Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force must do without Madness

Champion
    vCash

Force must do without Madness

Nick Taylor The West Australian
    March 24, 2014, 6:53 am

The Force are thriving under Foley and captain Matt Hodgson, who crossed for two tries.
    They refused to be dominated by the bigger and star-studded Chiefs and did not allow them to dictate the pace of the game. Their own intensity showed how far they have come in the last three games.
    That's what we like to read.

The stunning 18-15 Western Force ambush of reigning champions Chiefs has been soured by the loss of tough Wallabies back-rower Hugh McMeniman for several weeks after breaking his left collarbone.

There was better news for the resurgent club with feisty scrum-half Alby Mathewson available for the clash with the Queensland Reds in two weeks after receiving a one-game ban for stamping.

Prop Kieran Longbottom has been cleared of serious injury after being carried from nib Stadium on a stretcher on Saturday night with a neck injury.

McMeniman was injured in the 30th minute of the shock win but played out the rest of the first half on "one shoulder", according to coach Michael Foley.

The man they call Madness had returned from a neck injury sustained in round two against the Brumbies and had major shoulder surgery in the pre-season.

Mathewson was cited by the game commissioner for stomping Chiefs back-rower Sam Cane in the third minute of the match.

The suspension will be served this weekend as the Force have a bye and players will be available for local clubs.

Longbottom was hit by a knee late in the second half but the 16,400 crowd was relieved when he gave the thumbs up as he was taken off the ground.

The Force are equal sixth with the Bulls and only points difference out of a finals berth after earning three straight wins for the second time in their history.

The shell-shocked Chiefs were kept try-less in Australia for the first time since 2001.
    The Force are thriving under Foley and captain Matt Hodgson, who crossed for two tries.

They refused to be dominated by the bigger and star-studded Chiefs and did not allow them to dictate the pace of the game. Their own intensity showed how far they have come in the last three games.

Foley said his players now had belief in themselves.

"Last year we had a lot of good performances but couldn't quite close things out," he said.

"Now they can get to the point in the game where they can finish over the top of opposition."

The Chiefs made errors because of Force pressure and coach Dave Rennie couldn't believe his side led 9-8 at the break.

"They did a pretty good job on us," he said. "They've got a lot of character."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Don't you guys think that, in the spirit of the game, and out of a sense of fairness, Alby should stand down until he has actually served his one game suspension, instead on weaselling out on a semantic technicality?

(Ducks)

vCash
    Wouldn't that be like a lawyer getting a client off on a legal technicality and then advising him to offer to change his plea and go to jail anyway?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Don't you guys think that, in the spirit of the game, and out of a sense of fairness, Alby should stand down until he has actually served his one game suspension, instead on weaselling out on a semantic technicality?

(Ducks)
    Fulvio cited by TWF Allegiance Commissioner for being a knob - can get away with a one year ban for copping an early guilty plea!!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

vCash
    Perhaps, if he had actually been suspended for one game.
    But he wasn't.

Try harder.

vCash
    So I take it you don't agree?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I had assumed the fact we have a bye next up was taken into consideration when handing down a one week suspension?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash

(Ducks)
    I'll just quote Alby for that one

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Fulvio cited by TWF Allegiance Commissioner for being a knob
    not effective timbo, Fulv will count that as a man-crush

vCash
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Timbo, cleverly disguised as a door, had his knob pulled.

Or was that Tonto?

vCash
    (Ducks)
    Where?! Where?!
    I've got a shotgun! Is it duck season or wabbit season?

vCash
    So I take it you don't agree?
    With what? Your flawed initial premise? No.

If he had been served a 1 match ban and had somehow avoided it then it would be a different story. Like a drink driver being granted an "E" license.

vCash

(Ducks)
    I would say no, as I don't think Alby did anything wrong. IMO, he didn't stamp on Cane or rake him with his studs - he stood on him, as I believe he's entitled to to get to the ball when a player is lying there blatently obstructing it*, and when the ref said something like "No, 9", he got off immediately. The only thing Alby did wrong was pointing out to the ref that the player was lying on the wrong side of the ruck with his boots.

[* My knowledge of the laws of the rugby may be at variance to yours, and even the refs. In fact they frequently seem to be! ]

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    I may need to duck for cover as well then.

Suspensions in "weeks" and not "matches" are stupid. To say that any player can serve a suspension on a bye week is ridiculous

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I may need to duck for cover as well then.

Suspensions in "weeks" and not "matches" are stupid. To say that any player can serve a suspension on a bye week is ridiculous
    IT is mostly because of the northern hemisphere, where they play in a number of different competitions/countries. here it is not so bad, but i guess it is more a international standard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast