Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Worst Possible News

vCash

Worst Possible News

According to radio reports Alex McKinnon and his family have today been told he will be a quadriplegic. I'm gutted.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    You don't want to see that stuff to happen to any player in any form of contact sport.

Gutted for the poor kid

vCash
    dam, talk about worst case scenarios.
    gutted is absolutely right. there's not really any words

vCash
    That is truly dreadful for him and his family. I cannot begin to imagine how he is coping with that news.

Maybe RugbyWA and NIB will allow us to do a collection for him at our next home game? What do you think Darren and TIF?

vCash
    Wow. So sad!

vCash
    This is terrible news.

vCash
    Such sad news, poor guy. From reading the article it looks like his club is going to do the right thing and support him through this tough transition and rehabilitation.

vCash
    Terrible, terrible. Just feel gutted that it could happen to anyone in any of our codes and there is nothing that can be done to stop these terrible accidents. I feel for him, his family and the poor guys involved in the tackle.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    ......I feel for him, his family and the poor guys involved in the tackle.
    Yes. Especially the young bloke who has been charged for lifting. I hope the authorities keep his well being in mind and the offense in perspective. There's worse tackles almost every week that don't even earn a penalty. Just a terrible accident.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Really dreadful accident - and I feel for the poor guys who were in the tackle! I have a close kiwi girlfriend who was a Commonwealth Games cyclist, triathlete, ski instructor and windsurfer who suffered the same injury a few years ago in a snowboarding accident and with 2 young kids and a farm to run it was pretty devastating and lifechanging to go through. Although she's a fighter no doubt it's a long long long road of rehab to learn to cope in your life with everyday things such as just sitting up in bed even. And it's also a tough fight with depression. We take so much for granted that can get taken away in a split second (aka our mate in the car accident), so I really hope he has a good family and friend support system because this is when you need them the most! Fight hard Alex.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Maybe RugbyWA and NIB will allow us to do a collection for him at our next home game? What do you think Darren and TIF?
    I think it's a great idea ... in theory. However there are so many told, and untold tragedies that picking one above all others is almost an impossibility. As terrible as this news is, I'm sure Alex is being looked after by the Knights and the NRL.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    I cannot imagine what he is going through, and he will need alot of support, as he family too. Like everyone has said, the guys that were involved in the tackle must be devastated, a terrible accident.. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone concerned..

vCash
    Hopefully a glimmer of hope...

The Newcastle Knights have condemned a media report that claimed Alex McKinnon has been diagnosed as quadriplegic, saying it's still too early to ascertain how much movement he will regain.

The NRL club released on a statement on Tuesday saying uncertainty remained about the extent of the young second rower's recovery from the serious spinal injury suffered in a tackle last Monday and there had been no new developments.

"While Alex's condition continues to improve, his body is in the first phase of recovery," it said.

"As previously shared, he has movement in his right arm and the uncertainty remains in the extent of further recovery.

"The doctors explained any regeneration and recovery could be up to two years.

"The club is extremely disappointed in the sensationalised television news story on Monday night about this tragic situation.

"One of the most important factors for Alex at this time is hope, which was jeopardised by this report."

Read more: http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8823432

vCash
    Sadly the NRL has not kept the sanction in perspective and given the young bloke 7 weeks. I was not aware, but they now have policy where the outcome of the injury is loaded on the penalty. How do you equate such a serious injury to 7 weeks? FFS! If they want to draw a line in the sand, fair enough, but the penalty should be split bteween the two others who pinned his arms in the wrestle and the bloke who lifted. Plus a much heavier penalty to the people who coach the PTB wrestling tactics.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Sadly the NRL has not kept the sanction in perspective and given the young bloke 7 weeks. I was not aware, but they now have policy where the outcome of the injury is loaded on the penalty. How do you equate such a serious injury to 7 weeks? FFS! If they want to draw a line in the sand, fair enough, but the penalty should be split bteween the two others who pinned his arms in the wrestle and the bloke who lifted. Plus a much heavier penalty to the people who coach the PTB wrestling tactics.
    agreed. 3 people in the tackle, they should all cop something.

From http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-0...weeks/5362892:

"Ghabar also argued that McLean never lifted McKinnon much beyond horizontal - and certainly not vertical - and that "significant downward force" from the other two players in the tackle, Storm brothers Jesse and Kenny Bromwich, played as much part.

But prosecutor Kite successfully contended that while the Bromwich brothers undoubtedly contributed to the tackle gone wrong, "substantial responsibility for the lift was borne by player McLean".

Kite said there was no suggestion McLean intended to lift McKinnon, but that he was certainly careless - and largely to blame."

Then there is this bit: "Ghabar expressed deep sympathy for McKinnon and his family, but insisted with respect that the Knights youngster "unfortunately and unwittingly" contributed to his injury by "tucking his head into his chest" before hitting the ground." In self defence classes I was taught to tuck my head under to minimise damage. Don't blame Alex because he is trying to do the same!

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast