Thread: Waratahs back coach Cheika

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Waratahs back coach Cheika

AAP
    Darren Walton
    May 1, 2014, 2:29 pm

The NSW Waratahs are rallying around besieged coach Michael Cheika as they steel themselves for their most important match of the Super Rugby season.

The one-time competition leaders and title favourites will tumble outside the top six for the first time all campaign with a loss to the Hurricanes on Saturday night, while the misbehaving Cheika faces a lengthy suspension if he slips up again.

SANZAR judicial officer Nigel Hampton QC this week hit Cheika with a suspended six-month ban from the game and ordered him to pay $6000 in costs after finding the hot-tempered coach guilty of verbally abusing a cameraman in South Africa.

Cheika had until Thursday night to appeal, but is understood to have decided against it and will cop his punishment.

While he lays low and refuses to discuss the matter publicly, assistant coach Daryl Gibson and veteran prop Benn Robinson say Cheika retains the full support of the Waratahs.

"As an organisation, we're fully right behind him," Gibson said on Thursday.

"Michael is a very passionate person and he believes strongly in standing up for the team."

Robinson insisted Cheika's battles with officialdom have had no bearing on the team's performances and nor had the coach's SANZAR hearing this week been a distraction ahead of the Waratahs' hosting of the Hurricanes.

"For the players, it's straight down to business (at training)," he said.

"If you look at Michael as a coach, he's always got the team first and whatever it takes for him to allow the team to perform at its best, he's going to do that."

Cheika also upset the Brumbies earlier this season when he smashed a glass door in the coaches' box during his side's derby loss in Canberra.

But NSW captain Dave Dennis believes Cheika's greatest strength is that "he wears his heart on his sleeve".

"The players know what to expect from him," Dennis told AAP.

"There's no grey areas with Cheik. He's obviously very honest with players and I think that's a great quality he's got.

"He's probably shown over the course of the season that he's quite passion about winning and I don't think as a playing group it's affected us at all.

"Obviously the public can form their own opinion but, as a playing group, we've still got a lot of respect for Cheik."

Of more concern to the sixth-placed Waratahs is beating the fourth-placed Hurricanes at Allianz Stadium.

"It's crucial," Gibson said.

"Obviously we're at that stage of the season for both teams that if we want to progress and stay in the hunt for the playoff spots that we win.

"But also equally how we really want to find our attacking mojo and get that back and score some good tries."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...-coach-cheika/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    The beginning of the end - every time I hear that the Executive of any sporting club is "backing their coach" or are "fully behind him" they are just searching for the right spot to slip in the knife. Have not heard this from the Reds yet.. waiting

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitythefool View Post
    The beginning of the end - every time I hear that the Executive of any sporting club is "backing their coach" or are "fully behind him" they are just searching for the right spot to slip in the knife. Have not heard this from the Reds yet.. waiting
    This was the players and the coaching team wasn't it. That means were a couple of weeks away from the board expressing their support for him. Once that happens, you know they're drafting the job ad for the papers.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Various discussions abound re KB & the very public manner in which he blew up on field at his team mates. Very poor form and once again we see an issue of big ego causing disruption. I would say Beale hasn't learnt any humility the past year and looks to me like Deans era favouritism with the 3 amigos now being Cheika & Beale replicating exactly the same behaviour. But then when your coach acts like a bogan what can you expect? It just makes me grateful for our own true Aussie battler Force guys, no room/time for BS just do your job to best of your ability! I think that's why I loved that Anzac tribute last week at the game so much it just said it all about where the Force are at at the moment. I'm pretty sure Ben Roberts- Smith would be proud of them now!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ben Roberts- Smith would be proud of them now!
    I am pretty sure the Force guys did the Dawn Service at SASR Swanbourne.

I know Foley recognises them as a great local influence.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!