Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ben Mowen leaving Australia at the end of 2014

vCash

Ben Mowen leaving Australia at the end of 2014

09 Jan 2014

WALLABIES coach Ewen McKenzie has left the door open for Ben Mowen to return to the Wallabies after the captain's shock decision to quit Australian rugby at the end of the 2014 season.

The 29-year-old has decided to move to Europe, ruling him out of the 2015 World Cup. He is believed to be negotiating a deal in French club rugby.

Mowen had been installed as national skipper in his debut season for the Wallabies last year, replacing incumbent James Horwill.

The move will come as a massive blow for the Australian Rugby Union and Wallabies coach Ewen McKenzie, who said Mowen's loss will leave a hole in the squad.

"At this point in time he's the incumbent captain, been playing No.8 and is a very influential player," McKenzie told Fox Sports News.

"His expertise particularly around line-outs and some of those areas of the game, he brings a point of difference. You miss those sorts of things, so we need someone else to step up.

"I'm here watching (the Queensland Reds) train and there's a bunch of young players out there looking impressive.

"It's the cycle of sport. Players leave and players arrive."

McKenzie believes that age is on Mowen's side if he does decide to return to Australia, and would welcome him back into the Wallabies squad.

"I don't burn bridges. He and I go back a long way and we've had a very good relationship. You never say never with these sorts of things," he said.

"From an age perspective, no, there's no reason he can't come back to play rugby in Australia and play for Australia again."

McKenzie wasn't surprised by Mowen's announcement, revealing he had been in talks with the ARU for over six months.

"We've been talking about contracts for a long time, going back to June last year.

"He has accepted a one-year contract to stay, but beyond 2014 he's obviously had a different perspective but that's the way it is."

The Brumbies skipper reportedly wants to put his family first, and the heavy travel schedule involved in Super Rugby and with the Wallabies had him missing time with his wife Lauren and daughter Eleanor.

More here: http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-g...-1226797884322

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

vCash
    He's whining about spending 7 months away. I'm sure if he really wanted to he could go to the ARU and say "hey, do you mind if I pay for my family to come on parts of the tour and I pay for their accommodation & flights. Can I sleep in their room as opposed to the one you allocate me?"

News flash - people have ways worked away from home. He can't have to drive to make it work if he's pulling the pin after one season.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    There is something going on at Brumby land.

They almost win the Super 15 last year and suddenly before the new season kicks off they have lost their coach, CEO and now captain!!!!!

Imagine the news headlines if they were the Force

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    He's 29 and has decided to put family first - I'm fine with that. And if it is super top up money he wants on France then that's fine too.

It is going to hurt us though, he's a great player and an even better captain!!

He's done the right thing and given everyone plenty of notice, been up front to his team and coach(es) and didn't string anyone along with rumours in news papers!

Good luck to him!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    ARU should have given him a top up. Case closed.

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Stone Cold has it on the nose and so does Happy.
    The ARU are still dysfunctional!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    I see that in the light of Mowen's decision, Bob Dwyer is arguing for players playing overseas to be eligible for Wallaby selection.

Great idea for keeping the national team strong but unless we can match the salaries offered overseas, it would surely be the death knell for top tier rugby outside the rugby heartlands in NSW and Qld. Which State is Dwyer from?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Only real surprise is that he is effectively scratching himself out of the next World Cup. Suggests he feels the vultures circling, as well as he has been doing. If so, can't blame him if he took time by the forelock.

vCash
    I think we need a sub-contract and loan system. Players can take a pay increase to play on loan overseas for a defined period, but have to come back for Super Rugby to be eligible for the Wallabies.

Doubt it would work though, the way things are going in Europe at the moment.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    If a player of his caliber can get more money playing for some french club in Europe than playing as captain of the Brumbies in the super 15 (and be the Captain of the Wallabies for that matter) then there is something seriously wrong within the ARU and everyone involved with professional rugby in Australia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
    ARU should have given him a top up. Case closed.
    They can't....all their #8 top-up money goes to Palu!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    What happy and stonecold said

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    If a player of his caliber can get more money playing for some french club in Europe than playing as captain of the Brumbies in the super 15 (and be the Captain of the Wallabies for that matter) then there is something seriously wrong within the ARU and everyone involved with professional rugby in Australia.
    Nah, it's nothing to worry about really. It's just the bad luck that they have a population which grants them higher pay-TV and advertising money, multiplied by the exchange rate. It's nothing we're doing over here that's the problem. It's the same problem where large soccer clubs in smaller populated countries (like Sporting Lisbon, Benfica, Ajax, Porto, Anderlecht, Feyenoord) now can't compete with much smaller English clubs for the best players. Same deal for big competitions like the Mexican, Brazillian or Argentinian leagues, whose Pesos and Reals can't compete with Euros and Pounds.

That's why I'd like to see something like a loan system, so we can see our players earn something on the side like we used to when our cricketers and RL players would go over for the county-cricket season, or the old English rugby league season respectively.

I'd like to see that, but I don't think the clubs, being belligerent, would go for it. I don't think the iRB has the balls to enforce anything like that by setting up a conducive calender either. Their club season and our test seasons are too long. We miss out on old-school tours and challenge matches because of it. Wouldn't it be nice to see a star-studded Hong Kong Sevens once again, for example?

Ah, I'm probably just lamenting old rugby!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I think we need a sub-contract and loan system. Players can take a pay increase to play on loan overseas for a defined period, but have to come back for Super Rugby to be eligible for the Wallabies.

Doubt it would work though, the way things are going in Europe at the moment.
    Rocky was allowed too so what's the difference. Shame if we lose him as he's the best captain we have had since Eales. IMO.

May the FORCE be with you!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast