Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force search wide for tour party

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force search wide for tour party

Nick Taylor The West Australian
    May 1, 2014, 6:50 am

Western Force coach Michael Foley is waiting on the fitness of winger Ed Stubbs before naming his squad for the two-game tour of South Africa.

Stubbs, recovering from damaged ribs, is the only one of seven injured players who could return in time for the games against the Cheetahs and Stormers.

Winger Luke Morahan (ham- string), scrum-halves Alby Mathewson (ankle) and Ryan Louwrens (knee), second-rower Hugh McMeniman (broken collarbone), flanker Chris Alcock (shoulder) and centre Junior Rasolea (broken wrist) are out.

The Force fly out on Saturday and if Foley stays with the same make-up as last year's tour he will take 14 forwards and 12 backs.

However, stocks look slim and Foley could be forced to go to his wider training group.

He could pick back Luke Burton, vice-captain of the Australian under-20 side, who kicked three conversions and a penalty in the win over Samoa yesterday.

Another option could come from two young South Africans in the wider group, winger Dylan Sage or full-back Dillyn Leyds, who can also play fly-half.

The Force have re-signed prop Ollie Hoskins and second-rower Adam Coleman for two years.

Tighthead Hoskins represented WA in various age groups, was in the national talent squad and spent six years in the RugbyWA academy before making the Australian under-20 squad at the 2012 and 2013 junior World Cups.

The 122kg former Scotch College student has appeared in all nine games this season.

Hoskins, who is one of nine Perth-produced players in the Force squad, turned down offers from other Super franchises.

"We've built a culture that you can't really see yourself leaving so to be locked away for the next two years is a really good feeling," Hoskins said.

"This is where I grew up and I've always wanted to play for this team."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...or-tour-party/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    "This is where I grew up and I've always wanted to play for this team.
    How good is it to hear that! Good on you young man.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Veteran
    vCash
    how good is it that there are a number of injuries and we are still going strong.

first time in years!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash

He could pick back Luke Burton, vice-captain of the Australian under-20 side, who kicked three conversions and a penalty in the win over Samoa yesterday.

Another option could come from two young South Africans in the wider group, winger Dylan Sage or full-back Dillyn Leyds, who can also play fly-half.
    I don't see the issue, this is a good thing for us. Pick these guys, give them a crack, that is what they are there for!

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Agree at some point we are going to have to rely on some of these guys but only if they are ready or nearly there. Nothing worse than being setup for failure at a young age.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Agree at some point we are going to have to rely on some of these guys but only if they are ready or nearly there. Nothing worse than being setup for failure at a young age.
    That is exactly why these guys have been held back. They all have great skills and potential, but physically they are but boys in a man’s world. So far I say well done Force for looking to the future and not getting led in temptation!!

vCash
    Otoh, there's a certain freedom in "we know it's early, and a big ask for you, but you're the best we've got and well give you all the support we can. Go out there and do your best, you might surprise yourself.

I reckon there was a bit of that going on with Junior, look how he improved once he realized he wasn't out of his depth.

C'mon the

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Otoh, there's a certain freedom in "we know it's early, and a big ask for you, but you're the best we've got and well give you all the support we can. Go out there and do your best, you might surprise yourself.

I reckon there was a bit of that going on with Junior, look how he improved once he realized he wasn't out of his depth.
    You mean like kyle's first couple of games of the bench

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Rookie
    vCash
    I've seen video of Leyds playing. That kid can play.I know it was a lower standard than super rugby but from what I saw he has all the skills. Plus with SA now having about 50 teams in the new format coming, we have to do our best to keep the guys we've got. The bunch of guys we have got are obviously happy and we should guard and protect that unity by giving the fringe players a taste from time to time.

vCash
    You mean like kyle's first couple of games of the bench
    Well I guess, yeah, he was pretty bloody shaky in his first start, but nobody expected him to turn the game on its ear. Look at him now!

C'mon the

vCash
    We have the guys of the future at the Force already! SA rugby will die over the next 5-10 years and we will be the saviour of the SA style of rugby.
    Big forwards and fast backs! Perth will become their home because we don't discriminate, if your good enough that's enough for WA!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Nick Taylor of The West Australian
    May 1, 2014, 6:50 am

The Force fly out on Saturday and if Foley stays with the same make-up as last year's tour he will take 14 forwards and 12 backs.

However, stocks look slim and Foley could be forced to go to his wider training group.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...or-tour-party/

I doubt whether Burton would be going to Africa, not when you're VC of the Aust. U20's and fly out to the JWC in NZ in less than three weeks. Far to much time and money invested in that campaign, they should go alright as well.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
    I doubt whether Burton would be going to Africa, not when you're VC of the Aust. U20's and fly out to the JWC in NZ in less than three weeks. Far to much time and money invested in that campaign, they should go alright as well.
    He's going mate

5/2/2014

Force announces squad for South Africa

By RugbyWA Media Unit

The Western Force has announced its 26-man squad that will travel to South Africa ahead of the team’s Asteron Life Super Rugby matches against the Cheetahs and the Stormers.

Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley has included the match day squad that defeated the Bulls on Saturday night, and added lock Phoenix Battye, outside back Patrick Dellit and flyhalf/centre Luke Burton.

Both Dellit and Battye were a part of the Western Force squad that took on the Rebels in Melbourne a fortnight ago, while Burton re-joins the team from the Australian Under 20 squad. The 20-year-old, who is yet to make his Asteron Life Super Rugby debut, was vice-captain and starting inside centre for the national Under 20’s side that defeated Samoa Under 20’s on Wednesday. This will be Perth-born Burton’s first tour with the Western Force squad.

Foley says the two-match tour provides a significant challenge for his team.

“The Bulls provided some insight into the next block of games,” he said. “However, while we can expect more mauling and clever strategic kicking, the Cheetahs will also play with a lot of width and the Stormers are noted for their defence.

“Playing four South African sides back-to-back is a great challenge for us. The games will be physical and we will need to play with the intensity we achieved in the Waratahs and Bulls games.

“We’re pleased to welcome Phoenix and Paddy back into the squad to provide coverage in the second row and outside backs respectively.

“This is also a great opportunity for Luke to be a part of the Force touring squad for the first time. He joins us from the Australian Under 20’s camp and has earnt his selection through the hard work he’s undertaken with the squad over the last 18 months.”

The Western Force will depart on Saturday before taking on the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein (Saturday, 10 May) and the Stormers at Cape Town’s Newlands Stadium on Saturday, 17 May.

2014 Asteron Life Super Rugby – South Africa Tour

Cheetahs v Western Force

Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein

Saturday, 10 May 2014

Kick-off: 5.05pm (local)/11.05pm (AWST)

Stormers v Western Force

Newlands Stadium, Cape Town

Saturday, 17 May 2014

Kick-off: 5.05pm (local)/11.05pm (AWST)

Western Force squad

Phoenix Battye, Marcel Brache, Luke Burton, Nathan Charles, Adam Coleman, Angus Cottrell, Pek Cowan, Nick Cummins, Patrick Dellit, Sias Ebersohn, Tetera Faulkner, Kyle Godwin, Dane Haylett-Petty, Jayden Hayward, Matt Hodgson (c), Zack Holmes, Oliver Hoskins, Kieran Longbottom, Ben McCalman, Ian Prior, Brynard Stander, Wilhelm Steenkamp, Heath Tessmann, Chris Tuatara-Morrison, Justin Turner, Sam Wykes.

http://www.westernforce.com.au/NewsE...th-Africa.aspx

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    haha so he is - I would've thought the U20's got together for a few hit-outs leading up to the JWC as a complete squad. But it looks as though they'll be back from Africa 10 days prior to their 1st match in NZ. I can't wait to see him get on to the paddock for the Force!!

Veteran
    vCash
    iinside centres a bit tough for him to break into with kyle there, i wonder where foles sees him, perhaps as a cover across the backline?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast