Thread: FORCE UNCHANGED TO FRONT HIGHLANDERS

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

FORCE UNCHANGED TO FRONT HIGHLANDERS

WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Thursday, 13 March 2014

The Western Force has maintained an unchanged squad to tackle the Highlanders at Dunedin’s Forsyth Barr Stadium on Saturday (15 March).

The Force will run out the identical 23-man line-up that defeated the Melbourne Rebels 32-7 in Perth last weekend.

It is the first time the Force has named the same squad in consecutive weeks since its Round 15 win over the Highlanders in 2013.

Winger Luke Morahan is in line to play his 50th Asteron Life Super Rugby match, after joining the Force from the Queensland Reds this season. The express-paced outside back – who forms a back three with Wallabies winger Nick Cummins and former Highlanders back, Jayden Hayward – crossed for his side’s second of four tries in the opening 27 minutes against the Rebels.

Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley says it’s important for his side to make another early statement against the Highlanders.

“Our focus was to start the match strongly last weekend and it was pleasing to see the team do exactly that,” he said.

“Our second half execution wasn’t as precise. This week it’s important for us to back up with another strong start and look to improve on our execution into the second half.”

Matt Hodgson, who led the side out for his 100th Super Rugby cap last weekend, will again captain the side, packing down in the back row alongside in-form No.8 Ben McCalman and flanker Angus Cottrell, who crossed for his second Super Rugby try last weekend.

2014 Asteron Life Super Rugby – Week Five
    Highlanders v Western Force
    Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin
    Saturday, 15 March 2014
    Kick-off: 7.35pm (local)/2.35pm (AWST)

1. Pek Cowan
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Kieran Longbottom
    4. Sam Wykes
    5. Wilhelm Steenkamp
    6. Angus Cottrell
    7. Matt Hodgson (c)
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Alby Mathewson
    10. Sias Ebersohn
    11. Nick Cummins
    12. Kyle Godwin
    13. Junior Rasolea
    14. Luke Morahan
    15. Jayden Hayward

Reserves
    16. Heath Tessmann
    17. Tetera Faulkner
    18. Ollie Hoskins
    19. Adam Coleman
    20. Brynard Stander
    21. Ian Prior
    22. Zack Holmes
    23. Marcel Brache

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Congrats to Luke on his 50th cap! Very happy to see him reach that milestone in ocean blue :-D

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Western Force chasing the perfect game

Date: March 14 2014. Nathan Charles

If there is any lesson in sport these days, it's the importance of starting well.

Fortunately, this was something we managed to do last weekend against the Melbourne Rebels.

Ever since I arrived at the Western Force in 2010 I have been fortunate to have some very special moments.

I shared my debut game with Matt Hodgson in his 50th against the Stormers and our flyhalf, David Hill, kicked a drop goal after the siren to win our first game of the season in front of the Sea of Blue.

Later that year we beat the Crusaders for the first time in the club’s history. Last season, we made history by beating the Queensland Reds in Brisbane.

But our first half performance last weekend was right up there with the best 40 minutes I have been a part of at this club. The challenge now is to turn that half a game into a full, as we chase that perfect performance.

In saying that, as a team it was great to finally show what we are capable of. We had a simple game plan which allowed us to work hard as a team while getting the results we desired.

In our previous two encounters we didn't start well and when that happens in rugby you are constantly chasing the eight-ball, which results in players pushing passes and straying from the team structures.

While it’s great to be able to score tries, you need to put yourself in a position to do that and a focus for us has been clearing the ball out of our defensive end.

This was something we did quite well on the weekend and an aspect we are continuing to work hard on, as a 15-man unit.

There’s no doubt that being able to defend your own line, while confidently knowing that you will be able to work the ball up field, provides the team with a considerable mental edge.

We were ecstatic about the win and very pleased to be able to celebrate Hodgo’s 100th game in such a fashion, however, one win doesn't make a season.

Soon after the dust had settled at nib Stadium the other night, our focus quickly turned to the Highlanders, who have been very strong this year.

The Highlanders present many challenges – they have a great team with great depth, and in their last match, they led last year’s champions, the Chiefs, up until the death.

Their back row are strong ball carriers, they are hard on the ball and provide stiff competition at the breakdown. They have a great back three, led by fullback Ben Smith, who is electric with ball in hand and is a very smart footballer. As a team, they’re always a handful.

We have taken a lot out of our win against the Rebels but know that we’re only as good as our next performance.

Western Force will play The Highlanders on March 15, 2014 in Dunedin, New Zealand.

http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-unio...skin=text-only

vCash
    Lot of focus in the media this week about "starting well" They're putting a lot of pressure on themselves. Jamie Joseph will get his boys to throw everything at us in the first 20. Let's hope we can overcome that and dominate - on the score sheet especially!

vCash
    as long as we don't get to minute 79 and say "Right! Time to start! Let's do it well boys."

Win, lose or draw I really don't care that much (although I'd like a win) it's how we play the game that matters to me.

Lots of running, lots of mongrel at the breakdown, lots of hard tackles.
    Let’s make the Highlanders know they’ve played a game of rugby.
    Let’s make them say after the match “Thank Christ we don’t have to play the Force again.”
    Let’s play a game that makes the media, eastern states or otherwise, talk about how well the Force played.
    Let’s play a game that makes people regret not watching it.
    Let’s play a game that frightens the hell out of the Chiefs.
    Let’s play a game that makes the opposition write their wills before they meet us on the park.
    Let’s play a game that we’ll be happy to tell our grandchildren that we were there, we were a part of it.
    And then let’s do that every damn week.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Damn straight.

vCash
    Brilliant post MI5Dog!!

vCash
    Have we ever beaten them in Dunedin before? I think we have beaten them more often than anyone. But at least two were in Queenstown. Here's to giving Forsyth Barr a Force baptism of fire.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I think so. 2008 and 2010 were wins in Queenstown. I think 2011 was a win in Dunedin- think David Smith scored the match winning try.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash