Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Force firm on crucial piece of the puzzle

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force firm on crucial piece of the puzzle

Western Force will challenge Australian Rugby Union rules in a bid to extend the contract of marquee player Alby Mathewson.

The former All Blacks scrum-half was signed under the ARU's two-year overseas Test player deal last season.

The Force want to keep the No.9 and will use the precedent set by the game's governing body when they allowed Wales No.8 Gareth Delve an extension to his marquee contract at the Melbourne Rebels.

Coach Michael Foley said Mathewson was a crucial player.

"Alby is vital to our team," Foley said.

"Discussions are happening and there are a couple of levels to those. It's too simplistic for somebody in an office to turn around and say there are other nines available.

"It's very, very important for the Western Force that we take our time and walk the ARU through it and hopefully come to some understanding so that we can re-sign Alby."

The Force have more than two dozen players coming off contract this season, among them overseas development player Sias Ebersohn. The South African fly-half has shown the form that made him a Force target several years before he finally signed to the club. If he stays at the Force for another season Ebersohn becomes eligible to play for Australia.

His form has sparked interest in South Africa, with reports Springboks coach Heyneke Meyer has been monitoring him.

The Force have had talks with James O'Connor's management in the past couple of weeks but are no closer to a deal.

They would not take him if his sole aim was a chance to play 7s for Australia at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics or a 2015 World Cup berth. They would need a two-year guarantee from O'Connor and would not tolerate excessive salary demands.

Senior players are likely to be consulted before any deal.

Foley said retention of current players was a priority.

He expects lock Sam Wykes to be fit for Saturday's clash with the Bulls at nib Stadium. Full-back Jayden Hayward could also be back. Bulls second-rower Flip van der Merwe will go before a judiciary later this week after being cited for allegedly punching or striking Waratahs prop Paddy Ryan on Saturday.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...of-the-puzzle/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Hopefully we can keep the majority of the squad. CTM needs some more game time to see if he is ready for super rugby before another deal is struck

vCash
    "More than two dozen players coming off contract this season" More than 24 players coming off contract - surely that can't be right, can it????

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    "More than two dozen players coming off contract this season" More than 24 players coming off contract - surely that can't be right, can it????
    Have a look: http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=32765

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    I count 16, including Ollie. That's not "more than two dozen"!!

Of those whose contracts do end this season, I can't see many of those names wanting to leave of their own accord?? Sias may well be in Meyer's sights but with the "70% black" rule they have in place, he may not be able to have him!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    His form has sparked interest in South Africa, with reports Springboks coach Heyneke Meyer has been monitoring him.
    I don't think Meyer is necessarily "that" interested in Sias... sounds like he possibly wants the option.

Wales / Gatland did the same with his current wingers North and Cuthbert a few years back. They were both English born, so Gatland had the forethought to snag them both early

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I count 16, including Ollie. That's not "more than two dozen"!!

Its from Australian media. Of course it isn't accurate.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDS View Post
    I don't think Meyer is necessarily "that" interested in Sias... sounds like he possibly wants the option.

Wales / Gatland did the same with his current wingers North and Cuthbert a few years back. They were both English born, so Gatland had the forethought to snag them both early
    yeah but is he the type to do a deans and give him a cap (Harris) to lock him into being a bok? and ruin his chances of paying for the Wallabies?

vCash
    I hope the ARU will allow us to extend Alby's contract, and I hope Foles is onto extending Sias' contract so he can keep playing with the Force and become eligible to play for the Wallabies (if his form is good enough).
    This will be key for player retention in the squad.

Champion
    vCash
    It probably means the 24 plus takes into account all the wider group as well.
    And the SA govt has backed down from 60 per cent to 50 percent under the "black rule"

vCash
    IMHO the need to retain Alby is massively linked to whether we want Sias. If we can't have Alby I don't think Sias is as big a priority, so Od be looking to finish the Alby deal before the Sias deal.

If we can't have Alby I'd be looking to sort out which Nine is the best fit for Zack.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Alby's style of play makes him a good fit for the team at present. Based on this I believe that every effort, favour and support that Rugby WA can garner from the ARU should be utilised to extend his contract. Apart from that he wants to stay and in my book that is extremely important factor.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    the thing is, how much longer will they let him sign for, if at all?

can we give him a 3 year deal? or will it be another 2

vCash
    Alby has been great for us and I hope WA has been great for him too. Let's hope we have some quality negotiators in the admin ranks to stitch up a good deal with the ARU.

vCash
    When the AFL and NRL first made moves to restrict where players could be employed they were ruled a restraint of trade. The AFL players association decided not to contest the draft for the good of the game. The NRL chose not to persue a draft system. I wonder if denying a player who is legally in the country, and has an employer eager to continue to employ him, could also be a restraint of trade.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast