Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Has the haka had its day?

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    doesn't worry me one way nor another--however the Haka is a challenge,without doing it in front of your enemy/opponent would be totally meaningless

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Cian Healy certainly won't be on the invite list to any MENSA meetings

I would love to know what brain fade made him think that such a comment was necessary?

Hears a little suggestion to all of those from the Emerald Isle why don't you try and beat the blokes from the land of the long white cloud rather than worrying about a war cry.

If you are worried about it or think it gives someone an ''unfair'' advantage have a word with yourself all these profesional players need to have a look down the front of their shorts and see if they will find a pair of stones in their underpants.

If not feel free to put on a nice frilly skirt and play netball or perhaps a lovely game of lawn bowls or crouqet. Rugby is the greatest game on the planet for many reasons it's a tough hard game played at it's best when it's tough hard and uncompromising. The Haka is one of the most iconic things in world sport.

All this cobblers about an unfair advantage if you can't motivate yourself to play for your country in front of full stadiums playing a sport you love then seriously pack it in and let someone who is up to the job do the job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
    All this cobblers about an unfair advantage if you can't motivate yourself to play for your country in front of full stadiums playing a sport you love then seriously pack it in and let someone who is up to the job do the job.
    The only unfair advantage it gives is the opportunity for a little cardio warmup before the game, It's more the unreasonable expectation that other teams will put their culture in a drawer and start to warmly and lovingly celebrate the culture of their opponent....all whilst any culturally appropriate response (such as completely ignoring it and going on with your prep as an Aussie would do) is completely forbidden.

It's arrogance is what it is!

C'mon the

vCash
    Do like Michelle Jenneke; keep warm and loose while still 'standing' and respecting the haka. Admittedly, I'm not sure I want to see Kepu jumping around!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    Do like Michelle Jenneke; keep warm and loose while still 'standing' and respecting the haka. Admittedly, I'm not sure I want to see Kepu jumping around!
    He'd only have to throw his hip sideways once and inertia would take care of the rest...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile View Post
    As part of a Test Match - particularly the Bledisloe - I really enjoy the Haka. I love the tradition of it and what it represents.

I believe that if the Haka is to continue as a part of World Rugby than they should only be allowed to do the traditional Haka - Ka Mate.

Whilst the new Haka - Kapa O Pango as a spectacle is cool to watch, throat slitting gesture and all, as I understand it only brought out for special occasions or special opposition. I fail to see how a choreographed dance that was invented some 10 years ago is tradition.

I believe that the IRB and New Zealand need to get off their high horse and stop reacting to every response to the Haka. Every Nation should be able to have a right of reply to the Challenge that the Haka is.
    Spot on in my opinion

Especially in regards to the Kapa O Pango!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Spot on in my opinion

Especially in regards to the Kapa O Pango!
    Yes. Did you notice the Kiwi Mungos had invented another one as well? Complete with the throat slitting shit. Though that could have been to ask that the ensuing slaughter was compliant with ritual protocols.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Veteran
    vCash
    I like the kapo o panga (sp?) but i like the opposition returning the challenge, in one way or another, whether that means they walk forward towards the Haka, or whatever, but it needs to be good for the gander as well.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    let's face it .. if the haka worked they'd never lose a sporting event ever

good spectacle

let em go for it

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Can't really win as far as the haka is concerned. If you do nothing you are being disrespectful and responding to it in the wrong way. If you do too much you are being too aggressive and responding to it in the wrong way.

The New Zealanders will swear blind that you can respond however you like, however, they were the ones that pushed the IRB to designate 'zones' and fines for encroachment. Witness the match at millennium stadium where the kiwis threw their toys out of the pram because they were told they had to do it before the anthems so they did it inside their change rooms instead and complained that the WRU were disrespecting it.

The peruperu form of the haka of which the 'traditional' haka performed before a match was a form of is a method of intimidation before a battle. Yet the kiwis will tell you the throat slitting gestures et al are all metaphorical. It's sad that the IRB caved into their pressure because it reinforces the kiwi view that they deserve special status or treatment. As an administrative body it is incumbent upon the IRB to ensure, as much as it can, that there is a level playing field for all the nations involved.

If they do want to continue with that nonsense let them perform it when they play other nations which have a similar 'dance' and leave the others to sing their anthems and get on with it or, like when I was in NZ for the world cup, let the drunks in the street do it or trot it out for american tourists for $5NZ.

vCash
    I've always wanted to see the Wobblies take out a stack of deck chairs and then all sit down to watch the haka, giving the all blacks a great round of applause and a standing ovation when they've finished.
    this 'disarms' the haka making it a 'spectacle' and the aussies can give the IRB and NZRU a 'who me?! What did I do?' response.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hansie View Post
    Do it in the sheds before you run out onto the field. Savour the event among those who respect and understand it the most.
    Totally agree, players should get revved in the change room, wait until they hear the "time on" whistle, before running straight through the shed door, and on to the field.

vCash
    Agreeing with others IMveryHO I personally love it, but the opposing teams should be able to respond however they want..
    MI5 suggestion for the Wallabies response would be very funny to see.. I'd like to see that..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3