Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Super Rugby referees panel set for change

vCash
    I thought the reffing was fairly consistent last night, but that doesn't mean I thought it was good.

A couple of concerns.

The Chiefs were consistently playing on the wrong side of the ruck, Entering (reasonably) correctly on the edge of the gate and then driving the defender on the side around and into the back of the ruck where he would get dumped on our ball....everything OK and legal so far, but they would then continue to push in from the side, using it as a deliberate tactic to get on our side of the ball and bugger up our ability to play with clean ball. Van Der Merwe pretty much ignored the cleanliness of the breakdown ball, so there wasn't much good complaining, as we got as good as we were given.

The one which concerned me was the penalty for a high tackle early in the first half, I think it was Willie, contact around the neck, the Chiefs player back slammed a bit, no complaints with that, but in the second half Kyle Godwin gets tackled in a virtually identical fashion in the open field and nothing. I would have been OK with both being called or both being let go, but get the bloody call right and repeat it, it aint that hard!

Breakdown was a mess all night and that was due to the reffing. (although that might be a point in our favour)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    I can remember the leather studs tacked on with nails but wooden studs, never heard of them.Just how old are you Snob
    http://www.rugbyrelics.com/museum/ex...antas/boot.htm
    Not saying these were identical, mine were high tops, up over the ankle.
    Underneath that cap was a wooden stud. If like most kids in those days you put your boots on at home and walked to the ground I suppose it didn't last long. You can also see the nails that were used and I'm sure you can imagine what happened if one of them was not in cleanly.
    I spoke with my Mum today to find out when I started playing rugby and found out it was 1961 but we weren't allowed boots in the first year. I discovered to day Mum tried to get me dropped/ pulled from rugby after I broke my wrist, nose and a few fingers all in the first year! Much to her disgust I played until I was 45 and the body gave up!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SNOB; 24-03-14 at 00:15.
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullback View Post
    I heard, a not five and a not straight on two separate Force lineouts and 1 or 2 offside calls against Blue. Sure I could have miss heard a player through the refs microphone, but it sounded to calm, crisp and clear as most transmissions between the Refs and Assistant Refs. O well, I still think it was a scratchy performance from Lourens van der Merwe, but by no way the worst from a Ref
    I heard an assistant tell the ref to keep an eye on Pek's binding after one scrum, and the ref said something like "no, the bind I'm happy with, but keep an eye on the Chiefs supporting their weight at the bind." He even pinged them a couple of times for it, much to their confusion.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    I heard an assistant tell the ref to keep an eye on Pek's binding after one scrum, and the ref said something like "no, the bind I'm happy with, but keep an eye on the Chiefs supporting their weight at the bind." He even pinged them a couple of times for it, much to their confusion.
    I do remember the 'not 5' call so I stand corrected again (who needs a physio)
    The refs this week were, I think, told to look at the new zealand team leaning into the scrums after the 'bind' call but before the 'set' call.
    They would shuffle their feet back on the 'bind' call reducing the effectiveness of the 'set' for the opposing scrum.
    This was his call regarding 'not supporting your weight' and the chiefs knew exactly what they were doing.

as they did when they repeatedly (after half time) came around the edge of the ruck to lift the force player searching for the ball off the back of the ruck.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post

as they did when they repeatedly (after half time) came around the edge of the ruck to lift the force player searching for the ball off the back of the ruck.
    Chiefs #12

Champion
    vCash
    Lourens van der Merwe, cut from the refereeing roster

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2wrtueFlf

vCash
    I'd like to know the reasons behind Vanderbilt Merwe's axing, is it because he missed a whole bunch of obvious breakdown penalties which would have seen the Force win by more or was it because SANZAR needed a sacrificial lamb to stop the incessant bleating of an NZ media who can't seem to accept that their teams can be beaten on a rugby pitch.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    ..... stop the incessant bleating of an NZ media who can't seem to accept that their teams can be beaten on a rugby pitch.
    What! NZ teams can be beaten on a rugby pitch? What is this? Opposite Land? Bizarro World?
    Everyone knows you can't beat a NZ rugby team (unless they're the Highlanders because no one likes the Highlanders in NZ)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I'd like to know the reasons behind Vanderbilt Merwe's axing, is it because he missed a whole bunch of obvious breakdown penalties which would have seen the Force win by more or was it because SANZAR needed a sacrificial lamb to stop the incessant bleating of an NZ media who can't seem to accept that their teams can be beaten on a rugby pitch.
    This is not a piss-take GIGS; but have you got a reference or links for that? Not the ref being cut, but the whining. Reason being that the couple of NZ articles I've seen were refreshingly positive on the Force and basically blamed the Chiefs themselves for the defeat.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3