Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Michael Foley needs two or three wins in first eight weeks to save Force job

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    That's right Ecky, we re launched last year and we are re building this year. Enough is enough of that carry on, however, I think he is safe regardless of results at least until his contract ends. I think this story is a year premature. I expect that HQ have a longer term plan in mind that what TH or any other journo may have schemed.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    rebuilds don't happen overnight.
    but they do heppen

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    well lets be realistic, if the Western Force don't get a win or only win 1 game in the first 8 matches of the season then there are going to be people questioning Foley's coaching ability.... It really isn't such a crass statement to make...

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    If ANY coach has only one win in the first eight games,they would be under scrutiny

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I think a team can rebuild for up to two full seasons, maybe more. The real test is whether there is discernible improvement during that time. Last season we showed ability but no consistency and a lack of depth (in all positions, but particularly the backs) this season we would need to see significant improvements in all of those areas. Will that necessarily mean wins on the board......well no, not per se, but you would expect more wins from a team which is more consistent and where there is stronger competition for places.

I would be happy to write off another season on the ladder as long as I can see real, measurable improvement in the development of the team.

Don't know that I would be happy with a third season in the bottom half of the table still being called rebuilding though!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Tim Horan Logic: A third of all Super Rugby coaches should be sacked mid-season for underperformance.

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    We're in the next generation of professional rugby, so those that started in the dollars game now have little to fall back on; so take up coaching ... a whole new generation of coaches will come through with Super rugby experience (& yes only from a playing pespective).

They'll be no shortage of coaches to take over from those with records not equalling expectations ... has Mr Larkham has started well ?

vCash
    IMVERYHO we need to rise above these PLONKERS from the East Coast..just treat them with the contempt they deserve..

vCash
    Hope the boys are watching Rebels game on at the moment for some ideas on attitude in attack running and quick ball!

Champion
    vCash
    Agree the rebels are looking pretty good!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    yeah i think he has been doing a great job buiding the new rugby department but his coaching ability still has a massive question mark over it. And when i say REAL improvement im not talking about get a win here and there as giant killers i want us to be beating the teams we should be week in week out eg the Rebels Lions Cheetah Highlanders
    Bugger...we would have all preferred a better 2nd round showing against the "Tahs. Their seemed to be a lack of belief in self and others. Terrible to see the lack of urgency (ball off the post before half time) and leaving the corridor so unprotected. Lost count of the number of time that Cummo was left to cover 4 or 5-man overlaps out wide!!!

I hate losing to the Rebels as we've had better teams but our record against them is the pits. The two losses last year were shockers!! We'll have to be at our best to beat them in 2014 - based on their current form against the Cheetahs at home.

The old Lions were easy-beats but we still played badly against them. This years' Lions are no push-overs.
    Was extremely disappointing to give the Kings their first-game-win but on that day I recon they could have beaten anybody.

The Cheetahs finished in top 6 last year and had a great record on the road in 2013. Going to be a rough 4-week road trip for the Cheetahs if they don't re-group quickly!! Games against Reds, 'Canes & Blues!!

The Highlanders were poor performers, despite having a good roster last year. Everybody expected more.... They appear to be better this year with the 2nd round win against the Blues who rolled the 'Saders today.

IF the Western Force can improve on last year's 4 wins and play with some consistency then I'd be rapt

Share your frustration with past efforts GAFFA but the time of easy wins in Super XV rugby has gone.

vCash
    It's not just Horan. Grumbles Growden also said on EPSN that we'll be doing well if we get 4 wins, let alone 8. I would LOVE it if we could go back to them both at the end of the season and tell them to eat sh1t!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Foley is a good coach

We are lucky to have him. There was no disgrace last week. The Tahs will beat most teams this year if they keep that team on tthe field. On paper at least the tahs are worthy title contenders. The Force had no hard games in trials to prepare for that.

Coaching the Force is not high on anyone's agenda. We are lucky to have Foley. He needs a few years at least. He inherited an extremely poor squad and a team culture that was toxic.

Horan is an epic dribbler. He has real challenges intellectually. I was one of his greatest fans when considering his rugby ability but my opinion of him fades every time he opens his mouth.

Where did that sh1t come from? The Brumbies lost their first game and they were rubbish. Larkham isn't on the guillotine at rugby HQ

It would help of course if the Force won some games. That is the best way to silence the critics.

I believe we will beat the Brumbies this week

Dead set

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Controversy corner

vCash
    Anyone saying that Foley needs time to build the team need only look at the way in which the rebels played tonight. Just further makes me question foley and his coaching ability after seeing what TM has been able to achieve with a list much the same as ours and in just 1 preseason.

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GAFFA View Post
    Anyone saying that Foley needs time to build the team need only look at the way in which the rebels played tonight. Just further makes me question foley and his coaching ability after seeing what TM has been able to achieve with a list much the same as ours and in just 1 preseason.
    Well, 8 new players including some 60 odd international caps would have helped, but I do get your drift. If there isn't a significant turnaround this week proving last week to be a combination of first game dropsy and playing against the real Madrid of Aussie rugby I might start getting very depressed.

The rebels performance tonight has me a little worried, I must admit!

C'mon the

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast