Thread: Ex-Crusader Maitland charged over kebab shop brawl

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Ex-Crusader Maitland charged over kebab shop brawl

LIAM HYSLOP

Last updated 09:30 15/11/2013

Former Crusaders winger Sean Maitland has been charged with assault in Glasgow, the BBC reports.

Maitland, 25, was charged along with Scotland and Glasgow Warriors teammate Ryan Grant, 29, and another man, Rory Hughes, 20, in relation to a late-night kebab shop brawl with an opposition player.

Another Glasgow Warriors player, Ryan Wilson, was admitted on the same charges last week.

Their alleged victim Ally Maclay, who plays for rival club Glasgow Hawks, had to be admitted to hospital after the incident.

The charges have been laid just days before Tokoroa-born Maitland and Grant were due to play for Scotland against South Africa.

It is not known whether this will jeopardise their places in the team.

The four men were expected to appear in court next month.

A Glasgow Warriors spokesman told The Scotsman newspaper: "We regard any allegations of player misconduct extremely seriously.

"As part of our own procedures we would always instigate an extensive internal inquiry into any allegations of player conduct falling below the high standards that are part and parcel of Scottish Rugby's ethos and values.

"We are continuing our own internal investigation into an alleged incident last month, while at all times co-operating fully with the authorities.

Maitland debuted for the Crusaders in 2008 and was signed by the Warriors in October last year.

New Zealand-born, he qualifies to play for Scotland through both of his grandfathers.

He was selected for the British and Irish Lions' successful tour of Australia earlier this year but didn't feature in any of the tests.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...bab-shop-brawl

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Shows that the writers know nothing.

Glasgow Hawks are not rivals of the Glasgow Warriors, they are a feeder team. That's the same as saying that Wests are rivals of the Western Force.

knowing Sean personally, I can only guess the guy must have been a real tosser to provoke that, as I've never even seen Sean Maitland confront someone in an agressive way, let alone assault them. He's normally more likely to laugh at them and walk away.

WARURA Referee
    I do it because I love the game.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    There's some breaking news!!

Scotsmen fighting!!!

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Next there will be front page news

Two Irishmen walked into a bar......

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    You would have thought one would have seen it....
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Will a late night kebab shop brawl have any impact on his selection for Scotland.......he'll yes! He will be named in the leadership group (unless he's sporting a black eye)

C'mon the