Thread: The last time they clashed: Benji Marshall and Israel Folau's night of mayhem

vCash

The last time they clashed: Benji Marshall and Israel Folau's night of mayhem

WITH code-hoppers Benji Marshall and Israel Folau to clash tonight for the first time as rugby players, we thought we'd take a look at the last time these two superstars faced off.

Turns out it was one crazy night.

The rain was torrential. The referee was tackled by a fan. Benji was sinbinned. Izzy was knocked out. The Tigers were robbed. And coach Tim Sheens produced one of the great post-match sprays.

9,675 fans braved the cold and wet for the 2009 round 11 NRL clash between the Tigers and Broncos at Campbelltown Stadium.

And Tigers fans trudged home with far worse than a case of the sniffles after the home side were robbed of victory due to the controversial sinbinning of Marshall for stripping.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
    End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
    The decision sent fans into a frenzy, with one spectator arrested for crash tackling referee Jared Maxwell in an ugly aftermath to the match.

Tigers coach Tim Sheens then unleashed an almighty spray at the press conference, claiming he joined in the booing of the referees at full time.

"Let me say right from the start I am only here because I have to be," Sheens fired.

"I am not keen to talk."

"The crowd booed him (Maxwell) and so did I."

Adding more intrigue, Folau was concussed by a high tackle late in the game.

Let's hope tonight's trial clash between the Waratahs and Blues is just as big a hit.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/su...-1226820697868

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    What an odd way to generate some interest for a game of Rugby Union....

vCash
    What a load of bollox.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David