Thread: Super expectations rise for in-form Force

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Super expectations rise for in-form Force

AAP
    Jim Morton
    April 6, 2014, 2:48 pm

Super Rugby's feel-good story of 2014, the Western Force, have shown they're the real deal - now they can prove they're genuine title contenders.

Their dramatic 32-29 comeback win over Queensland has pitched the Force into fifth place overall and set up a mouth-watering Saturday night home clash with NSW.

After four seasons in the bottom four, and having won four four games in 2013, the No.4 is finally a celebrated one for the Perth surprise-packets.

Their fourth straight victory is their best winning streak in a nine-year history.

A fifth - combined with a desperate Reds' win over the second-placed Brumbies in another huge derby clash - would put the Force on top of the vastly-improved Australian conference almost halfway through one of the tightest competitions seen.

Force mentor Michael Foley rates the Waratahs up with the Sharks as the favourites for the title but his new side will take on his old with renewed confidence at nib Stadium.

They were thumped 43-21 by NSW in round one and are determined to give a far better account of themselves at home.

"We weren't happy with the way we played them in the first game so we need to come out strong," said skipper Matt Hodgson, who refused to consider finals.

Hodgson, a leading light with back-row partner Ben McCalman, put their success down to a family-like bond.

"We have a belief in the group now that we can win those close ones," he said.

"There's no one player that's standing out. It's all 15 on the field.

"We don't see ourselves as a team, more like a family, and we're doing it for each other."

Despite the three-tries-to-two upset of the Reds, sealed with a solo try by Kiwi-born fullback Jayden Hayward after 16 phases, Foley saw plenty of room for improvement.

"We're thrilled to get the result but I don't think we played our best footy and we will have to step up to beat the Waratahs," he said.

NSW, set to have Israel Folau back from injury, fly back from Cape Town as just the second team this season to win across the Indian Ocean this year after grinding out a 22-11 win over the Stormers.

"The Force are on fire. It's going to be tough to try and halt that," NSW coach Michael Cheika admitted.

The result leaves just three points separating the Brumbies (21), Waratahs (20) and Force (18).

It's the first time three Australian sides have sat in the top five since the end of the 2002 season.

The Sharks (23) remain on top of the overall standings after their bye, six points clear of the next best South African side, while the Chiefs (20) extended their lead in the Kiwi conference.

The two-time defending champions stormed back from 34-10 down to draw 43-43 with the Cheetahs - their second amazing comeback draw in South Africa in a week.

The Crusaders gave their campaign some life with a rare 28-9 away win over the Lions in Johannesburg.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...in-form-force/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Apprentice
    vCash
    Lets not get ahead of ourselves - the team is playing very well, but I'm not sure about genuine title contender....yet. Willing to be proven wrong though (and hoping I'm wrong too)

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Let's hope all this positivity is an extra spur for the boys.
    From my side reading positive articles for a change is really uplifting. I hope it is for the Mighty Force.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    The Plonker who stated we shouldn't be in the comp,, and we would never amount to anything.. Eat your words PLONKER!!!

vCash
    Who sits on the western side of the ground? I've got a banner idea for you

WARNING! Michael Cheika punching zone!

C'mon the

vCash
    If we beat the tahs then I will consider that to be as good as a title!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Who sits on the western side of the ground? I've got a banner idea for you

WARNING! Michael Cheika punching zone!
    Or criss-cross the coache's box windows with duct tape.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    I contemplated that, but they'd be hard to get to and wouldn't show up on the tv.

Maybe a fragile sign on the inside of the door as a courtesy would be good. Maybe TIF knows somebody who can help us out.

Signs for the camera crews near the Tahs bench warning, abusive language may be used in this area.

C'mon the