Thread: Force not scared of big Bulls pack

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force not scared of big Bulls pack

AAP
    Justin Chadwick
    April 22, 2014, 4:39 pm

Western Force prop Kieran Longbottom knows he and his fellow heavyweights can't afford another "off week" when they confront the Bulls in Saturday night's Super Rugby clash in Perth.

The Force's scrum was dismantled in last week's 22-16 loss to the Melbourne Rebels, with the result ending the Perth-based franchise's five-game winning streak.

Although Longbottom expressed his disappointed with the scrum performance, he isn't panicking just yet.

South African teams are renowned for their powerful scrums, but Longbottom is confident the Force will be able to match the Bulls in this area.

"They're a big pack with big boys. They've always been that way," Longbottom said of the Bulls.

"But we've just got to meet that challenge and front up physically.

"I'm going to put it down to an off week (against the Rebels). It's nothing we can't fix in a week. All we've got to do is pull tight as an eight and work harder together."

The Force are set to be bolstered by the return of lock Sam Wykes and fullback Jayden Hayward, but winger Luke Morahan (hamstring) and scrumhalf Alby Mathewson (ankle) are amongst a host of players still grounded by injury.

The Bulls will be without scrumhalf Piet van Zyl (knee), while skipper Flip van der Merwe could also miss the Force clash after being charged with striking Waratahs prop Paddy Ryan in last week's 19-12 loss in Sydney.

The Force (5-3) sit in fifth spot on the table, but Longbottom said there was still plenty of hard work ahead if the team is to earn a maiden finals berth.

"We want to be the best Force team that come through here," Longbottom said.

"If that ends up being in finals, that's spectacular.

"But we've just got to keep working and focus on the job ahead."

Longbottom, the first born and bred West Australian to progress through the state's local pathway and into the Force team, will notch his 50th Super cap when he fronts up against the Bulls.

The 28-year-old said he was enjoying his rugby journey, and predicted a host of West Australian players would make their way into Super ranks over the coming years.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ig-bulls-pack/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Definitely an area for us to improve on from last weekend, getting monstered in the scrum last weekend cost us a lot. Should see a solid turnaround this weekend

Last edited by Macattack; 24-04-14 at 12:18.

vCash
    We're used to dominating bigger packs, it didn't happen last week, and I'm sure the boys are feeling it.

It always used to be that you only needed to match the Bulls forwards and you won the game, because their backs were virtually nonexistent. Not so these days, but they still think that way. If we can get an edge on their front foot ball, they'll tuck it back into the tight and we'll be able to use that knowledge to cover them strongly.

We need to win contact and at least match the set piece this week. get the boys prepared for another slug-fest Foles, they won't get a minute off, but this one is well in our reach.

C'mon the

vCash
    Work them over in close and, as they now say, earn the right to go wide and find gaps - hopefully the Badger will see a lot more ball than last weekend. If we hold them well in close and get some ruck dominance we should be right for this one.

I would also like to see Kyle offload a bit more ball than he has been. His defence has been great and he often draws two defenders, but I reckon he can sometimes starve the winger outside him.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    but I reckon he can sometimes starve the winger outside him.
    You saw what happened two weeks ago when The Honeybadger had been starved

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Hopefully this Bulls team will be tired from the travel and our boys will tackle them off the park.

vCash
    I love the work that Kyle puts in, in defence in particular but he hasn't been breaking the line to much this year. Any one noticed why?

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    I love the work that Kyle puts in, in defence in particular but he hasn't been breaking the line to much this year. Any one noticed why?
    I reckon he seems to be getting targeted by teams now but I really don't think that should be an excuse It seems as though positionally he's not able to find the gaps on the inside and is being used as a cover defence for the wing. Don't know what everyone else reckons?

vCash
    Our attack is flat and a lot of our backs are being caught flat footed. Without some front foot ball Kyle will continue to work very hard to push attack.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    Our attack is flat and a lot of our backs are being caught flat footed. Without some front foot ball Kyle will continue to work very hard to push attack.
    True - that game against the Rebels was great with the guys really running fast onto the ball and NO mishandling. Don't know If it's my imagination but that seems to have petered out a bit in games with more emphasis on impact but I guess that's been dictated by the teams eg Tahs that they've played. Still, when they get ball in hand and some momentum they really look dangerous.