Ben McCalman cited after Highlander's game

March 15, 2014
    JUDICIAL: Ben McCalman cited
    Ben McCalman cited

Player: Ben McCalman
    Team: Force
    Position: Number 8
    Date of Incident: 15 March 2014
    Nature of Offence: Law 10.4 (j) Lifting a player from the ground and dropping or driving that player into the ground whilst that player's feet are still off the ground such that the player's head and/or upper body come into contact with the ground is dangerous play.
    Elapsed time in match when incident occurred: 73rd minute

MEDIA RELEASE

Ben McCalman of the Force has been cited for alleged foul play during a Super Rugby match at the weekend.

McCalman is alleged to have contravened Law 10.4 (j) Lifting Tackle when he tackled Highlanders' prop Kane Hames during the match between the Highlanders and Force at Forsyth Barr Stadium in Dunedin on Saturday 15 March 2014.

The referee for the match, Glen Jackson, issued a yellow card for the tackle which occurred in the 73rd minute.

Upon further review of the match footage the Citing Commissioner deemed in his opinion the incident had met the red card threshold for foul play.

The Citing is to be considered in the first instance by SANZAR Duty Judicial Officer Nicholas Davidson QC.

All SANZAR disciplinary matters are in the first instance referred to a Duty Judicial Officer hearing to provide the option of expediting the judicial process.

For a matter to be dispensed with at this hearing, the person appearing must plead guilty and accept the penalty offered by the DJO.

(Link: http://www.sanzarrugby.com/superrugb...ccalman-cited/)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Go The Force!

vCash
    Undoubtedly this is what the media will focus on to trash our Boys' win!
    We love you Benny and WE know it was not intentional!

vCash
    Benny Mac has definitely been our standout for several weeks and the best No 8 in Aus on current form, however, it was a undisciplined tackle and, unfortunately, I reckon he will get a spell as a result. At least we have Madness to fill the gap - let's hope it is a short spell at worst and that he comes back in the same great form. You are doing great Ben and keep up the great play for the rest of the season.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    Undoubtedly this is what the media will focus on to trash our Boys' win!
    We love you Benny and WE know it was not intentional!
    Sorry to rain on your parade Jo, but the law no longer pays heed to intent. He will miss some rugby, his good record and obviously shocked reaction might reduce the amount

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Sorry to rain on your parade Jo, but the law no longer pays heed to intent. He will miss some rugby, his good record and obviously shocked reaction might reduce the amount
    Even taking his good record, anything less than 3 weeks will be a bonus. I don't have an argument with that. On the plus side Madness should come in. I'd start Wykes on the bench, Gus Cottrell 6 and try Stander at 8.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'd be tempted to Move Cottrell to 8, McMeniman to 6, Wykes to the bench and Coleman in as a starter. We should be really targeting the Chiefs in the forwards, particularly the tight five.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I've just seen it for the first time. Definitely tipped him, but he landed on his arms. Didn't look too bad in slow mo. Fingers crossed they let it go just cause he's such a good bloke!! Haha. And he's in such good form too. Playing with real agro.

vCash
    Reckon the kiwi player deserved an Oscar for his performance - fell on his shoulder but grabbed his head like a wendyballer!

vCash
    Lol, ocean blue glasses again Flying 14?

He landed with his shoulders below his feet, that has been the standard for a few years now. It'll be lovely to consider that Ben might have enough credit to reduce his sentence, but it'll be a lottery no matter which way you look at it.

If the tribunal is held in Australia, by an impartial commissioner we might be lucky to escape with only a couple, but somebody with an axe to grind might rub him out for six.

Hopefully we have an international commissioner, because an Aussie one will look at it as a way of saving Cliffy Palu's birthright-given wallabies jersey.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Reckon the kiwi player deserved an Oscar for his performance - fell on his shoulder but grabbed his head like a wendyballer!
    Watched the replay to look out for that moment. What a frikkin drama queen! They must be laughing their arses off at that performance! I had to laugh at the media running over & patting him on the ribs - can just lip read the dialogue: ........I'm ok - jest mulkin ut a bet tu git the pinilty bro! Jes play along wid it bro - gotta git hem sint orff! Make it look bed bro!"

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Valzac couldn't agree more that was pure Hollywood.
    I said at the time he landed on his arms etc then the next minute he's holding his neck as though he was a casualty.
    Not good sportsman ship in my mind.
    Milking penalties is starting to become the norm in RU which really pisses me off but saying which this weekend I saw two examples of good sportsmanship were guys said to the ref "not a try" before the ref even went upstairs.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Valzac couldn't agree more that was pure Hollywood.
    I said at the time he landed on his arms etc then the next minute he's holding his neck as though he was a casualty.
    Not good sportsman ship in my mind.
    Milking penalties is starting to become the norm in RU which really pisses me off...
    We need to start citing playacting in rugby. As the game grows internationally, especially with the Olympics, this shit is gonna snowball if we don't set its ethics in stone now.

Cricket has managed to expand internationally and yet still keep running off deflected overthrows and mankadding out of their game; so therefore we can keep soccer-theatrics out of ours.

Last edited by chibi; 17-03-14 at 14:40.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Doesn't matter a jot how he fell/landed, or how he acted when he landed. Before he fell and landed, was he tipped in the tackle?

That's the only thing the judiciary need to know.

Story ends.

(I haven't seen the game yet, so can't answer specifically; my effing TV went on the blink before I could wacth...)

vCash
    I agree with you as far as the judiciary is concerned, you are right. But the story doesn't end there if playacting becomes part of the culture of our game, citing players for this behaviour now is a good early preventative measure.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Doesn't matter a jot how he fell/landed, or how he acted when he landed. Before he fell and landed, was he tipped in the tackle? That's the only thing the judiciary need to know. Story ends. (I haven't seen the game yet, so can't answer specifically; my effing TV went on the blink before I could wacth...)
    Here it is. 1.18.33 As you say, definitely a spear tackle - end of story. Illegal and he'll get suspended.

I'm with chibi. The guys head never hit the ground but he lies there for ages holding his head like he's concussed and the medics come on etc. Disgrace.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast