Thread: O'Connor quits as Sevens rugby coach

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

O'Connor quits as Sevens rugby coach

Ben Horne

February 25, 2014, 5:00 am

Michael O'Connor has announced his resignation as Australia's Rugby Sevens head coach, but believes the team are well positioned to claim a medal at the 2016 Olympics.

The former dual international has been in charge of the Sevens since 2008 and led Australia to a silver medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi.

Australia are currently ranked fifth in the IRB Sevens, but O'Connor says the decision to step down was entirely his own call and the ARU tried to persuade him to change his mind.

In preparation for next year's qualification period for the sport's Olympic debut in Rio, the ARU in January changed the Sevens to a fulltime program based at Narrabeen on Sydney's northern beaches.

O'Connor is confident that increase in professionalism will quickly bring Australia up to speed with the likes of New Zealand and South Africa, however he said the shift was going to mean too much time away from his family in Queensland.

The 54-year-old felt he wouldn't have been doing his group of young players justice by staying in the role, with a Commonwealth Games in Glasgow later this year and the all-important Olympic qualifying period beginning in 2015.

O'Connor wanted to give his yet-to-be-appointed successor as much time as possible to settle in, but hopes to continue on with the ARU in a developmental capacity.

"I've thoroughly enjoyed coaching this team and basically it's a team of players I've put together," O'Connor told AAP.

"I would have loved to have followed through to 2016, but the reality is now the program is in Sydney fulltime, it's just too big a shift and too much time away.

"I felt as though I'd be letting the team down, not being down in Sydney 24/7.

"Now is the time to step aside."

O'Connor said the average age of the Australian team was 22, and they had been punching above their weight against rivals New Zealand, South Africa and England who are older and have been involved in centralised programs for several years.

He also said the advent of the Western Force and then the Melbourne Rebels in the Super Rugby competition had a major affect on player depth.

However, O'Connor said his side should be peaking at the time of the Olympics.

"We've had the youngest team in the IRB for the last five years but now we're able to hold onto them and we're contracting not just for one year but two and three years. For the first time collectively as a team we're over 100 caps," he said.

"We're catching up to other countries. You'll see big improvements for these boys in the next couple of years.

"Physically they've developed a lot. The team work is starting to come together, the game understanding and just living together (in Sydney) will make a massive difference.

"I've seen what it's done in South Africa and we've got very similar athletes. There's no reason why we can't enjoy that success as well."

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/spo...s-rugby-coach/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Sounds like something you should have posted in the "Stuff we can blame on the Force" thread.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Sounds like something you should have posted in the "Stuff we can blame on the Force" thread.
    Same - I almost spat out my weetbix when I read that paragraph about Force & Rebels....WTF?!?! QLDer still blaming the Force for taking all their players?!?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    Same - I almost spat out my weetbix when I read that paragraph about Force & Rebels....WTF?!?! QLDer still blaming the Force for taking all their players?!?!
    It's a reference to more players in Super Rugby squads meaning less players for the sevens program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    Not a Q'lander, born in Nowra NSW and played League for Manly...