Thread: Super Rugby needs innovation not saturation

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Super Rugby needs innovation not saturation

DUNCAN JOHNSTONE

Last updated 16:05 21/02/2014

OPINION: Sanzar must have something up their sleeves because the addition of a sixth South African and an Argentine team are hardly going to light up Super Rugby.

South Africa's claims to a sixth side must be about strong TV audiences at home because they have nothing to do with performance.

The republic has a strong history of producing wooden spoon teams - 13 in 18 years of this competition - and has no proof that it has the depth to justify expansion from within its ranks.

Have the murmurings of South African rugby's flirtations with time zone-friendly Europe had anything to do with appeasing them via an additional team?

And quite why have South Africa, New Zealand and Australia have been handed the job of helping Argentina rugby is more than a little bemusing.

Geographically it makes little sense and coming on top of the Puma's struggles with their three partners at test level over the past two years, the prospect of a competitive provincial side from Argentina looks unlikely unless they can prize some of their stars away from rich European clubs.

Sanzar may have been better to look a little closer to home. Surely, given their nfluence in New Zealand and Australian rugby, the Pacific Islands are a more natural fit?

As it stands, a 17-team tournament is in the pipeline from 2016 onwards with a new broadcasting deal to be struck next year.

The dynamics of that equation are a little baffling. Currently the Super 15 numbers are too difficult to involve all teams playing each other.

That's given a lopsided feel to a competition splintered into conferences of varying quality.

It's also quickly raised the ire of New Zealand players who have tired of playing Kiwi teams so often.

The public are probably feeling the same way.

If, as speculation suggests, the next chapter of Super Rugby may involve a trans-Tasman conference, audiences and players will just as quickly tire of endless Australian opposition, especially with the already saturated Bledisloe Cup market.

Could there be an 18th team in the works to give three conferences of six teams?

There has been talk of another New Zealand franchise but, again, our depth simply doesn't justify that. Already the New Zealand talent is spread too wide.

An Asian or Pacific team has greater appeal - Asia for financial and development purposes or the Pacific for talent alone.

So the statement from Sanzar bosses overnight has done nothing more than tease what the future will hold.

On a rugby calendar already stretched to splitting point and a championship already starting to show its age, the rugby brains need innovation not saturation.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    As it stands, a 17-team tournament is in the pipeline from 2016 onwards with a new broadcasting deal to be struck next year.
    I think it would be beneficial to Super Rugby to bring in two new teams from two different countries, this will allow an extra opportunity to sell TV broadcast rights. Wouldn't it be better to sell a broadcast package containing 5 broadcast deals instead of 4? (e.g.: Aus, NZ, SA, Argentina and Japan)

Last edited by Fullback; 21-02-14 at 15:58.
    Go The Force!

vCash
    I don't understand why he's complaining about us trying to help Argentina, why be insular? Wouldn't it benefit SANZAR to spread its influence in the face of European club imperialism? I thought we'd be beholden to help grow the game at the highest level, as Japan does for Asia and Argentina does for Latin America, at the mid-tier level. I mean, do we ignore them like the "Major 8 Nations" did to Romania or Canada and let them fade away off the map? Then he contradicts himself by talking about expansion of Super Rugby into the Asia-Pacific.

Article seems unfocussed, like an essay which can't settle on its point.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    How about this for innovation?

1) bye bye saffers
    2) Bledisloe Cup in Perth

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    How about this for innovation?

2) Bledisloe Cup in Perth
    Im sorry BnB - But I cant see there ever being a Bledisloe Cup Match in Perth.

1. First up why would the ARU give up on 85,000 Ticket Sales in Sydney at the Olympic Stadium. or 55,000 in ticket sales in Brisbane at Lang Park or 55,000 in Ticket sales in Melbourne at Docklands OR, 100,000 in Melbourne at the MCG.

2. The Time Zones are all wrong for the televised Prime Time Markets. A 7.30 kick off in Perth makes it 9.30 kickoff in Brisbane/Sydney and a 11.30 kickoff in New Zealand. considering the majority of the TV audience are on the otherside of the country or further why would they change it.

3. I could be wrong on this one - but I believe that there is like a 10 year contract with the ARU and the Olympic Stadium in Sydney for Bledisloes and there is about 8 years to go.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    What is the major stumbling block to Super Rugby in Australia? What effect does this have on Super Rugby and Rugby in Australia looking forward?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I believe it is both the right thing to do and "the right thing to do" to expand to Argentina, in fact I would have given them two teams.
    I also think SA should wait (6 is inevitable) and look to the massive potential (financial, player base and audience) of USA and Japan.
    PI is up there with Argentina morally, but seasonal support for a composite side compared to international one offs is questionable and individually they sadly just aren't viable.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    What is the major stumbling block to Super Rugby in Australia? What effect does this have on Super Rugby and Rugby in Australia looking forward?
    Our biggest problem in Australia is the lack of Free-To-Air TV coverage. Perhaps the ARU need to make demands of the TEST broadcaster that if they want the rights to show Rugby Union Test Matches then part of that deal is at the very least a weekly prime time highlights show of the SuperRugby and when that concludes, the NRC.

I also think that we need to start battling with Rugby League at a "Mindset" Level. Every League commentator, reporter and player all say the same thing, over and over ad nausea; "Rugby League is the greatest game in the world". All union commentators, reporters and columnists from David Campese to Tim Horan, Phil Kearns to Greg Growden do is criticize what is wrong with our game. Until we change that mindset we are always going to be on the back foot when it comes to competing with a sports that is played in 4 countries compared to the 100 countries that are attempting to qualify for the next Rugby World Cup.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Must...not...reply...to this post...RANT incoming....

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    Our biggest problem in Australia is the lack of Free-To-Air TV coverage. Perhaps the ARU need to make demands of the TEST broadcaster that if they want the rights to show Rugby Union Test Matches then part of that deal is at the very least a weekly prime time highlights show of the SuperRugby and when that concludes, the NRC.

I also think that we need to start battling with Rugby League at a "Mindset" Level. Every League commentator, reporter and player all say the same thing, over and over ad nausea; "Rugby League is the greatest game in the world". All union commentators, reporters and columnists from David Campese to Tim Horan, Phil Kearns to Greg Growden do is criticize what is wrong with our game. Until we change that mindset we are always going to be on the back foot when it comes to competing with a sports that is played in 4 countries compared to the 100 countries that are attempting to qualify for the next Rugby World Cup.
    Bingo on the first one. Most marketers know the value of free samples. Not Fox apparently.
    On the second point; more positve press would be nice. But the NSW /Qld market is what it is. I'd lay odds nearly all the blokes in your subbies club follow the Mungos. The trick is not to get into a pissing contest with RL or AFL but to put FTA Super Rugby live into the Saturday time slot when the Mungos are only on Fox. Promote a match-of-the week where the Oz teams play overseas teams to create a point of difference.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Further to the above; am just watching Offsiders on ABC. In a first they spent fully half the show analysing how Oz Rugby has ended up where it is. No replays available but for anyone interested its probably availavle on line.Worth a watch.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Was Wateley advocating dumping the Force as always?

vCash
    Didnt catch the lot but not from what I saw. Mainly discussed how they have missed being in the marketing game since RWC 2003.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player Contributor DarthMoose's Avatar
    vCash
    Just turned on channel One at 2230 to see what appears to be a super rugby highlights show. Saders/chiefs game highlights on now.

Edit: just got to the ad break. It is the Extra Time show that also appears on Fox on a Monday night I think.