Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Cummins Hat-Trick Leads Force to Win Over Waratahs

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Cummins Hat-Trick Leads Force to Win Over Waratahs

Three tries to winger Nick ‘The Honey Badger’ Cummins has extended the Western Force’s winning streak to five matches following the 28-16 win over the Waratahs at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium) tonight.

In front of a roaring 14,281-strong ‘Sea of Blue’, the home side built the win on a rock wall defensive line with Cummins capitalising on the limited possession the Force received during the match.

Starved of possession throughout the first term, the Force held a narrow 13-9 lead at the break, with Cummins crossing for two of his three tries in the second half to extend the final margin to 12 points.

The win lengthens the Force’s most consecutive wins in the club’s history (5) and resulted in the club’s first victory over the Waratahs in Perth.

Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley said his team was “phenomenal” and “showed a lot of character” in its ability to turn around the 43-21 loss in their opening round match against the Waratahs.

“I think the thing we learned over the first two games – and we had it reiterated to us when [former West Coast Eagles coach] John Worsfold came and spoke to us before the Highlanders game – was momentum won’t always be your way but you have to hold each other accountable at those times so you can capitalise on it when it does come your way.

“We lived on the sniff of an oily rag to some extent tonight and when the opportunities came we pounced on them and that was a real credit to our guys. They kept trying even though things weren’t coming our way and they showed a lot of character.

“What is being reinforced every week is the more effort we put into those sorts of games, the better results we’re getting. If you go back and look at the last five games, we found different ways to get results and that’s important for us.”

The massive NSW pack ensured the Waratahs started well, getting across the gain line and giving them momentum with Kurtley Beale adding two early penalties for a 6-0 lead.

While Sias Ebersohn piloted home a penalty attempt with one of the Force’s rare forays into the Waratahs’ half, it was Cummins who brought the crowd to its feet when he intercepted a Nick Phipps ball on the Western Australian goal line – after six minutes of sustained NSW pressure – to race the length of the field and touch down under the posts.

Ebersohn added the conversion and a late penalty goal, with Bernard Foley adding a NSW penalty goal of his own, allowing the Force to go to the break with a 13-9 lead.

The visitors started the second half with momentum – just as they’d begun the first, with winger Cam Crawford seemingly crossing for the Tahs’ first try after six minutes, only to be called back after the TMO deemed Force scrumhalf Alby Mathewson was impeded in his attempt to tackle Crawford.

Mathewson led the response four minutes later when he found space around the ruck at the 40-metre mark, and linked with a flying Cummins, who crossed in the corner for his second and an 18-9 lead.

Eleven minutes later Cummins added his third when he swooped on a loose Waratahs pass to race three-quarters of the field and slipped out of tackles from Crawford and Jono Lance to score. Ebersohn added the sideline conversion to give his side a 25-9 lead.

Not to be outdone, Beale crossed for the Tahs’ first try of the evening when he found space down the left-hand side to cross in the corner.

While Bernard Foley also landed the sideline conversion attempt, a late Ebersohn penalty put the result beyond doubt and allowed the Force to take the 12-point win.

The Force travels to Melbourne next week to take on the Melbourne Rebels at AAMI Park on Good Friday (18 April).

2014 Asteron Life Super Rugby – Week Nine
    Saturday, 12 April 2014 at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium), Perth
    Kick-off: 5.40pm

Western Force 28 (Nick Cummins 3 tries; Sias Ebersohn 2/3 conversion, 3/3 penalties) defeated NSW Waratahs 16 (Kurtley Beale tries; Bernard Foley 1/1 conversions, 1/1 penalty; Kurtley Beale 2/3 penalties).

Western Force:
    1. Pek Cowan, 2. Nathan Charles, 3. Kieran Longbottom, 4. Sam Wykes, 5. Wilhelm Steenkamp, 6. Angus Cottrell, 7. Matt Hodgson (c), 8. Ben McCalman, 9. Alby Mathewson, 10. Sias Ebersohn, 11. Nick Cummins, 12. Kyle Godwin, 13. Marcel Brache, 14. Luke Morahan, 15. Dane Haylett-Petty. Res: 16. Heath Tessmann, 17. Tetera Faulkner, 18. Ollie Hoskins, 19. Adam Coleman, 20. Brynard Stander, 21. Ian Prior, 22. Zack Holmes, 23. Chris Tuatara-Morrison.
    Coach: Michael Foley

NSW Waratahs:
    1. Benn Robinson, 2. Tatafu Polota Nau, 3. Sekope Kepu, 4.Will Skelton, 5. Kane Douglas, 6. Jacques Potgieter, 7. Michael Hooper, 8. Dave Dennis (c), 9. Nick Phipps, 10. Bernard Foley, 11. Rob Horne, 12. Kurtley Beale, 13. Adam Ashley-Cooper, 14. Cam Crawford, 15. Jono Lance. Res: 16. Tolu Latu, 17. Jeremy Tilse, 18. Paddy Ryan, 19. Tala Gray, 20. Stephen Hoiles, 21. Pat McCutcheon, 22. Brendan McKibbin, 23. Matt Carraro.
    Coach: Michael Cheika

Yellow Cards: Nil
    Red Cards: Nil
    Referee: Angus Gardner

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Fa b tast I c result. But I think we'll be counting the cost in injuries. Wykes looked sore, Alby was not happy. And I worry about the Badger as it looked like he too was limping post game

vCash
    The win was on the back of heroic and ferocious tackling from the pack.
    Cummins first try was moments after one of the great hits from Angus Cottrell 1m from the line on a flying Potgeiter.
    We took a few casualties. Might stretch us a bit

Controversy corner

vCash
    I am just one very happy happy fan cant wait to see the next game Well down boys cant pick a stand out player.. What a team effort you make player voting easy all get 10s

Champion
    vCash
    Amazing stuff! Well done force! Injuries are a worry. Anyway know what happened to Hayward?

vCash
    Hey Growden! How you going to slag off the "masters of minimalist Rugby" this week? The Foley method works when he's given free reign to coach and has a squad of men who will carry it out. Don't bother looking for a humble pie to eat. Just make yourself a big sh!t sandwich and choke it down.

15 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Amazing stuff! Well done force! Injuries are a worry. Anyway know what happened to Hayward?
    I don't know for sure but some one said his Mrs was having a bub

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    That was enjoyable - very enjoyable! Good to see the team coming over to say hello in numbers!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    http://img.skysports.com/14/04/402x2...14_3119429.jpg

Should send this to sanzar as I think the tackle is a bit high Ref must have missed this one like all the others

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Hey Growden! How you going to slag off the "masters of minimalist Rugby" this week? The Foley method works when he's given free reign to coach and has a squad of men who will carry it out. Don't bother looking for a humble pie to eat. Just make yourself a big sh!t sandwich and choke it down.
    I'm not sure why you boys get so emotional about Growden. He's a fat fark who has no idea. It is what it is

5 in a row........so much WIN

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    That was enjoyable - very enjoyable! Good to see the team coming over to say hello in numbers!
    They owe us

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkar View Post
    http://img.skysports.com/14/04/402x2...14_3119429.jpg

Should send this to sanzar as I think the tackle is a bit high Ref must have missed this one like all the others
    I wonder if BC Iron should pay extra for sponsoring HB?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    A win built on defence!... Ended up watching it on foxsports and the usual biased commentary ... The injury toll looks like it could be high for next week, but 5 in a row, we can't complain.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    I'm not sure why you boys get so emotional about Growden. He's a fat fark who has no idea. It is what it is

5 in a row........so much WIN
    I don't. The f@ckhead makes it so obvious that he lurks thus site so I'm just enjoying the opportunity to give him some shit.
    Back to the important stuff. Cummins deservedly got MOM. But the skipper played out of his skin again. That penalty he won 10 from time was a momentum stopper and he was running on fumes by then.The pigs were all great again but a special mention for Cottrell. He has Wallaby written all over him.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Someone on the Roar said DHP had played the entire match for Cotts this afternoon before getting the call-up for tonight. Good work, young man!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast