ is that they are selling fast.

Get in early and don't wait for game day, you might miss out!!
    Tif do they have the western force emblem on them?

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    No, they are a generic McGrath Foundation pink and black sock which I guess are used for all sorts of fundraising by different organisations.

vCash
    Referees in WA will also be supporting this by purchasing the socks and wearing them for the Metro games on the 17th.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    WARURA Referee
    I do it because I love the game.

vCash
    Got ours in mail today only ordered them on Wednesday.

vCash
    I speak as a breast cancer survivor and thank everyone who is buying the socks as to me it is a great cause. I agree that there are a lot of worthy causes and we could argue for many hours about the pros and cons of choosing any particular one, but please know that this survivor thanks charities everyday. I will wear my pink stripey socks with pride.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Ill be wearing my pink socks, got them earlier this week, should complement the blue suit nicely!
    Might even stick on the pink wrestling mask the missus got (from eating a 1kg burrito quicker than I could unwrap mine!) for shiz and giggles.

vCash
    bump

vCash
    HQ have already had to get more stock in and a very pleased with sales, match tickets selling well too

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2