Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Force Defeat Reds to Win Record 4 in a Row

vCash
    Highlights for those interested

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    Can you paste the whole story in? Being asked to subscribe for Premium content to view article...
    There you go fellas

Western Force to keep kicking when they’re winning
    WAYNE SMITH THE AUSTRALIAN APRIL 01, 2014 12:00AM

Force to kick when they’re winning

CURRENT Western Force coach Michael Foley was laughed out of Sydney in 2012 when, as the then Waratahs coach, he argued that NSW needed to kick more in order to play the running game, but events this season are proving him correct.

Foley's rationale was that by having the Tahs kick more, opposition sides would be forced to drop both wingers back in defence to help the fullback deal with the barrage. That meant the Tahs would then be confronted by only 12 defenders in the frontline, which should make it easier for them to attack.

It is, incidentally, the same rationale that has helped the All Blacks become not just the most successful Test side in world rugby but the highest kicking side as well, averaging just under 30 kicks a match.

Ironically, Michael Cheika's determination to turn the Tahs into a ball-in-hand side has made it easier for opposing teams to stack their defensive lines and pummel them, as happened in Durban on the weekend. NSW kicked only 10 times against the Sharks. That played into Jake White's hands, with the Sharks subjecting the Tahs to their worst physical battering of the season.

The Waratahs also turned in a low-kicking game — putting the ball to boot only 22 times — when they suffered their only other defeat of the season, to the Brumbies. By contrast, the Force has kicked the ball 100 times in its past three matches in racking up impressive victories over the Rebels — when they kicked 44 times — Highlanders and Chiefs.

Yet despite, or as is now finally becoming apparent, because of this, they have outscored the opposition 10 tries to four.

And now Queensland Reds coach Richard Graham, Foley's predecessor as Force coach, expects the Perth side to bring the same tactics to Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night where the visitors will be attempting to win a fourth straight match for the first time in the club's nine-year history.

“The Force play very little rugby out of their own half, a very strong field position game,” said Graham.

The Reds, who still dine out on their reputation as entertainers though even under Ewen McKenzie they curbed the exuberance of their 2011 banner season, kicked 35 times in their win over the Stormers on Saturday, which given the fact their opponents have the fastest line speed of any defence in the competition, was about the right mix, in Graham's opinion.

“The thing is about getting a balance between position and possession,” he said. “The best teams in the competition use their kicking games to get that effect.”

The stat that most pleases Graham is the one that reads 14.3 — the number of penalties Queensland now concedes per match. Following their controlled display against the Stormers, the Reds are now no longer the most penalised side in Super Rugby.

That position is occupied by the Tahs.

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Highlights for those interested
    Cheers Jargs. The IT Nazi offshore on my vessel cannot block YouTube clips when linked through another site. The bandwidth sucks though, took me 16 minutes to load up the clip!

My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw Haywards try. The way I read it on the text highlights I thought he was only a few metres out when he scored.

Great decision making. Titanium canastas to get yourself in position & then back yourself that far out at the death, shows incredible self belief. He's impressing the sh!t outta me this year.

vCash
    I'm waiting for the youtube appearance of the full-match vs the Reds, all our other victories from this season have been downloaded off youtube in full-match form for prosperity.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Did the HB miss a bit in defence too, or am I being too harsh???!!

;-D
    Fair comment Alison....

Yes he has been found wanting - and not only in this game.

His impact has been minimal and inconsistent - particularly for a Wallaby.

I'd rather see more focus on his game and less on his interviews.

If the Force is going to reach the potential outcomes for this year HB needs to lift!!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Have to say I agree Andrew - needs to concentrate a bit less on the showbiz and more on the game perhaps. Wonder if Foles would ever consider dropping him? Might give him the jolt he needs. Give Stubbsy a crack at the jersey.

vCash
    I think the Badger just has to concentrate on the game and not on the press etc. and get back that hunger. Maybe with Link here this week that may be that little bit of extra motivation, not that he should need it. IMO it was really this week against the Reds that he looked out of sorts. Other games he's been protecting his wing but also coming in looking for work but also quickly getting back into position.
    A couple of steaks coming his way this weekend, I hope.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Have to say I agree Andrew - needs to concentrate a bit less on the showbiz and more on the game perhaps. Wonder if Foles would ever consider dropping him? Might give him the jolt he needs. Give Stubbsy a crack at the jersey.
    Agree. Would like to see Foles unleash Stubbsy and his big hits on Beale and Co in the second half.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Actually, with Rasolea falling I was wondering whether it might be time to give him his shot at 13 on the understanding that he will hit the ball moving hard and fast...

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    That's an interesting idea!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    should have tried it in a preseason game

vCash
    When is DHP slated to be back?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDS View Post
    My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I saw Haywards try. The way I read it on the text highlights I thought he was only a few metres out when he scored.

Great decision making. Titanium canastas to get yourself in position & then back yourself that far out at the death, shows incredible self belief. He's impressing the sh!t outta me this year.
    Absolutely WFDS, I just watched a replay and my jaw hit the ground after watching him make that try. Nothing was going to stop him scoring that, not even Genia hanging off his ankle for the last couple of meters.

Go The Force!

vCash
    Yeah, I agree. What's so good is, even at the 78/79 minute, we were in control, patient and more likely to grind out the win. Hayden steps up with the belief and scores. That's the difference this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullback View Post
    Absolutely WFDS, I just watched a replay and my jaw hit the ground after watching him make that try. Nothing was going to stop him scoring that, not even Genia hanging off his ankle for the last couple of meters.
    Says to me that he wants to win it for HIS team.

It may not be good enough to make him a Wallaby.... but that try will go down in Force history! Well on his way to realising his full potential. I love it when we recruit someone who shows promise & we get the best out of them. Great advertisment to potential talent who um and ah about making the switch to us.

Bit part S14 & ITM player to S15 game breaker!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast