TOBY ROBSON AND RICHARD KNOWLER
Last updated 15:18 24/03/2014

Much of what happened on the night two All Blacks took sleeping pills during the 2011 Rugby World Cup is likely to remain a mystery with both Cory Jane and Israel Dagg admitting they can't remember a thing.

Speaking to media today, Jane said the situation had been unintentional and the pair had never sought to use sleeping pills to get high, or even planned to go out of the team hotel that night.

Dagg agreed, saying it was ''a oncer, that's for sure''.

''I don't know where the idea came from,'' said Dagg.

''Boys are going to boys and just try these things. It is not the brightest thing to do but we did it and we are paying for it.''

Jane and Dagg hit headlines during the tournament when they were seen out on what was reported to be a ''boozy'' night in Takapuna just days before the All Blacks' quarterfinal against Argentina.

It emerged last week the pair had also been under the influence of sleeping pills, but Jane said today he wanted to make it clear there was no intentional substance abuse.

''I can tell you exactly what happened. We finished a massage and took two sleeping pills just to go back to the room to go to sleep, but we figured we needed to get something to eat and went to dinner and then they kicked in,'' he said.

''There was no mixing with energy drinks, no thought of going to the pub and drinking and partying. We had a big training the next day so we happened to go out quickly to get something to eat and they kicked in and we were on autopilot.''

Jane said he woke up in the morning thinking he had returned to his room and gone to sleep and had been shocked to learn later in the day what had happened.

''I woke up the next day, went to training, had a good training, and then got told afterwards we'd gone out. I didn't even know we'd gone out. All I remember is getting something for dinner then waking up the next morning.

''So when people say 'why were we stupid enough to go out there and get on the juice a few days before an important final,' we can say we didn't plan to go out.

''We just made the mistake of taking the sleeping pills and instead of taking them when we were jumping in bed we quickly tried to get something to eat and that was that.''

The incident had been ''embarrassing'' and ''scary''.

''Yep, and I learned my lesson. It's never good having your name put up in the paper for being a boozer or doing something stupid especially in the World Cup ahead of one of the biggest game's we had to play.

''It's scary not knowing I did anything that night, waking up thinking I had a brilliant sleep, that's scary.

''If I had to tell people I'd say 'don't do it'. If you are going to take sleeping pills jump in bed. I guess it's similar to alcohol and that sort of stuff, people abuse it and it can back fire on you.''

Dagg was also apologetic today.

''We are learning from it, we have had three years to learn from that mistake,'' said Dag..

''It's not something I condone. Mixing serious drugs with things out there is not very bright. I would just like to apologise from what we did.''

Jane said he had not heard of any rugby players using sleeping pills as a recreational drug or of anyone having a similar experience to his.

''I haven't heard it happening to other people. There have been rumours a few of the leaguies [rugby league players] have done it but I can't tell you, I wouldn't have a clue. I know two and a half years ago I did it and regret it.

''If I could have that night again I would have had them when I was in bed to have a decent sleep.''

Jane denied the players could access large quantities of prescription drugs.

''The only way you get sleeping pills from the team doctor is if you go on long haul flights and you need to acclimatise or you might have had bad sleep and have a big training the next day.

''The doc might give you one so you can have a good night's sleep... they don't just throw them out willy-nilly and I think they record when they give them to you, so you can't just walk in and say can I have a bunch?''

Jane said he had subsequently used sleeping pills correctly, but did not use them when the Hurricanes travelled to South Africa this year.

''For sleep yes, for going out no.''

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/a...drug-use-scary