Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Forceful Kiwi ready to switch allegiances

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Forceful Kiwi ready to switch allegiances

AAP
    Jim Morton
    April 7, 2014, 9:14 am

Western Force match-winner Jayden Hayward is the latest Kiwi set to switch allegiances and aim for a Wallabies jersey.

Taranaki-born Hayward has been a revelation for the Force since crossing the Tasman last year and highlighted his worth with a superb individual try to steal a 32-29 upset over Queensland on Saturday night.

Currently in the second year of a three-year qualifying period as a foreign development player, the converted fullback is keen to remain in Perth and play for Australia after the 2015 World Cup.

"I'd love to stay here," Hayward told AAP.

"Everybody wants to play international rugby and if the opportunity arises then I wouldn't say no."

Hayward isn't the only New Zealand fullback revelling in Australia, with Melbourne Rebels import Jason Woodward already in the sights of Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie.

Woodward's Rebels teammates Scott Fuglistaller and Toby Smith are also on the radar while Mike Harris has already played 10 Tests thanks to an Aussie-born grandmother.

Neither Hayward not Woodward would get a look-in past Israel Folau at No.15 but the selection landscape will be different in 2016 when a number of Wallabies head overseas.

Hayward also has versatility, gaining his first 24 Super Rugby caps as a fringe centre in the Highlanders (2009-10) and Hurricanes (2011-12) backlines.

It was only a punt by Force coach Michael Foley, who had lured the 27-year-old west, to play him at fullback that his career has flourished.

Foley particularly rates the unflappable back highly for his smarts and reliability under pressure which see him take the right options from No.15.

Hayward has also become somewhat of a lucky charm for the resurrected Force.

His first start at fullback saw him star in a major upset of the Crusaders last season, while his return this year has sparked the Force's attack.

Hayward had been overlooked for Luke Morahan for the round one loss to NSW, but their season has been transformed since he was injected in the second half (at 24-0 down) of the second-round loss to the Brumbies.

The fullback and South African import Sias Ebersohn led a late rally in the 27-14 loss, and they haven't looked back since with four straight wins.

"Sias and I came on at halftime and we just said `look mate, let's just have a crack we have nothing to lose'," he said.

"As a team, we had to look at each other in the eye and get a few truths because we knew we were better than that."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...h-allegiances/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    what are the rules for eligibility?

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    3 year residency to qualify you cant have played test match rugby for any other nation or for a nation second ranked team eg the 7s u20 or Aus A each country must nominate one of those sides as their seconds team.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Currently in the second year of a three-year qualifying period as a foreign development player, the converted fullback is keen to remain in Perth and play for Australia after the 2015 World Cup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    what are the rules for eligibility?
    Three years

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    And he's a nice guy as well.

Senior Player
    vCash
    If we keep this up we will have a lot more guys in wallabies contention this season and perfect timing leading up to the World Cup next year.

Charles, Cottrell, Hodgo, McCalman, Godwin, Morahan, Cummins and Hayward. Plus one or two of the props. With injuries you never know when you might get a look in.

Veteran
    vCash
    i don't think cummins will get the call up this year, he has not shown much at all :-/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    i don't think cummins will get the call up this year, he has not shown much at all :-/
    i would agree. he is looking a bit slower and his defense and one on one tackling hasnt been the best.
    if i was him id work on that defense and re-invent himself as a 13.

vCash
    Rugby Heaven - Jim Morten - headline. "Jayden Hayden ready to switch allegiance"...........WTF!!!!
    What is it with these bloody journos?!

vCash
    Jim is referring to Jayden being a born Kiwi and looking for a Wallabies start come RWC 2015, nothing else

vCash
    I'm gonna be unpopular saying this, but I would prefer to NOT have born and bred New Zealanders in the Australian team. Accusations of prejudice and xenophobia may come my way, but if you're not good enough to be an All Black or a Springbok, then you're not good enough to be eligible for the Wallabies; we didn't win two World Cups before everyone else did, because we couldn't develop our own talent.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    "IF" that was the case in the past we would not have had these guys in the winning RWC squads

91 - Willie O (Tonga), Bobby Edgerton (PNG)

99 - Gregan (Zambia), Kefu (Tonga), Noriega (Argentina), Paull (NZ), Strauss (SA).

vCash
    All of those players were world class and would have walked into the All Black and Springbok squads of their day. I also can't see how Gregan, Egerton, Kefu, and Paul fit into this category, they were all Australian-raised and bred in the Australian rugby system. It's also very different to name a Zambian, Papuan and a Tongan, considering that making the national team for those countries would have been significantly easier than playing for Australia. Playing for Australia gave them the chance to compete for a world championship, unlike the countries of their birth; this is not the case for New Zealanders or South Africans.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I'm gonna be unpopular saying this, but I would prefer to NOT have born and bred New Zealanders in the Australian team. Accusations of prejudice and xenophobia may come my way, but if you're not good enough to be an All Black or a Springbok, then you're not good enough to be eligible for the Wallabies; we didn't win two World Cups before everyone else did, because we couldn't develop our own talent.
    Prejudiced Xenophobe, if he's the best eligible player for the position it doesn't matter a cracker whether he would make the AllBlacks. It only means that in that specific role our team is weaker than their team. Now it might not entirely seem like it at the moment, but there ARE positions where our team is stronger than their team, would you begrudge the players who are never going to get a shot at international rugby in those Positions the chance to take the easier route?

Surely also, that would mean that players who might be eligible for Australia shouldn't play for a lower tier nation (Adam Byrne for example) I think, as long as they satisfy the eligibility criteria and are good enough, they deserve a shot!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    All of those players were world class and would have walked into the All Black and Springbok squads of their day.... this is not the case for New Zealanders or South Africans.
    Pato Noriega and Tiaan Strauss don't fit either. Both played for their home countries first. IIRC I think Strauss actually captained the Bokke he then committed the ultimate sacrilege by playing for the Sharks in the NRL . Regulations have changed.
    Personally I'm more happy for the player to make up his own mind now than I was (not) back then. Pro era, pro outlook.

Last edited by shasta; 07-04-14 at 16:14.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast