Thread: Force No8 not too worried by flogging

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force No8 not too worried by flogging

February 25, 2014, 7:16 am

Forward Ben McCalman is confident the Western Force can return to their defensive best after leaking six tries in their 43-21 loss to the Waratahs on Sunday - the team's worst first-round result in nine seasons.

The Force are unlikely to make radical changes to the defensive system that served them so well last year but let them down in Sydney.

McCalman believes only a few adjustments are needed for Saturday night's game at nib Stadium when the Force meet former teammate David Pocock for his first game back in Perth after shifting to the Brumbies.

Though most of Sunday's statistics are hardly surprising - that being the Waratahs had more possession, overwhelming phases and metres gained - the Force had fewer turnovers and handling errors.

McCalman said they had taken positives out of the game and would turn the defence around.

"We're not too worried at the moment," the Wallabies No.8 said.

"We can turn the defence around. Last year our defence was the strength of our game.

"When we stick to our defensive structure and trust each other inside and out, it works.

"There is proof that it does work, it's just a matter of doing it for the whole time we are forced to defend.

"A few new players coming in, first round, maybe a few nerves. It's something we feel we can fix."

Force coach Michael Foley does not believe pre-season trials against weaker Samoa A and the Argentina Pampas - sides his own A team will play in the Pacific Cup - were an issue.

"It's certainly a step up (to Super Rugby) but we were happy with our preparation coming into the game," Foley said.

"We just didn't get it right on the day. You have to try and recognise what the key issues were.

"You have to be careful not to throw out the baby with the bathwater. You have to keep working on some of the things you think you can make your strength through the year."

Meanwhile, Queensland say they won't fall into the same trap as the Force and will deliberately keep the ball away from Israel Folau in Saturday night's grudge match against the Waratahs.

Scheming Reds halves Will Genia and Quade Cooper have both vowed not to kick to Wallabies teammate Folau, who scorched the Force for three tries.

"Out of every 10 contests he would win 10 of them," Genia said.

"When we stick to our defensive structure and trust each other inside and out, it works."" *Ben McCalman *

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...d-by-flogging/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    IMVERYVERYHO we need to work on EVERYTHING....missed tackles, keeping ones eye on the ball AT ALL TIMES, kicking (penalties, and conversions)..not the aimless kind... tighter in defence, mongrel attitude... BELIEF in your team mates that they WILL be where you expect them... need I go on REALLY!!! ???

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Those last two are the key for me Hertryk

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    After the Wallabies destroyed Ireland at the end of last year, who'd have thought that the Irish would have turned it on in big style against New Zealand?

One game is not enough to make sweeping decisions from. Particularly not the first game of the season. If the Brumbies game yields the same result, then you can call for the changes.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Apprentice
    vCash
    It is was the first game away from home against a team that will be in top 3 so we will see what happens this week.Please be patient folks they will do us proud.If you want a team that makes few mistakes you won't find one opps maybe the All Blacks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    It is was the first game away from home against a team that will be in top 3 so we will see what happens this week.Please be patient folks they will do us proud.If you want a team that makes few mistakes you won't find one opps maybe the All Blacks
    Who was the moron who instructed them, particularly in the first half, to kick it straight to Folou

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    I hope it wasn't the deciding factor for Hugh Mc to go back to Japan at end of the season :-(

vCash
    I was questioning that myself, but I read someone's theory that if you give him high balls with plenty of pressure thru a good chase, you actually tie him up and take him out of the attack for a phase or two.

Good in theory... but you still give the ball away, because he doesn't miss many (one, if i recall correctly).

vCash
    There was one (or maybe two) where he took the ball and a good, determined chase grassed him before he set himself, but is that worth the risk of a 50m breakout try being scored in the first two minutes?

On balance, the strategy was ineffective and one large reason why we were under so much pressure.

It's not like Holmes and Morahan are poor kickers either, they produced some wonderful nudges in the game (the penalty kick for touch from the 22 which crossed inside the 5 was a particular favourite) I think it's either a coaching problem (they're being told to persist with it) or an attitude problem (they're being told how dumb it is but for some reason keep doing it) the former is easier to fix!

C'mon the