Thread: Force urged to play it again and again

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force urged to play it again and again

The West Australian
    Nick Taylor The West Australian
    March 10, 2014, 7:30 am

Consistency and depth will be crucial for the Western Force as they travel to New Zealand today for their Super Rugby clash with the Highlanders in Dunedin on Saturday.

The Force banished their starting woes with a dominant first half in the 32-7 win over the Rebels on Saturday.

The win was the Force's first four-try bonus-point victory in 28 games and moved them off the bottom and into mid-table.

However, coach Michael Foley is determined to ensure his players remain focused for their first overseas trip this season.

"One win doesn't make a season, as one or two losses don't," Foley said. "Consistency was something we spoke about a lot during pre-season. We have got to make sure we take the things we did on Saturday and repeat them.

"We have got to go on the road again now and it's a big challenge.

"They (Highlanders) are coming off a bye, but we believe in the hard work that we've put in."

Foley may not have the depth of other Australian sides, but young second-rower Adam Coleman and local prop Ollie Hoskins made their mark. Coleman, in particular, was outstanding in his first appearance.

"We have an expectation that the guys who come on are not second choices," Foley said.

"We have had a lot of impact off the bench, a lot of high impact and energy.

"We still have a lot of guys that have not played a lot of football together.

"We'll persevere. We'll get better. That was a nice performance this early in the season.

"The first two weeks, unfortunately, we didn't get it right, but two games into a 16-game season there was nobody throwing out the baby with the bath water.

"We had to identify the things that we weren't doing well.

"We've got to keep working on those things.

"Our focus was very much on that first quarter. The boys went out there and worked hard.

"We've got to make sure we take the things we did (against the Rebels) and repeat them."

The Force have no serious injury problems going into the game at Forsyth Barr Stadium.

Foley hopes to strengthen the travelling squad with the return from injury of forwards Hugh McMeniman and Chris Alcock.

"We'll persevere. We'll get better. That was a nice performance this early in the season."" Force coach *Michael Foley *

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...ain-and-again/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Well it seems we are all singing from the same hymn book.
    The question is can Foley get the boys to walk the walk and not just talk the talk.

Being a Force 'fan' can be a bit like being in an abusive relationship. (It's a metaphore people don't criucify me over it)
    Sometimes I have to wonder why I keep coming back every week.
    Sure we get performances like we had on Saturday but that just makes the disappointment when they under-perform that much worse.
    I know what the boys can do, I know how much effort they can put in, I know they can perform and beat "better" teams, so why won't they stop kicking me in the balls like they did in the first two games of the year.
    The fans have been asked to put up with a hell of a lot over the last 9 years. We've had faith and we've had belief, but I'm sorry Foley, I've heard the "I'm sorry honey I didn't really mean it" speech too many times before to have any faith in it this time.
    I need actions not words.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The weekends game was 1st class, but as soon as the final hooter went I asked the question, So what will next week bring. There is nothing to say we won't see the same kind of play for the rest of the year. As a force supporter I will wait till we see it. Would love to be able to repeat Shaun's Commentary on the 4th try. I see it, I see it, but I don't believe it!!!! Bring it Force we all want to see it.

vCash
    Pretty sure all you long term fans had similar thoughts.....even up 32-0 with 20 minutes to go we were still saying to each other "we could still lose this couldn't we"

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Jesus guys, take the great win and keep positive. You almost sound like the poms with all this negative shit.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Just happy to be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer View Post
    Jesus guys, take the great win and keep positive. You almost sound like the poms with all this negative shit.
    How did you guess Enforcer

vCash
    No offense to you EnForcer (which is what people say to warn you they're about to be offensive) but you can stick it where the sun does not shine.
    Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.
    Or if you prefer, just because I'm pesimistic doesn't mean I don't have good reason to be.

vCash
    Too true Kipper - at the 70 min mark I started to realise that we can do this and that the bench were up to scratch and a Big W was going to be registered.. Well done the lads.

I just hope we can work on that for this week in NZ

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    it was about the 75th minute for me

vCash
    I have to say I was frightened to feel any elation until about 70th minute...and I thought they can't POSSIBLY come back with more than 4 converted tries in 10 minutes... Can They??? I said to Alison who was sat next to me .."the next 10 minutes are going to be longest in my life.." Sias missing two penalties did not help the anxiety either....
    Practice Sias...Please practice, practice, practice..!!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!