Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is Alby allowed to stay ???

vCash
    Is it possible to qualify for another Tier 1 nation under IRB rules?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    I do believe so Jargs, it's the countries themselves that stop it and I also believe that us and NZ are the only one's who do so.

I do stand to be corrected though as the rules seem to change a lot on this front.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Is it possible to qualify for another Tier 1 nation under IRB rules?
    Nope. Each country decides who can play in their competitions, so the ARU could certainly allow anyone they like to play in SR. But test eligibility is set by IRB regulations and playing for more than one country specifically precluded across the board.

vCash
    Its the ARU who set the rules when it comes to Marquee players.

However the IRB set the rules about qualification. (this is how the aru make their decision on players eligibility)

A player can only play for 1 country when it comes to test.

Once a player has played test match rugby for any nation he will never be able to then play for another country at any level.

Nations are also required to nominate a second tier side eg Australia A, Sevens or Under 20's. If a player plays in a country’s nominated second tier team he is then also locked in to that country for life.

Steenkamp is in this position he played for the SA second ranked team the Emerging Springboks so he will never be able to play for another country.

Players who haven’t played test match rugby or represented a nation’s second tier team can qualify through a 3 year residency (IRB RULES) which is what all our Development contracted players are doing and what Henry Speight has been doing to try and play for the Wallabies.

This hasn’t always been the case as before the game went pro players were able to play for more than 1 country if there met some qualification requirements.

The ARu makes ruling on players based on their Eligibility which is defined by the IRB which is why a player like Luke Ball who has strong roots to Australia and the Force will never be able to sign here unless as a marquee player.

Similar thing happened to the Rebels during the 2011 RWC. Adam Bynes was selected to play for Russia through his parents lineage. As he had never played test match rugby nor played for a second tier team he was able to do so. But this caused an issue with the Rebels and the ARU even though he was an Australian with a contract at the Rebels they had to remove him from their main list and relist him as marquee player.
    In a way it’s a shame that the IRB are so strict with the rules look at someone like Radiki Samo. He played 1 test match in 2003 (I think it was 2003) and then never got selected again until 2011.

He could have played 50 test in that time for Fiji but he had been lock in to Australia.

I think they should relax the rules for second tier nation where if you have played for a team like the All Blacks or England you could still play for a team like Fiji or Russia if you qualify. However it shouldn’t go the other way eg from Samoa to Australia as the top teams would just pick the best talent and qualify them.

It’s just away to help development these nations.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Yep, I hear he would very much like to stay. I think he and his wife and son all love it here :-)

I agree with you TIF - silly to apply the marquee rules when he won't play for the ABs again.
    Didn't realise he was married..I was going to suggest getting him fixed up with a lovely WA lady.. LOL!! Sorry Mrs Alby..

vCash
    Haha Hertryk :-D Definitely married! To a Kiwi!

Maybe if they agreed to allow their son to qualify for Australia one day....???!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    he is never going to play for All Blacks again

I just heard him scream from my place

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    or Under 20's.
    Not quite sure on that one. Some teams have nominated the U20s as their second senior sides, but I haven't seen anywhere in the IRB that specifically states that this representation locks a player into any given country.

Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    In a way it’s a shame that the IRB are so strict with the rules look at someone like Radiki Samo. He played 1 test match in 2003 (I think it was 2003) and then never got selected again until 2011.

He could have played 50 test in that time for Fiji but he had been lock in to Australia.
    That was Radike's choice. He could've been anything, but didn't make the most of his talent and then went off overseas.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Albys wife IS from Perth Hertryk.

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    Looking at this video Alby met his wife when at high school so I don't think she's from Perth...

Veteran
    vCash
    Yeah, there was someone who met there wife in Perth, can't remember a, the story, or b, who it was....

Useful I know

vCash
    I think it might have been Jayden Hayward.

vCash
    And Hodgo met his wife in Perth too. I've met Alby's wife and can assure you she is from NZ, not Perth ;-D

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF1964 View Post
    I think it might have been Jayden Hayward.
    He did meet her here and she's a Brazilian personal trainer but I don't really notice her much not

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

vCash
    She is lovely isn't she WM?! About to give birth to their first baby too :-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast