Thread: The Next Ben Smith ... ?!!

vCash

The Next Ben Smith ... ?!!

I saw a few little glimpses of his attacking flare and vision on Friday. Dane sure does remind me of Highlanders and ABs Wing/Centre/Fullback, Ben Smith of a years back. Dane must be starting in all remaining games to assist in the Force achieving the much needed bonus points required along with wins to nudge the finals.

I also predict Dane to progress along similar lines as Smith and my dark-horse to make the Wallabies this year or next if given the desired game time and pill to go along with it.

Profile:

Dane Haylett-Petty, another local Western Australian player, returns to the Western Force in 2014, where he began his Super Rugby career six years ago. The powerful winger played three seasons with the Force, accumulating 12 caps for the Western Australian club, before taking up a contract with French club Biarritz in 2010. After three seasons with the French club, Haylett-Petty accepted a contract with Japanese club, Toyota Shokki Shuttles and will join the Western Australian club following the completion of their season. Haylett-Petty was a member of the Australian Sevens side during the 2008/2009 IRB Sevens World Series and featured prominently for the Australian Under 20 side in their IRB Junior World Championship in 2008 and 2009, including starting at fullback in their 2009 semi-final loss to South Africa.

Timeline

Selected in the Western Australian state side for the National Championships; selected in the Australian ‘A’ Schoolboys; selected in the Australian Sevens.

Signs with the Western Force, playing three matches; represents Australia at the IRB Junior World Championships where they finish fifth, scoring a record four-try haul against Canada; selected in the Australian Sevens

Plays one match with the Western Force; selected again in the Australian IRB Junior World Championship squad, finishing fourth.

Plays eight matches with the Western Force and scores his first try against the Hurricanes; signs with French club, Biarritz

Plays with French club Biarritz, finishing fifth in the Top 14 competition

Plays with French club Biarritz, finishing ninth in the Top 14 competition

Selected in the Western Force side that is defeated by the British & Irish Lions, 17-69; plays with Japanese club, Toyota Shokki Shuttles; signs with the Western Force for one season.

http://www.westernforce.com.au/Team/...il.aspx?pid=95

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    are you his father?

vCash
    The problem with giving Dane enough game time to fulfill his potential is Luke Morahan and Jayden Hayward. When those boys are fit, they will replace him, no question.

Dane will get game time when the back three are injured, but not before. Hopefully the extended free run Paddy Dellit has had in the back three is over now, as he doesn't seem to be performing.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    are you his father?
    Luke, I am your father....

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Luke, I am your father....
    But who is your Daddy?

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Mate I hope you're right.

Agree with Gigs. If Badger / Mozza / Jayden are fit and available they HAVE to start. Need a solid back 3.

DHP can get game time when any of those 3 come off.

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    that's not a bad long term backline. with DHP, CTM, Brache fighting for bench spots.
    depends on the Badger's next contract though. if he signs long term we may not keep them all

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    that's not a bad long term backline. with DHP, CTM, Brache fighting for bench spots.
    depends on the Badger's next contract though. if he signs long term we may not keep them all
    Yep, the question re Dane is where he sits in that bench calculation. I'm not convinced he's currently even number 1 on that list, and certainly Foles doesn't think so either, with Marcel winning spots more easily. I reckon he needs to fight his way into number one on this list while he has the opportunity and become the number 1 bench pick before we start looking at starting regularly.

C'mon the

vCash
    This year is much more competitive for positions. It didn't seem in the last couple of years that any of the back line felt under threat if they had a mediocre game.

We all know the starting back line was wrong in the first couple of games. It wasn't until Sias & JH came on in the Brumbies game & decided to have a crack that things started turning around. Badger is Badger, Hayward is improving every game, especially position ally. & Mozza is a class act in attack & defence. I still can't believe the Reds let him go. They're undoubtedly the top back 3 when available.

Zack needs time to settle. To come back home & have a heap of pressure on you to perform as the local savior must have been crippling. It's great that Sias has taken his opportunity, in turn taking the pressure off Zack.

Prior has A LOT to live up to. Alby is one of the most savvy 9's on the planet. As a case in point; I don't think Prior would have had the nous to milk the obstruction penalty that cancelled out Cam Crawford's try in the Tahs game.

It's overwhelmingly evident that CTM has bought in to the competitive regime. He's only had about 10 mins game time, but players & fans are talking about his effort. But, has he got the goods? We need to find out

I like Brache, solid defensively, big engine and heart. What does he offer in attack that Junior doesn't?. Must admit so far I haven't seen the Reds of Chiefs games in their entirety, so I may be talking out of my arse.

DHP has been solid, but hasn't set the world alight, so at least deserves his bench spot. He shows potential.

.... Taxi for Dellit!

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDS View Post
    This year is much more competitive for positions. It didn't seem in the last couple of years that any of the back line felt under threat if they had a mediocre game.
    They Didn't, Paddy Dellit has been a fixture in our back 3 for a while, we're all talking about cutting him loose now!

Zack needs time to settle. To come back home & have a heap of pressure on you to perform as the local savior must have been crippling. It's great that Sias has taken his opportunity, in turn taking the pressure off Zack.
    See prior

Prior has A LOT to live up to. Alby is one of the most savvy 9's on the planet. As a case in point; I don't think Prior would have had the nous to milk the obstruction penalty that cancelled out Cam Crawford's try in the Tahs game.
    True, but Alby is a finite proposition, where Prior is a long-term option. I would be training Prior and Zack to be our next 9-10 pairing and possibly even naming them as a pair if there is an injury requiring one of them to start.

I like Brache, solid defensively, big engine and heart. What does he offer in attack that Junior doesn't?. Must admit so far I haven't seen the Reds of Chiefs games in their entirety, so I may be talking out of my arse.
    Junior came of age in the chiefs game and confirmed that against the Reds. Until then he was timid and, as a result, mediocre. Something happened to make him realize that he can play at this level and he definitely showed he has game. He's quite a bit bigger than Marcel (I understand that can be fixed, but sometimes comes at a cost) and plays with a bit more penetration in attack. Now that he's playing to his potential, Junior is the unquestioned best 13 in the squad. Quite inspired coaching from the Force really, because he didn't look the goods for much of last season.

It's overwhelmingly evident that CTM has bought in to the competitive regime. He's only had about 10 mins game time, but players & fans are talking about his effort. But, has he got the goods? We need to find out
    CTM has been hugely enthusiastic since getting some game time, he has the same advantages over Marcel that Junior has, but he is definitely working his arse off to get game time. That's valuable in and of itself, keeping pressure on the starters and the bench players to work to keep their spot. I predict it will only take one bad game from Brache to see their positions swap and CTM have a crack at 13. That is interestingly opposite to Brynard Stander, who would probably walk into the starting team anywhere in Australai (except maybe Sydney) and isn't looking a chance of being anywhere near a starting jersey without injuries (go Gus!)
    .... Taxi for Dellit!
    Hear hear

C'mon the

vCash
    true, but the hype was all about him being our Sonny Bill at the end of 2012 so it's high time he lived up to his expectations; or became his own player

his enthusiasm and work ethic on the park from what we have seen of him is a massive turnaround from what we saw in the game. Even though realistically we cant take that game into account because we were always going to get schooled