Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Confident Force ready for African foray

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Confident Force ready for African foray

AAP The West Australian
    April 29, 2014, 11:19 am

Money can buy a lots of things, but it can't buy belief.

At the moment, the Western Force have belief on tap, and they're hoping there's plenty left in the tank ahead of what shapes as a season-defining tour of South Africa.

Six wins from their past seven games have propelled the Force into fourth spot on the Super Rugby table.

The Perth-based franchise have the bye this week, before taking on the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein and the Stormers in Cape Town.

The Cheetahs sit in 14th spot on the table, while the Stormers are dead last after posting just two wins from their opening nine games.

Should the Force secure a perfect two wins from the tour, it would put them within touching distance of securing a maiden finals berth.

A home final is also a distinct possibility.

Captain Matt Hodgson has been through plenty of dark times at the Force since arriving in Perth for the team's inaugural season in 2006.

But he said the blood, sweat and tears under coach Michael Foley's worth had paid off in spades.

"The majority of this playing group has been together for 18 months. We did a lot of hard work last year and didn't get the results we deserved," Hodgson said.

"But now to get it and have belief in the group, you're seeing us winning games with 13 men left on the field and wins away from home.

"We've got a lot of momentum at the moment and we just have to keep riding that."

Coach Michael Foley knows his team still have plenty of areas to improve on if they are to become a major contender this year.

The scrum has been a hit-and-miss area all season, while the line-out has become a concern in recent weeks.

The Force lost possession on a host of their own throws in last week's 15-9 win over the Bulls, and Foley said he would use the team's bye week to work on the area.

Winger Luke Morahan (hamstring), scrumhalf Alby Mathewson (ankle), lock Hugh McMeniman (collarbone) and flanker Chris Alcock (shoulder) will all miss the tour of South Africa.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...african-foray/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I find it ironic that the Tahs chose "Believe" as THEIR tagline for 2014!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I find it ironic that the Tahs chose "Believe" as THEIR tagline for 2014!
    I find it unbelievable that they haven't petitioned the ARU to ban us using "their" tag line.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Without wanting to put the mockers on them, does anyone know what the ticketing situation is for the finals? Wouldn't the Force have to be careful that a Perth finals game doesn't turn into a Kiwi home game for our NZ opposition?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash

The scrum has been a hit-and-miss area all season, while the line-out has become a concern in recent weeks.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...african-foray/[/QUOTE]

May I suggest, as an innocent unbiased member of Sea of Blue ....... getting Sharpie in as Line-out coach..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    Without wanting to put the mockers on them, does anyone know what the ticketing situation is for the finals? Wouldn't the Force have to be careful that a Perth finals game doesn't turn into a Kiwi home game for our NZ opposition?
    Still a long time to go before we reach that stage but I would imagine members have the first crack at tickets for a final?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Still a long time to go before we reach that stage but I would imagine members have the first crack at tickets for a final?
    So that would be about 10,000? Anyone know how many members we have?
    I suppose then we all buy one extra ticket and take a mate (not a Kiwi mate though) we could fill the stadium with Blue.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I would really hope RWA resist the temptation to play any finals at Spewbi. I would pay double to play at Force Field!

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post

May I suggest, as an innocent unbiased member of Sea of Blue ....... getting Sharpie in as Line-out coach..
    You can suggest what ever you like, Jo. But the "unbiased" bit won't get past first base.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    It is nice to speculate about finals and the ticketing for such would certainly be of intense interest, but lots of water to flow before then. On point, I have to say the Cheetahs match worries me just a little. I was profoundly impressed that the team managed to take on the Bulls at their strengths and beat them at it. The Cheetahs take quite a different approach though - they do what they can in defence, but primarily back themselves to score more than they concede. Let them attack and they will do so from everywhere. They'll make mistakes too, but you have to capitalise and attack back. If you don't, they're gonna get through.

vCash
    Yes your right Andy The Cheetars are dangerous and probably no less than the Stormers at home!
    Two very tough matches in SA.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    I would really hope RWA resist the temptation to play any finals at Spewbi. I would pay double to play at Force Field!
    Absolutely totally agree...

vCash
    Lets not get ahead of ourselves, Africa is never an easy tour!! We need to win at least 4 of the remaining games to be in with a chance, then we can start thinking about finals, until then one game at a time.

vCash
    I think it's not unreasonable for us to target at least one of the ZA games. The odds should have us in with a good shot of winning both. One out of two would be enough to make it hard not to plan for the finals

C'mon the

vCash
    hoping the Bulls can help us over the line in SA as they play the stormers and the cheetahs the week b4 we do

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast