Thread: The Force is with them

vCash

The Force is with them

It’s taken time but boys from the west show the Force is with them

Wayne Smith |
    The Australian|
    April 07, 201412:00AM

THE Waratahs literally made a spectacle of the Western Force when first they met this season but this time, Saturday night in Perth, it will be different.

Israel Folau scored the first of his three tries in only the second minute of play back on February 23 at Allianz Stadium, and even though the sun was shining brightly that afternoon, it was evident things were soon to turn gloomy for the team from the West.

The Force looked disorganised in defence, all too easily outflanked, and the Tahs didn't appear overly stressed in scoring six tries in a 45-21 thumping.

Still, there was something about the Force's scrappy grit that suggested they weren't doing themselves justice and if they could get their act together they might be capable of much better.

Matt Hodgson, now one full season out of the giant shadow of Nathan Sharpe, appeared to be developing into a inspirational captain, fellow flanker Angus Cotterell looked unrecognisably improved, No 8 Ben McCalman had a new maturity about his game, while young centre Kyle Godwin offered not much on the maturity front but a whole heap of zest and zip everywhere else.

None of that surfaced the following weekend in Perth in the first half against the Brumbies. It was a rout, 24-0 at the break.

None of the defensive shortcomings exposed by the Waratahs looked to have been addressed. But something happened in the second half. The Force finally settled into their patterns, nothing flashy, but solid.

It wasn't until an hour had elapsed that they made their first line break. Sias Ebersohn had come off the bench to relieve Zack Holmes at five-eighth and suddenly the home side looked threatening.

Fullback Jayden Hayward and McCalman crossed for tries in the final five minutes and while it was easy to dismiss these late scores as consolation prizes, the fact that the Force kept plugging away when all was lost spoke of a burgeoning warrior spirit.

Since then, the Force hasn't been beaten. Not by the Rebels, not by the Highlanders – despite having to defend against them with only 13 men at the death – not by the defending champions, the Chiefs, nor by the team that preceded them, the Reds.

Usually it sounds a little boastful when a winning coach claims his side didn't play anywhere near its best, but Michael Foley was only telling the truth after the Force dodged one final Quade Cooper bullet – a field-goal *attempt after the full-time siren – to beat Queensland 32-29 on Saturday night.

The fact was that they could have done a whole lot better, yet even their less-than-best was good enough to account for the Reds. That's ominous for the Reds but also ominous for the *Waratahs.

The evidence of the Brumbies' and Sharks' wins over the Tahs is that they can be flustered and thrown off their game by opponents who refused to be bullied and indeed are prepared to play the bully themselves and Foley insists the Force will be ready to rise to that physical challenge second time around against NSW.

It's a big ask. The Tahs monstered a Stormers pack equivalent in size to the Force, so the WA side will have to use its smarts as much as its muscle.

That's where a lock like Sam Wykes comes into the picture.

If it weren't for that dramatic peacock-like display on the top of his head, Wykes wouldn't naturally catch the eye.

His physical stats, 197cm, 111kg, read more like a blindside flanker's than a lock's, and in a sense that's how he plays the game, like he could easily be wearing six on his back.

He has a lot of touches in the course of a game, almost all of them useful. His ball sense is uncanny and for a biggish man, he bobs up in the right places an awful lot.

And while he might not hit quite as hard as Cotterell and McCalman, he'll make his contribution to the physicality Foley is demanding.

Let's not overlook Foley's astrophysics-defying role in causing the sun to rise in the West. He has in Perth what he never had in Sydney when he coached the Tahs – a receptive audience.

The fans don't doubt him, the media, while professionally sceptical, isn't intent on tearing him down but most of all he has a playing group at his disposal that doesn't think it knows better.

He is now proving to the world what always was evident to those who worked closely with him, that he is a truly exceptional coach.

Difficult as it has been at times, he has always believed in himself. Now, at last, he's showing what is possible when others *believe in him as well.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Geez I'm loving all this positive press...

Especially enjoying them all giving Foles some love & starting to refute & rebut all that happened during his previous tenure.

Saturday's for the coach!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Wow, wow, wow! So nice to read something positive. Thank you Wayne Smith.
    Let see what the Pie man has to say! Having all of the FOXTEL crew grovelling was lovely but I didn't believe Marto for one second!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    He had to save face, he didn't mean it, Queensland has been smarting since 2006 when they lost all their promising fringe players through mismanagement, since then they have all done their best to destroy the Force, either through bad press or bad practices.

Karma!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDS View Post
    Geez I'm loving all this positive press...
    It's amazing what winning can do

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    For me the most interesting part about winning, will be in the attendance at home games for the rest of the season and if it impacts memberships

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    The most outstanding part of it for me is the composure shown on the field. Very reminiscent of the glory days for the Wallabies under John Eales.

vCash
    It is especially nice to see Michael Foley receive positive press after the poor treatment he got when at the Waratahs. I know that the Force got the better end of the deal when Cheika decided not to come.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    We were at the game on Saturday. Wow! I was surprised at how much cheering there wasn't when they called the Reds team over the mike at the start of the game. None! No clapping, screaming, flag waving. In fact the only time the Reds crowd really got noisy was at the end just before Quade missed his drop goal. I was really surprised that there was so little atmosphere at that game (nearly 37000) compared to our homes games. We really are the best Fans around. After the match we went to the front and had just about the whole Force team come to us. Lots of handshakes, hugs, photos etc. then over comes Foles. Gives me and Amy a hug, chatted with all of us. I had a Reds fan next to me. She said Wow even your Coach comes over and talks to you guys, doesn't happen here. Our team is so much more approachable. I'm so looking forward to Saturday vs the Tahs.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snusan View Post
    ...then over comes Foles. Gives me and Amy a hug, chatted with all of us. I had a Reds fan next to me. She said Wow even your Coach comes over and talks to you guys, doesn't happen here...
    Brain Dead Dick strikes again

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

vCash
    Reminds me of a comment I heard over the Sports Ears at a game a couple of years ago. The ref had called for some water and said to the water-boy "Is this place always so noisy?"

The water-boy replied "Nah, it's quiet in tonight!"

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Bring home the WIN boys P L E A S E

We are the Sea of Blue...